Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2017, 10:32   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Small boat, new sails, keep old ones?

When I bought my Albin Vega 27, I immediately replaced the 150 genoa with a brand new 130, storing the old one in the aft locker. I am now replacing the main sail with a brand new one as well, and would be faced with finding a place to stow it, as well.

My decision to replace the sails is a result of their "fair" condition and my plans to circumnavigate, or at least cross the South Pacific this season. I like having back-ups, and I have a back-up for almost everything on the boat. However, should I really be carrying the old sails as back-ups?

My concern is that they take up a lot of space, and add unnecessary weight, both of which might be better saved for more important gear. What are your guys' thoughts?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 10:36   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Small boat, new sails, keep old ones?

Your sails are your engines.

If one or both of your "engines" gets destroyed how would you cross the Pacific? Even if just one gets destroyed, it can severely reduce your speed (and alter your course)

I'd say spare engines (sails) are pretty important unless you are planning to carry enough fuel to motor the distance you had planned to sail.......

Besides that, they are so easy to store. I have spare sails in the V Berth where I sleep and sometime use a part of one as a cover when it gets cold at night

I'd rather be prepared (to lose a sail) than not especially when sailing across the open ocean.

Of course, maybe it's just the racer in me. We are used to having two of every sail for the different conditions
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 10:48   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sails in good condition are rarely destroyed suddenly. The usual failure mode is stitching failure, and that is usually due to sun rot, and can be seen coming. Restitching can be done by hand if necessary, and done at sea, albeit awkwardly. Finally, your Albin will sail on either sail alone, obviously not as well as with both, but loss of one doesn't mean that you must motor to your destination.

In a small boat, starting with new sails, IMO carrying spares is not necessary. Having a smaller jib than your 130, ie some manner of storm sail, and a very deep 3d reef in the main is, on the other hand, quite a good idea.

Jim
Old 21-11-2017, 11:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In a small boat, starting with new sails, IMO carrying spares is not necessary. >>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lots of logic here. ^^^

Leave the old sails with someone you trust. If you need one or more, have them shipped to you.

Safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 11:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think you know the answer to this one, you like us just don't have the room to store lots of sails. We do keep a 80% jib on board plus the storm jib and the cruising chute but haven't the room for other older sails.

I sold our old Genoa on e bay and the buyer was delighted with a cheap sail to get him going for a while. The old main which was replaced last Spring is at home in the roof, again will be sold in the Spring.

If you are planning some long distance trips I suspect the space will be used for higher priority items like food and water. That said Jim has already mentioned a storm jib which will be very small folded up and a second hand spinnaker or cruising chute be useful in the calms.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 12:20   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You don't have much room as it is in your Albin. I wouldn't waste it with an old "fair" sail. It is better used with a new headsail, or maybe a trysail, that can double as a pillow in the V-berth! I have a boat not much bigger than yours and I have an old main that I can't seem to bring myself to part with, but I don't carry it on the boat. If I need to get work done on my good main I may pull the old one on just to hold me over till the good one's back. But if I were going on a longer trip, I'd still leave it at home. You'll need every cubic inch in your boat as it is, and even then be careful not to overload it IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 14:46   #7

A spare set of sails on a small boat like a Vega 27 take up almost no room and can be stashed almost anywhere.

I'd have two set of sails period. You could spread them out flat in your sleeping area if you lacked other storage space. It just doesn't make a lot of sense not to carry spares if you have them

I have friends that had their jib ripped totally in half just out day sailing when a strong squall passed over.

But to each his own. Those ladies that were rescued a month or so ago in the Pacific went with lots of food and drink stores and did fine out there drifting around.

Maybe it's a new trend! Bring lots of food and water but no backup for what makes your boat move through the water

I'd rather be able to control my own destiny though with a spare set of sails should my original set become damaged.

Those that mentioned repairing ripped sails is a good idea but I'm thinking re-sewing/repairing a ripped sail while underway with your spare set would be even better for some of us.

But everyone is different ............
Old 21-11-2017, 15:24   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

I still have a "spare" mainsail from a boat I sold 10 years ago in my basement.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 16:46   #9

Boat: halmatic 30

I was in same position when I left home 31\2 years ago. Brought them both with me but haven't had to use them yet. Would think the main is one of the most important backups to have aboard. Meet 2 sailor's that came across Pacific this year both had ripped their main just above the foot,, the sail material had ripped all the way along. One sail was very old other was very new. Try to get these repaired or shipped in new is difficult,very time consuming and expensive. If not impossible on all but a few islands. I'd say don't leave without them.
spraoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 19:15   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If I was bringing a small sewing machine I’d take 1 set of sails. Without the machine 2 sets of the basics (main, 135 & 80).
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 19:17   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well if you have the room to stuff it out of the way and the sail really is in good shape I can see it.... I just see all my space disappear when I pack up the family for a trip... I can’t think of where I’d stuff one. But then I have headsails, masks snorkels, wetsuits, pillows, sleeping bags, paddles and kayak stuff, etc. It’s not a huge boat.... though I confess I could probably rearrange some things to be more organized....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 20:01   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

If it was me I'd dump the old sails. You just don't have room on a boat that size with all your cruising gear. Put together a decent sail repair kit. If you want another sail, then I"d add a small headsail. You might find for some passages the small headsail is what you want on the bow, not the 130.
Old 22-11-2017, 06:01   #13

It appears to me that most here are giving advice to this young man based on his (or her) own experiences and in some cases expertise.

Watching the video above, which was quite well made Btw. it appears the OP doesn't have a whole lot of experience with boats, sails, or being on the water.

Some of you "old salts" that know tons about boats, sail repair, knots, fiberglass repair, tides, navigation, storm prep etc have this guy repairing his own sails.

That might work or it could be a very frustrating experience if things start to go wrong while offshore

Others of us know what we know and what we don't.

So maybe the advice should be IF you have the equipment and IF you can repair a sail that's been ripped in half properly, you may not need spare sails.

IF on the other hand, you have never repaired a sail, you may either want to carry spare sails or learn sail repair before you are 1000 miles offshore

The picture below is my repair of the dodger on my boat. I doubt I'll be getting hired anytime soon by a sail maker or canvas company. I used "stuff" from my kayak repair kit to fix a rip in my dodger even though I did have needle and thread onboard and maybe some sunbrella.

My repair of the dodger wouldn't work on a sail especially in big wind....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02045.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	159520  
Old 22-11-2017, 06:34   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

True, however, I got the impression he was starting off with a new Genoa and main sail. So that ought to be two sails he won't need to worry about for a while if they are looked after.

The absence of any storm jib that Jim mentioned ought to be corrected. Especially for a 27ft yacht, that will be the size of table cloth so easy to fold away and store.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 06:44   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small boat, new sails, keep old ones?

Personally I'd store the new in a dry outa the way place under the v berth for example and start my voyage with the old ones..
When theyre trashed in a few thousand miles in a miles from anywhere spot I'd switch to the new..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sails