Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 10:15   #1

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26
Gouwerok/Nordia Lumare 1120 P

Hi,

is anyone familiar with the boat or at least the manufacturer or the yard (Gouwerok / Nordia Van Dam / Lumare 1120 P)?

I'll be looking at one this weekend and there is literally no Information on the boat on the web (and I can't ask the previous owner because he sadly passed away).

I'd be really interested in the Story behind the thing. Seems Gouwerok is dealing mostly in aluminium mega yachts and Nordia was also more into the more luxurious boats before they closed shop. The 1120 is a rather modest 37ft steel sloop, so it would be quite interesting to know if they just rebranded another boat, it didn't sell because its shitty, ... The only thing I found on the web was one race result (of the actual boat I'm interested in) listing it with Yardstick 115 which is quite a bummer.

Thanks, Andi
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 10:29   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Gouwerok/Nordia Lumare 1120 P

Hello andi,

Sorry, no info about the boat. However, if you go look at it, most owners keep their information about how to contact the builder on the boat. It may be there in a notebook of some sort that he left there because he used it there. If you're lucky, there may also be drawings of the design.

Another comment, if it is a one-off, many here will tell you to beware, but also, they can be very desirable boats. For this alloy boat, you'll want to have everything opened up, so you can see under the floorboards and examine the inside of the hull for dirt accumulation (which attracts moisture and pitting), as well as actual pits. It will be great if you can check the welds, as well. Otherwise, a surveyor who is familiar with aluminum boats is the way to go. Another common problem, is pitting in the water tanks, from not filtering out the chlorine from public water supplies before it goes in the tank.

Ann
Old 24-11-2017, 00:41   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Only outside knowledge but here goes...

Nordia was a small Dutch builder of "motor sailors" (read traditional probably Mercedes powered). They may have called them "sail" boats but given the hull shape, full keel and the short waterlines, you are more likely to find a floating "brick house".

Very solid boats probably built of Corten steel, it will be the devil's work to keep rust free. Well engineered!

Definitely safe. I considered one of their larger units before buying my boat.

Good luck.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 01:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
you are more likely to find a floating "brick house".
Thanks for the info, I take anything I can get. These things seem to be so rare, even my dutch friend came up short when I asked him about them.

I've only seen it in the water yet, it looked like a sailboat alright. At least no Deckhouse. But there's plenty of things I don't like on the boat already, like in mast furling, wheel steering and a center cockpit(ish) arrangement.

I'll post some pics after I had a look.

The main reason I'm looking at it is that it's supposedly in very good shape (the owner was a friend of friends of mine and just passed away before setting off RTW). Very sad story and I hope looking at the boat won't be as awkward as I imagine it right now...
Old 24-11-2017, 03:03   #5

Be careful of pre set opinions such as wheel, furling sails etc... these are made to make your life easier.

On a RTW, you get to appreciate their functionality. If I remember correctly, these boats are all round bilged with long overhangs both ends. SLOW RTW for you!

:-)
Old 24-11-2017, 03:21   #6

Quote:
Be careful of pre set opinions such as wheel, furling sails etc... these are made to make your life easier.
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm looking at the boat. Since everything is a compromise anyways, I can live with being on the "wrong" side of the compromise :-)

I'm mostly single-handing, so a tiller is more convenient and has less possibilities for breakage. But maybe I can do a conversion.

I have no experience with furling main-sails but I'm pretty sure I'm f*cked if it jams hard when I'm alone on the boat. Also I'm unsure how difficult adding mast steps and a second track for a trysail may be. Gotta look at it and see what kind of furling it is, ...

... and I already decided to switch to a furling headsail, so I'm almost half way there anyways :-)

Slow will be hard to adjust to, coming from a IW-31 I'm sort of used to playing with the big boys, would be weird to own a much larger boat which is also much slower..
Old 24-11-2017, 05:49   #7

https://www.boat24.com/en/sailboats/...detail/275118/

Is this the one??? FAR TOO MUCH TEAK. IMO of course but she does look nice.

GL in your search.
Old 24-11-2017, 06:49   #8

Quote:
Nope. This one isn't listed yet, it'll probably come up in January through an agent if I don't make a move on it. And it doesn't have copious amounts of teak, if any.
Old 24-11-2017, 09:25   #9

Just contact the builder: Contact
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 15:01   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm looking at the boat. Since everything is a compromise anyways, I can live with being on the "wrong" side of the compromise :-)

I'm mostly single-handing, so a tiller is more convenient and has less possibilities for breakage. But maybe I can do a conversion.

I have no experience with furling main-sails but I'm pretty sure I'm f*cked if it jams hard when I'm alone on the boat. Also I'm unsure how difficult adding mast steps and a second track for a trysail may be. Gotta look at it and see what kind of furling it is, ...

... and I already decided to switch to a furling headsail, so I'm almost half way there anyways :-)

Slow will be hard to adjust to, coming from a IW-31 I'm sort of used to playing with the big boys, would be weird to own a much larger boat which is also much slower..
I hate in mast furling. Sailing single handed I ended up sacandleising the main. (sorry about the spelling) A new sail is on order, I hope it works!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 05:18   #11

Hi There,

Gouwerok is a wellknow quality builder of superstructures in steel and aluminium and is still in full swing! Nordia Lumare, designed by the late Robert van Dam. Nordia was the trade name of yachts designed by him and mainly build by the Van Dam shipyard which is not excisting anymore; superstructures were build by Gouwerok located in the same village.
In a view cases Gouwerok have build a complete yacht such as the Lumare serie.

Regards, Martin Versteeg
Maver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 14:31   #12

Hi,

had a look at her today. Well, mixed feelings, a nice boat but I'm afraid it's not the right choice for me.

Anyways, here is the original advertisement. And if somebody has a suggestion on how to attach a trysail to that mast I'd really appreciate it. I have no clue how to do that besides unfurling the mainsail and funneling the trysail, which is something I don't want to try in a brewing storm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.JPG_web.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	159708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323.JPG_web.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	159709  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5318.JPG_web.JPG