Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 13:49   #1

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Book Storage

My wife and I love books. We have probably more books than anyone else I know. We have basicly a whole room in our current house set up for books. We're not totaly nuts about it. Nothing special or rare that requires special conditions. Just loughts of books.

While we might downsize some in moving aboard, we will likly still have loughts of books that we just can't bear to part with. (At least at first.)

What are good recomendations for storing books on a boat? I'm slowly looking at buying a trawler type yacht.

I'm assuming some sort of shelving system, but I have no idea how to really secure the books, and I'm suspecting I'd require some methoid to control the humidity.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 13:58   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You don't really control humidity on a boat unless you run AC, heat and or dehumidifiers full time and that means lots of power. We read a lot too and we find we carry a minimum of books on boards, storage is always premium, and find libraries and book swaps either at marinas or wherever cruisers gather. So we never run out of something to read. As to shelves, we secure things in open shelves with either bungee cords or teak battens. We went from sail to trawler, BTW.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 14:49   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I know it sucks, but books are just not very happy aboard... they mildew, mold, swell and curl almost no matter what you do. Books we have aboard live in their own plastic sleeves, like the kind a set of pillow case might come in or zipbags.

We are investing in electronic books. less space and less bother (don't have to secure virtual books with a bungee!)

It's not the same, I know, but in many ways it's better.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 14:52   #4

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Sara is right (as usual), the best way to store books is in a Kindle (see here: Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store )

I wrecked quite a few books on my first cruise. Dampness and mold simply took its toll...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 15:02   #5

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I know it sucks, but books are just not very happy aboard... they mildew, mold, swell and curl almost no matter what you do. Books we have aboard live in their own plastic sleeves, like the kind a set of pillow case might come in or zipbags.

We are investing in electronic books. less space and less bother (don't have to secure virtual books with a bungee!)

I also have gone the e-book route. I think it is the way of the future and a massive space saver. The biggest problem I find is the ability to get adventure/sailing books. Anybody know where to download some? Perhaps we are able to organize getting books scanned and made available in digital format. I know there will be restrictions when it comes to copyright laws. Any thoughts?
hank
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 07:17   #6

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
So the only way to control the humidity for the books would be continuous a/c.

Well that's not so good.

I was hopeing there was a way to use sealed containers, and a regeneratable desicent of some sort.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 07:33   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
So the only way to control the humidity for the books would be continuous a/c.

Well that's not so good.

I was hopeing there was a way to use sealed containers, and a regeneratable desicent of some sort.

I suppose you could make that work but it is sure a lot of trouble and will take up a ton of space when there are many other options available.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 07:43   #8

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

I was reading a great book on FDR in the cockpit one afternoon underway when an oddball wave hit the side of the boat just right and.... Whoosh!Splash!Smash! Soaked book. I was able to separate and dry the book's pages so I could complete it. What's the story on the kindle???? Do they make them water-proof and is the screen adjustable for being in the sun?
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 08:05   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Books do NOT like boats!

The covers go all wrinkly after a few months.

Worst of all they take up a huge amount of space and they are heavy but don't count as ballast.

So you need to take just a few books and swap them with other cruisers.

Now, guess whats the WORST thing about your love of fine books?

Other cruisers read crap! Then tell you its wonderful so they can offload their literary villainy to you.

The most diablical trash is printed these days and, yes, you will be stuck at sea on some 30 day passage with only the dud runs of cheap railway station romances or cowboy thrillers..

Welcome to cruising!

By the way, we have some books to swap

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 08:10   #10

I'm currently working my way through the Jack Aubrey books... a good read if you don't mind archaic english.

However, there are 20 of them.....

PS... The wife loves Terry Pratchett. She's got the complete set.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 08:37   #11

Boat: Islander Mark II 30, 30ft - Zephyr
Yes the Kindle has a screen the you can read outside. They say it is just like the page of a book. I have been researching them myself.
Captin_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 08:59   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
What's the story on the kindle???? Do they make them water-proof and is the screen adjustable for being in the sun?
Do like for a radio or cell phone, stick it in a clear zipbag or a waterproof bag when you feel there is a risk. The buttons work thru the plastic.

The screen can be adjusted for different light levels and the font can be set at a comfortable size, great for reading if the eyes aint what they used ta be!

Old 13-05-2010, 09:56   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I'm currently working my way through the Jack Aubrey books... a good read if you don't mind archaic english.
Do you get a mental image of Russel Crowe?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 10:02   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post

However, there are 20 of them.....

PS... The wife loves Terry Pratchett. She's got the complete set.
Heh. And I have read every one of them! Pratchett is a fav in our house as well...
And Russel Crowe was pretty fine in the movie version ; -)
Good reading is a necessity in any endeavor. I don't go to the grocery store with out something to read...

Old 13-05-2010, 12:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Do you get a mental image of Russel Crowe?
Yes I do! Although the descriptions of Aubrey and Maturin in the books are very different from the actors who played them, it's the actors' faces who stay with me. I cannot moan. I enjoyed the movie so I bought the book and now I've got a bundle of the books. I'm reading "The Ionian Mission" at the moment and he's heading your way MarkJ in a fast sloop with lots of cannons and looking for prizes.

Sarafina - glad you like Pratchett. I wasn't sure if he was big in the US. Apparently there was nearly a movie made of "Mort" (for the uninformed, Death (skeleton, scythe, pale horse, etc) wants some time off and trains up an incompetent apprentice) and the movie company did research in well known centres of US culture, such as Power Cable, Nebraska, and pronounced that they loved the story, great plot, but was there a way to tone down the part of Death? It wasn't playing well with the focus groups. End of movie

Actually Pratchett was on the radio last night. I'm not sure if this is available outside the UK, but Terry Pratchett is 11 minutes in

BBC iPlayer - The Museum of Curiosity: Series 3: Episode 1

Now answer me this. Why does the INSIDE of the boat get so darn wet? It has a roof hasn't it? Are we talking drips from the ceiling landing on your head? Do I need a gross of towels? Or blotting paper???
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote