Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 14:36   #211

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft
Re: 15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Unless your trying to set a sailing speed record. Then it does - big time. Like HUGE.

Show me a cat that’s faster than a ac75 MONO. I wonder if they are sitting there say, gee it must suck to be on a cat, they’re so slow.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 15:14   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
So you reach for 24 hours or 4 hours or 30 minutes or 1/4 mile, who cares.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 15:40   #213
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Show me a cat that’s faster than a ac75 MONO. I wonder if they are sitting there say, gee it must suck to be on a cat, they’re so slow.
Old fella, I doubt it. Most likely they are hoping they don't shat themselves as the boat takes a winger. It is funny that you would pick the AC75's. Have you actually seen them in a race yet? Me either. Why? I'm going with they are super unstable and potentially dangerous when in close proximity to each other. IMO the 2021 Americas Cup will go down as the worst in history. The other problem is none of them have hit their "theoretical speeds yet of 40 to 50 knots". So since an F50 has broken 50 knots, they are faster.

Easy as eating cake:

Compared to this --

Old 26-11-2020, 15:54   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Truely is and i would love to see how a few of those on would deal with a solo transpac or vic maui. Its as much as just making it as anything else
Agreed. I spent many years on monohulls. The lean is cool until you forget to secure below decks. In the days before refrigeration, ice chests were the substitute. I had my fill of them breaking free and spilling food and cold water over the interior. Cats ride flat in my older years, flat is good.
Old 26-11-2020, 17:04   #215

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Old fella, I doubt it. Most likely they are hoping they don't shat themselves as the boat takes a winger. It is funny that you would pick the AC75's. Have you actually seen them in a race yet? Me either. Why? I'm going with they are super unstable and potentially dangerous when in close proximity to each other. IMO the 2021 Americas Cup will go down as the worst in history. The other problem is none of them have hit their "theoretical speeds yet of 40 to 50 knots". So since an F50 has broken 50 knots, they are faster.

Easy as eating cake:

Compared to this --

Team NZ has reported that both their AC75s have broken 50 knots but haven’t released actual speeds. In a 9m RHIB we paced the first boat in sub 10 knots wind at 43 knots, and they were pulling away.

Apparently the speed potentials of AC75s are same as the previous 50 foot cats because they’re using the same kind of foils. Once they’re out of the water the number of hulls doesn’t matter. To go faster they would need to use super-cavitation foils. https://amp.tvnz.co.nz/news/story/JT...50LWRhbHRvbg==

Why are you saying “worst in history“? In San Francisco there were only two competitive teams, while this year there will be four. The boats are as stable as a Formula 1 car is stable - it takes skill to keep the upright and racing by definition pushes the limits.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 17:27   #216

Quote:

Easy as eating cake:

Compared to this --

Na, no matter who wins it’ll be a great race. If there is a few mishaps along the way just makes it more exciting. The worst cup was the one when Conner made the weak kneed decision to put that cat up against the j boat (a true sportsman) I think most of world was embarrassed for America, kind of like they are now for a different reason. Anyway, I wouldn’t mind seeing the poms win it, after all, it is their cup eh.
Old 26-11-2020, 18:07   #217
XL2

Boat: Crowther Super Shockwave

Quote:

Easy as eating cake:

Compared to this --

Boy ... how wrong could you be (In my humble opinion) They are very stable and have had surprisingly very few mishaps at this point...
They will be no more dangerous than the last two cups or Sail GP's (Still dangerous when you consider they are doing 50knots crossing tacks)..

All boats have reported 50 or close to.

These comments remind me of when it was announced that AC boats were going to multis and admittedly the first one was a mismatch.. The purists all bagged it saying match racing and the cup was dead and it would be a farce. How wrong they were as San Fran. It was the closest final series in history when you consider how many races were sailed. I still believe that's the best venue in the world for it...

Old fella.... Challengers and Defenders have always used the rules in any way possible to get an edge and they never seem to have a conscience when doing it.... The Cat Vs Dog was a joke but DC will tell you the Kiwis never gave him a chance, time wise, to build a Dog that could compete so I'm not sure it was all the yanks fault..... it's good reading
XL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 18:25   #218

We will see soon enough won't we. Regardless of the AC, the Vendee Globe has been excellent to follow. What's amazing to me with that race is the number of woman (6) competing.

I hope you know I'm just screwing around anyway. Bored holiday here in the States on lockdown.
Old 26-11-2020, 18:29   #219
XL2

Boat: Crowther Super Shockwave

Quote:

Easy as eating cake:

Compared to this --

Quote:
We will see soon enough won't we. Regardless of the AC, the Vendee Globe has been excellent to follow. What's amazing to me with that race is the number of woman (6) competing.

I hope you know I'm just screwing around anyway. Bored holiday here in the States on lockdown.
Yeah, me too... And yes it's great to see the girls in numbers
Now we need the Jules Verne and Vendee trackers to join so we keep track of all on one page....
Sensational
XL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 18:43   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL2 View Post
Boy ... how wrong could you be (In my humble opinion) They are very stable and have had surprisingly very few mishaps at this point...
They will be no more dangerous than the last two cups or Sail GP's (Still dangerous when you consider they are doing 50knots crossing tacks)..

All boats have reported 50 or close to.

These comments remind me of when it was announced that AC boats were going to multis and admittedly the first one was a mismatch.. The purists all bagged it saying match racing and the cup was dead and it would be a farce. How wrong they were as San Fran. It was the closest final series in history when you consider how many races were sailed. I still believe that's the best venue in the world for it...

Old fella.... Challengers and Defenders have always used the rules in any way possible to get an edge and they never seem to have a conscience when doing it.... The Cat Vs Dog was a joke but DC will tell you the Kiwis never gave him a chance, time wise, to build a Dog that could compete so I'm not sure it was all the yanks fault..... it's good reading
Yeah, your right, at the time it was a bitter pill to swallow, such a complete waste of an America’s cup regatta that most of us look forward too. It’s funny, I loved when it was the old 12 mtr boats, real match racing etc...etc, yet I am finding this even more exciting. Makes you wonder, is there any limits to what they can do.
Old 27-11-2020, 17:21   #221

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Just a slight correction regarding the AC75 boats.

All the teams have reported hitting 50kn ish, but wont disclose their actual top speed.

After launching their second boat ETNZ have now revised the top speed goal up, to the low to mid 50s...

That's moving.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 18:54   #222

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
"Have you actually seen them in a race yet? Me either. Why? I'm going with they are super unstable and potentially dangerous when in close proximity to each other."

Why? Maybe because the are brand F**king new, in case it hasn't dawned on you.

"Most likely they are hoping they don't shat themselves as the boat takes a winger."

Anyone who has watched these guys sail the AC boats over the several cups will have noticed that they are they ultimate professionals, cool in the face of danger, not likely to lose control of their bowels. In fact I am not sure what kind of a person even thinks that way. Remember when TNZ was capsizing in the 72 foot cat in 2013? It was over 75 degrees but the crew kept pumping on the handles to get enough hydraulic to tack the wing and set them back down. That takes balls.

the 2021 Americas Cup will go down as the worst in history

Not likely. It depends on what you want. Some people want to see 12 meter boats sailing for the AC again. Personally I liked the 72' cats. But this cup will be astonishing. We all have run out of superlatives to describe these boats. What can screw it up? If one team runs away with it totally. Otherwise, I think it will be magnificent.
Old 12-03-2021, 17:46   #223

Quote:
There are some post's I make that later make me think "Wow, got that wrong". This is one of them. Gotta admit, the race is spectacular. I don't think the boats are any faster then a F50 but wow is it fun to watch.
Old 12-03-2021, 22:02   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Do you see the port daggerboard? I doubt you could see any damage from this angle/distance.

Matt
Just a thought on not seeing the port dagger board. Performance cats often have the windward board pulled up into the hull to reduce drag.
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 22:15   #225

Quote:
There are some post's I make that later make me think "Wow, got that wrong". This is one of them. Gotta admit, the race is spectacular. I don't think the boats are any faster then a F50 but wow is it fun to watch.
Yeah I know what you mean, I’m fizzing at the bung watching these races. I understand though even if the kiwis win the cup, it looks like they will take the next cup off shore. The good thing about that is it could create more challenges, although I would prefer to see it stay here.

Tags
capsize, catamaran, Portugal, size