Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 14:04   #166
XL2

Boat: Crowther Super Shockwave
Re: 15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Yes but it is still a jib sail
I respectfully disagree
Just because https://sailingfortuitous.com/jib-calc/ speaks this language doesn't make it right
But then half way down the front page of this above link it goes on to explain it..... google is your friend....
XL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 14:08   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL2 View Post
I respectfully disagree
Just because https://sailingfortuitous.com/jib-calc/ speaks this language doesn't make it right..... google is your friend....
I could continue to post links from the various sail lofts but no amount of proof will ever change some peoples made up minds. So I will now stop and we can see if there is anything new on the loss of this catamaran.
Old 25-11-2020, 14:15   #168
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Geneoa/Jib is like the difference between a rectangle and a square. A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not (necessarily) a square.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 14:23   #169
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

For me Genoas and Jibs are different types of headsails..
A No1 Genoa is 175% and reducing accordingly with a very low cut foot at deck level.
A Jib on the other hand is cut with a high foot starting with the No1 jib at 100%.
Cruisers of old did not use Genoas as they were to heavy to lug around, more so when wet..
They became more fashionable as man-made fires made them lighter and easier to handle.
My first boat came with a No1, 2 and 3 jib, the No1 leech brushed the mast, just.
Both are obviously headsails.
Modern terminology however no longer makes this distinction it seems.

An enthusiastic amateur delivery skipper.. Pro's grab every job whereas I pick and choose 2 to 4 a year as they come along and pass on the rest..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 14:35   #170
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I disagree
nice interior that you can live on with light furniture and and minimal weight achieved by things like no hood linings or sound deadening.
very workable galley and bathrooms
I'd call it a great combination cruiser that can be raced. Certainly not a race boat....
I own a race boat that can be cruised...
And..... I call a large % of production cats "sail assisted" power boats these days. A sailboat in my opinion needs to go to weather... but that's me

I’d agree. We’ve been living and cruising on our 40’ open bridgedeck racer/cruiser for 2 years and are very comfortable, so the TS5 would be palatial compared to our 40’er and palatial compared to any of the catamarans that we’ve owned and lived on. Maybe instead of cruiser I should have stated racer/cruiser or cruiser/racer, either way one hell of a boat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 14:35   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For me Genoas and Jibs are different types of headsails..
A No1 Genoa is 175% and reducing accordingly with a very low cut foot at deck level.
A Jib on the other hand is cut with a high foot starting with the No1 jib at 100%.
Cruisers of old did not use Genoas as they were to heavy to lug around, more so when wet..
They became more fashionable as man-made fires made them lighter and easier to handle.
My first boat came with a No1, 2 and 3 jib, the No1 leech brushed the mast, just.
Both are obviously headsails.
Modern terminology however no longer makes this distinction it seems.

An enthusiastic amateur delivery skipper.. Pro's grab every job whereas I pick and choose 2 to 4 a year as they come along and pass on the rest..
About the same here except my first sailboat ( not a toy type)
Had way to many sails for a 24 ft boat 150, 120, 100, 80 and 2 spinnakers asymmetrical and a normal symmetrical. Along with a spinnaker pole and an adjustable whisker. All were hank on .

As a now retired shipwright it seemed excessive to me even back then
Old 25-11-2020, 14:42   #172
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Quote:
About the same here except my first sailboat ( not a toy type)
Had way to many sails for a 24 ft boat 150, 120, 100, 80 and 2 spinnakers asymmetrical and a normal symmetrical. Along with a spinnaker pole and an adjustable whisker. All were hank on .

As a now retired shipwright it seemed excessive to me even back then
Mine was 24ft as well, pitch pine on oak frames.. No plastic fantastic.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 15:23   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mine was 24ft as well, pitch pine on oak frames.. No plastic fantastic.
1924 Mckenzie fir on oak 3/4 keel cutaway forefoot masthead sloop.
Next was my islander bahama classic plastic.
I got tired of corking and bottom work all the time
Old 25-11-2020, 15:47   #174

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I got tired of corking
Me? Well I just love corking... or more specifically un-corking. That lovely "POP" as the cork leaves the neck of the bottle, aahhhhh, true music to my ears.

How could you tire of that?

Jim
Old 25-11-2020, 16:29   #175
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
I disagree
nice interior that you can live on with light furniture and and minimal weight achieved by things like no hood linings or sound deadening.
very workable galley and bathrooms
I'd call it a great combination cruiser that can be raced. Certainly not a race boat....
I own a race boat that can be cruised...
And..... I call a large % of production cats "sail assisted" power boats these days. A sailboat in my opinion needs to go to weather... but that's me
And I disagree. I watched the video again and really think the interior looks like crap, especially for what I can imagine it cost. Look, I can live in a tent, but choose not to. But I don't call a tent a house. Call it what is it.

It's also funny to read you "super racer" cat sailors bash the rest of us. Just so you know, we don't care - not at all. No way would I give up all the nice things that makes cruising comfortable for my wife, family, friends, and myself for the sparsity it takes to achieve whatever level of performance your bragging about.

But in other news, I don't recall a thread deviating so far off topic - ever. Literally the last 3 pages have had maybe 5% to do with the specific catamaran capsize and instead is now arguing what head sails are called. Now that we all should find hilarious. For those in the US, have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 25-11-2020, 16:45   #176

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But in other news, I don't recall a thread deviating so far off topic - ever. Literally the last 3 pages have had maybe 5% to do with the specific catamaran capsize and instead is now arguing what head sails are called.
This is true... but really, there has been little real new info since around page 2 and we're now on page 12. Not surprising that folks have drifted off in the discussions. Kinda like killing time, keeping the thread bumped and hoping that some new info will appear, info that will educate us as to what really happened.

To me, this is better than endlessly debating the same old discussion with no further input. YMMV, and that's ok.

Jim
Old 25-11-2020, 16:46   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Me? Well I just love corking... or more specifically un-corking. That lovely "POP" as the cork leaves the neck of the bottle, aahhhhh, true music to my ears.

How could you tire of that?

Jim
Back in the day the guys that did the caulking of the mso's made here at tacoma boat .
We were called corkers because caulkers didn't sound right at the bars in Seattle .
Think about it .
MSO = minesweeper ocean
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggr...vy%2C%20among%
Old 25-11-2020, 16:50   #178
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
And I disagree. I watched the video again and really think the interior looks like crap, especially for what I can imagine it cost. Look, I can live in a tent, but choose not to. But I don't call a tent a house. Call it what is it.

It's also funny to read you "super racer" cat sailors bash the rest of us. Just so you know, we don't care - not at all. No way would I give up all the nice things that makes cruising comfortable for my wife, family, friends, and myself for the sparsity it takes to achieve whatever level of performance your bragging about.

But in other news, I don't recall a thread deviating so far off topic - ever. Literally the last 3 pages have had maybe 5% to do with the specific catamaran capsize and instead is now arguing what head sails are called. Now that we all should find hilarious. For those in the US, have a nice Thanksgiving.

There’s no doubt your FP 56 is going to have more space and creature comforts than the TS5. Sometimes to gain the pace you have to give up the space, and that’s purely a buyers choice. And I wouldn’t consider your cat a dog.
I don’t think the performance based crowd bash the others, once again a personal choice. We are on our 11th catamaran and each one has guided us to what we desire. I’m sure we’ve had many sailors dinghy by our cat and feel sorry for us based on the living space, but to be honest we don’t need more.
As far as thread drift, at least at this point I feel as if I’ve learned the correct way to run over a deer in my truck, which hopefully will never happen.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 17:17   #179
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
As far as thread drift, at least at this point I feel as if I’ve learned the correct way to run over a deer in my truck, which hopefully will never happen.
Holy crap, I literally spit out my drink. Still laughing. Wow, needed it. Thanks.
Old 25-11-2020, 18:37   #180
XL2

Boat: Crowther Super Shockwave

Quote:
I could continue to post links from the various sail lofts but no amount of proof will ever change some peoples made up minds. So I will now stop and we can see if there is anything new on the loss of this catamaran.
I'm a sailmaker.... or was.....but you are right... and it doesn't matter ... i was just being factual
XL2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, catamaran, Portugal, size