Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 19:57   #31

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: Is a dodger a necessity?

While my current boat has neither dodger nor Bimini, my previous two boats did. I’m a working stiff, so I get to cruise 2-3 weeks each summer. I ended up leaving the dodger off the boat all year, and only putting it on for my cruises. For a day sail, or racing round the bouys, it’s just in the way. While cruising, great to tuck in to get out of the sun or rail, hang on the cockpit at night protected from the wind, etc. I’d fold it down to come in to a dock for ice or fuel, etc.

On the new boat, my priority is to get a Bimini installed first, to avoid roasting in the sun. My Columbia has a very high doghouse - almost neck level, so the cockpit is pretty protected to begin with....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 21:36   #32

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Getting wet and cold gets old very fast. In head winds and with a little chop running, all boats splash water over the bow and in smaller boats like the 30 footer the OP has mentioned that means water arriving in the cockpit occasionally and in bulk. And when it's raining then water runs down the main sail and lands on your head.

With boom reefing, where you tie off the the main on to the boom, in rain, water tends to catch inside the tied up sail sections and so pool. Then every now and again dumps big quantities on your head and in to the cock pit. And when heeling water pools on the down side of the cockpit seating on the low side. Sailors put up with it when racing, given most races are over in a few hours. But sailing a 'wet' boat on a long passage is pretty tough for all crew. And water gets all through the boat as people bring it in with their clothing. There's not many places to hang soaking wet weather gear on a small boat, so better to keep the rain and sea off altogether.

Getting out of the wind makes sailing much more pleasant. For years I've sailed a 26 footer without any bimini or dodger all around New Zealand and it's not much fun when the weather turns. Even in Summer here it can still get cold, and down here it rains often. I've done trips where it's like someone has tipped a bucket of water on my head every few minutes, and the sea water is cold here, never more than 12°C even in Summer.

I have a thing called a boom tent for when anchored out. And it's great. Basically a tent supported by the boom with a couple of poles holding it up there. Keeps the rain off and so allows use of the cockpit when it's inclement weather. Being able to use your cockpit in all weathers when anchored/moored is very useful.

Oh and a last thought OP, a rain catchment system (think garden hose directing water) is very useful.
Old 20-04-2022, 22:04   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I get by without one, but I wish I had a dodger.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 04:58   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

A really good pal of mine became a canvas guy upon retiring. He was a carpenter by trade. He said pocket cruisers so 25-45 feet power boats have a Dodger (windshield) and the piece which attaches to it is the Bimini. And then a camper back is $4,500.00 to 5,500. For a sail boat add 3,000 cause to add a windshield
He said fee dodgers are built right cause sailboat manufactures have poor designs to hold canvas. He likes to use that more permanent plastic windows for them.
He and I have done some cold water deep scuba dives together. The zippers on our dry suits inspired him. He offers “ monster zippers. We also learned diving how valuable zipper wax is too. He demands his canvas buyers use zipper wax. He also mentions a good dodger canvas system must have ventilation and unrestricted view of heading and sails. He gets racers who want nothing but dodgers to change the air flow over the cockpit.
There is a lot more science than we might expect and each boat has options based on use.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 07:26   #35

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

I've seen some in old films, but never thought they still sold them.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 07:43   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I love the sleek look and increased visibility without a dodger but unless it was a summer day boat, I would not be without one in PNW if you plan to sail October - April. Being able to escape bitter cold winds in off-season is critica. I have 30 days sailing on the boat in PNW since Xmas and no matter how many layers I have on, that wind gets in. Being able to stand at the companionway and get some relief for a bit is invaluable.

Of course it will be more expensive to add one later but there is many more important factors on selecting a boat, especially with the limited inventory up here atm.
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 07:48   #37

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Andy View Post
I ask because I've been looking for a sailboat for a while now and I've been excluding boats without dodgers which limits my search numbers. Do you "need" a dodger in a boat under 30'? And a bimini? (In posting I think I just answered my question because there's obviously a lot of boats w/o dodgers that sail perfectly well!) So is it personal preference and consideration of cost to have one or not? I live in the PNW and will be sailing the north Puget Sound
Would be odd that excluding boats without dodgers "limits" your options. dodgers and bimini's (specially dodgers) are almost universal except for the racing crowd! Sailboats with some form of dodger have to be around 80% of the market.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 07:56   #38
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

on our previous boat we removed the dodger from our boat and i really loved the view forward .. totally unobstructed. but in the end that open view let a lot of weather and water into the cockpit and companionway. so for me the dodger is well worth having.
Old 21-04-2022, 08:10   #39

Yes Sir there is a company in newfoundland making them for ever. My chin rope broke but repaired.
Old 21-04-2022, 08:21   #40

Boat: Moody 376

my moody had a dodger and a bimini that had to be attached to the dodger to function. Dodger was too tall and the bimini was too short... so my winter project was to make a new dodger and bimini... did a few late season sails with out the dodger. never again... spent a fraction of the cost doing it my self... I would not ever have a boat with out a dodger. and come summer time the bimini will help keep the skin cancer at bay.

bimini is tall enough to stand under, dodger is short enough to look over the top. dodger will fold forward out of the way easily. bimin stows behind the cockpit and out of the way of the main sheet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger (7).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	256350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	256351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	256352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	256353  

marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 08:23   #41

Boat: Looking to buy

I guess somethings never get old or out of date.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 09:05   #42

We bought a new Dinghy at the “ Covid 2019 Covid Boat Show. WHo Knew!?
It’s an aluminum hull with inflatable tubes.
Locked up m, I found on the internet a bright yellow Bimini in genuine sumbrella 5’ wide with 4 straps 99$ Ive added 2 more straps for easy boarding just folding in the hoop into the main arch. We wander a lot on the Dinghy and the bright yellow is fun but it’s the thinnest sumbrella I’ve seen.
I could not reach either local Yamaha Dealer so we put on a trusty old 4hp Yamaha and look awkwardly underpowered but runs fine.
Old 21-04-2022, 09:10   #43

Thank you Marcjsmith. That’s lovely work.
Old 21-04-2022, 09:28   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Andy View Post
I ask because I've been looking for a sailboat for a while now and I've been excluding boats without dodgers which limits my search numbers. Do you "need" a dodger in a boat under 30'? And a bimini? (In posting I think I just answered my question because there's obviously a lot of boats w/o dodgers that sail perfectly well!) So is it personal preference and consideration of cost to have one or not? I live in the PNW and will be sailing the north Puget Sound
I would have one, especially here in the Northwest. It allows you to keep the companionway open even if it's drizzling a bit. A boat can get real stuffy and humid even when it's cool. It keeps you warmer beating to weather or motoring. (which you do a lot up here)

You can add one later though.... I wouldn't buy a boat based on it's dodger. There are cheaper ones than what many offshore or yacht people have made. But it IS a cost to consider.
A good item to negotiate with and get a $1000 off.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 09:49   #45

Andy:

Late to the party I know, but here is my take:

Like you, I sail in the Salish Sea. TrentePieds will never go west of Neah Bay so there is no need to rig for ocean crossings.

TP had a bimini when she came to us. An unmitigated nuisance, which was promptly removed and hung on my shop wall so it can go to the next owner. TP, though she is fifty years old, will outlast me by far, so I'm sure there will be one :-)

She is a 30-footer and she is a "pilot house sloop", but she isn't really. She has no inside steering station, so "raised deck saloon" is a better description of her. From the saloon you have a 360º view through the windows, and all navigation therefore happens at the dinette table. Paper chart stuff, and techniques from the days when serious seafarers wore the "souwester" discussed in prior posts. Electronic navigation devises are just dandy, but completely unnecessary in the Salish Sea, and they constitute, in my opinion, a "hobby with a hobby". Nothing wrong with that - just not a necessity, nor even something that appeals to me.

You might like to know that in Canadian waters you are required to carry paper charts even if you've got electronic gizmos coming out your ears :-)!

In the "winter", October through May, the winds are strong enuff, very often, to shake the devil out of a binimi, so you are better off without it.

As for the dodger: Yes, dodgers are nice but far from a necessity. A boat that cannot shake off spume and water on deck shouldn't go to sea. So it's all about your own comfort. In the winter I like a "Mustang" brand "floater suit" - totally weather proof, and hooded so you don't need a souwester. In the summer, when it is really warm and there is very little wind, normal light summer clothing, but ALWAYS with a long sleeved cotton shirt and lightweight long trousers to prevent sunburn which can sneak up on you very quickly on the water. No dodger required.

I always wear a forage cap, summer and winter. Such a cap never blows off your head and it will fit under the hood of the floater suit. In fifty years of sailing the Salish Sea without benefit of dodger or bimini, I've never had trouble standing a "double trick" - 8 hours on deck - thus attired. And remember there is nowhere in the Salish Sea that you need even as much as six hours between "hidey holes".

The one thing you will find to be a trial, particularly in the winter in a 30 footer, is that of avoiding water below decks. Once you get water below decks, e.g, by dragging it in on your wet clothing it is almost impossible to get the interior of the boat dry again. But neither dodger nor bimini will help you do that, so you don't need them and IMO you shouldn't let the absence of either stand in the way of getting a nice, well performing boat for a good price!

Slough off your foulies just below the companionway ladder and leave them on the deck sole. Do not let water get on your cushions in the cabin. Once you are in harbour and the weather clears you can dry your foulies and other wet items by hanging them on the life lines till they are dry.

All the best,

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger