Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 22:28   #196

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: 15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Being a bit bored this arvo, I just googled "origin of the Genoa jib"...

Heaps of hits, and ya know what? Nearly every one used the term "Genoa JIB" in their discourse. And this leads me to the conclusion that the Genoa is a sub-set of the class "jib". So (not that I really care) it seems that a Genoa is indeed a jib, just one that overlaps the mast.

Sailors tend to shorten terms in casual use, hence a Genoa Jib has become a Genoa in common discourse... but it is still a jib.

And you can go on arguing about it forever, but studious folks who worry about language seem to have it covered pretty well.

Jim
Old 25-11-2020, 22:47   #197

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Being a bit bored this arvo, I just googled "origin of the Genoa jib"...

Heaps of hits, and ya know what? Nearly every one used the term "Genoa JIB" in their discourse. And this leads me to the conclusion that the Genoa is a sub-set of the class "jib". So (not that I really care) it seems that a Genoa is indeed a jib, just one that overlaps the mast.

Sailors tend to shorten terms in casual use, hence a Genoa Jib has become a Genoa in common discourse... but it is still a jib.

And you can go on arguing about it forever, but studious folks who worry about language seem to have it covered pretty well.

Jim
The Wikipedia page is interesting, and the Talk page of that as well!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_(sail)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Genoa_(sail)
Old 25-11-2020, 23:11   #198

Interesting how the italian wiki says the inventor is italian and not swedish.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_(vela)

I suppose before 1926 there were only jibs. Was there any overlapping jibs before the genoa?

Now days it seems a decent (maybe majority?) amount of people like to refer to non overlapping headsails as jibs and overlapping as genoas. Maybe it's just terminologies changing overtime.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 01:01   #199

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I suppose before 1926 there were only jibs. Was there any overlapping jibs before the genoa?
Well, this is one instance:

"Genoa (sail) - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Genoa_(sail)
A similar type of jib was in use for centuries by the fishermen in the Netherlands with their Botter type ships. The fishermen relied on the combination of a large jib while fishing so the mainsail could remain unused. After fishing the fisherman's jib helped to get the fish to markets fast"

There are very few ideas in sailing that are truly new. Older manifestations may not have been as well engineered or use modern materials, but the general ideas were there. Sailors have been pondering problems for centuries, and some clever folks had lots of long night watches to think about things!

Jim
Old 26-11-2020, 02:08   #200
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Geez, Im sorry I brought it up.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 02:10   #201
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL2 View Post
Why should it read that...? Yes it true i capsized my race boat and I've never shied away from that to point where I made it and the events public on forums so myself and others could learn from it....
BTW it's a race boat so we were pushing it not unlike a race bike / car that is used on the track... accidents happen in this environment

So what's your point ...?
Dont take it to heart XL2, there are some who respect you for taking a classic Australian boat and racing her hard and some who simply dont have your knowledge experience or ability. I am in the former category, I remember XL2 setting a Gladstone record way back when, one of my favourite boats.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 02:25   #202

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Typically sailing speeds are qualified as port to port, distance sailed is irrelevant.

Disagree.... racers always quote NMiles in 24 hours, they are not always heading to their destination.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:25   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Interesting how the italian wiki says the inventor is italian and not swedish.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_(vela)

Now days it seems a decent (maybe majority?) amount of people like to refer to non overlapping headsails as jibs and overlapping as genoas. Maybe it's just terminologies changing overtime.
It's the evolution of language. Genoas are Jibs, but a specific type of jib. A Storm Sail is a jib. A genoa is a jib. A jib is a jib. The captain says put up the jib. Which one? Words have meaning. Words in context matter. However, there are "purists" as they see themselves, whose mission in life is to have everyone agree with their terminology.
Old 26-11-2020, 09:02   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Disagree.... racers always quote NMiles in 24 hours, they are not always heading to their destination.
Races/records are point to point, it doesn't matter how many mile you sail, it matters how many miles you have sailed toward your destination. Records are distance divided by time. The only number that really matters is average time for the course. That's why we try to sail the best VMC, so our passage average is good.

https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/records
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 09:44   #205
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Races/records are point to point, it doesn't matter how many mile you sail, it matters how many miles you have sailed toward your destination. Records are distance divided by time. The only number that really matters is average time for the course. That's why we try to sail the best VMC, so our passage average is good.

Wow, Banque Popular is 35% faster than Comanche. Sucks to be a monohull, and really a catamaran in general.
Old 26-11-2020, 11:47   #206

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Perhaps some of us have gotten carried away with televised and YouTube clips of offshore racing.

The vast majority of "racing" is not about speed records or point to point or French pro sailors.

It is not about NMiles in 24 hours.

It's about beating your competitors from the start to the finish around a course which may include point to point or buoys or a combination.

It is virtually always not about who has the biggest (131ft) vessel with the biggest budget. Most races are one design or handicapped. When you speak of the "racers" in the forum, that's who we're speaking of

And I guarantee you all, Cat fans and mono men alike, it does not suck to be a monohull.
Old 26-11-2020, 11:52   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Perhaps some of us have gotten carried away with televised and YouTube clips of offshore racing.

The vast majority of "racing" is not about speed records or point to point or French pro sailors.

It is not about NMiles in 24 hours.

It's about beating your competitors from the start to the finish around a course which may include point to point or buoys or a combination.

It is virtually always not about who has the biggest (131ft) vessel with the biggest budget. Most races are one design or handicapped. When you speak of the "racers" in the forum, that's who we're speaking of

And I guarantee you all, Cat fans and mono men alike, it does not suck to be a monohull.
Truely is and i would love to see how a few of those on would deal with a solo transpac or vic maui. Its as much as just making it as anything else
Old 26-11-2020, 12:00   #208
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
it does not suck to be a monohull.
Unless your trying to set a sailing speed record. Then it does - big time. Like HUGE.

Old 26-11-2020, 12:59   #209

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Unless your trying to set a sailing speed record. Then it does - big time. Like HUGE.

Slower boats have their own speed records.

In mixed fleets one often sneers at those in the older slower boats, but once I crewed on a Cal 20 I found the racing with other Cal 20s as intense as in almost any other racing. At 3 knots boat speed. That’s why watching most sailboat racing is as interesting as watching paint dry!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 13:10   #210

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/24-hour-distance
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, catamaran, Portugal, size