Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2014, 15:04   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: The Yard Guys

OK guys, this is getting pretty silly and trivial. Let's step away from arguing about whether the class A rating, for a NEW boat is meaningful or hype.

Instead, let us consider whether the lightly built new boat, which is highly dependent upon the glued-in liner/grid for structural integrity, will be fit for purpose after five or ten years of service? The brass through hulls can be renewed, other systems can be inspected and updated (just like in the older designs) but what about the hull?

I think that it is arguable that the A rating will still be in effect (not aware of a time limit or a need for re-certification) at such time. I wonder if the boat will still be as sound as when built. Our resident experts have mentioned that inspection of the adhesive joints in such boats is impossible. How will one determine if the boat is sound? I'm not expressing an opinion here, but suspect that the older, more heavily built boat will survive the years better. Several of you have mentioned that there is an implicit "use-by" date associated with modern construction, yet there is no mention of this in the A classification AFAIK.

Oh... for Smack: It was not me who was saying watermakers and gen sets are necessary for long passages. None of my passage making boats have had either.

Jim