Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 10:37   #1

Is a dodger a necessity?

I ask because I've been looking for a sailboat for a while now and I've been excluding boats without dodgers which limits my search numbers. Do you "need" a dodger in a boat under 30'? And a bimini? (In posting I think I just answered my question because there's obviously a lot of boats w/o dodgers that sail perfectly well!) So is it personal preference and consideration of cost to have one or not? I live in the PNW and will be sailing the north Puget Sound
Capt Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 10:41   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Is a dodger a necessity?

A dodger and/or bimini can always be added later if desired. Technically, anything that adds windage like a dodger or bimini is likely to hurt sailing performance. But whether or not you need them will depend on your tolerance for being exposed to wind, spray, sun, etc. all the time while sailing.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 10:44   #3

Boats sail better without a dodger (less windage) Racing boats often don’t have them.

It’s purely a question of crew comfort. You can always add a dodger and most used boat dodgers are so damaged by UV that it’s a good idea to replace them anyways.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 10:55   #4

People who cruise in your area seem to prefer pilot houses and full enclosures. Seems like a hint there.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 11:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Andy View Post
I ask because I've been looking for a sailboat for a while now and I've been excluding boats without dodgers which limits my search numbers. Do you "need" a dodger in a boat under 30'? And a bimini? (In posting I think I just answered my question because there's obviously a lot of boats w/o dodgers that sail perfectly well!) So is it personal preference and consideration of cost to have one or not? I live in the PNW and will be sailing the north Puget Sound

Absolutely personal preference, and depends on the conditions in which you'll be using it.

Also, you can easily add your own, as many boats with them will require replacement anyway.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 12:09   #6

A dodger really, really increases the cruising comfort, especially in the PNW. As a matter of fact it is a great comfort anywhere one sails; a place to hide in the rail and a wind breaker any time. A bimini keeps the rain off one at the wheel or tiller, but you have to decide how that plays. We sailed a 25' Catalina, Judy added a dodger and loved it. Ordered a the 36' with a dodger from the factory. If one wants to race, take it off and than reinstall it, simple.

That said a dodger is a simple addition which can be made at any time. Not free but simple. Add the price of a dodger into the price of the boat and see how that works.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 12:20   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

I race and sail in the San Francisco Bay area. I love my dodger and would never go without. It's a place to keep water out of the cabin, a place to warm up after a turn at the wheel, a great place to have handholds when transitioning from the cockpit to the deck. But I would not have necessarily chosen it as a criterion for deciding on a boat as others mentioned. The original dodger on my boat was useable, kinda, for the first 8 years. I just had a new one built to my specs. It is now even more indispensable - racing or not.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 12:26   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Andy View Post

The answer is location dependent.

I sailed the PNW for 21y with neither Bimini nor Dodger. . Fine without Bimini. Dodger would have been greatly appreciated on a number of occasions in heavy weather but generally oK without.

Offshore, dodger definitely.
Tropics and near tropics, definitely a Bimini too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 13:07   #9

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Personally. I'm a fan of wide brim hats with chin straps. Occasional blow offs also double as impromptu man overboard drills for hat retrieval. The biggest reasons to keep the dodger are getting out of the weather, keeping the sun and precipitation off the hatch and looks. If you know you are going to be frequently in rain or heavier weather, they are nice.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 13:15   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

No way I'd sail / cruise ever without a dodger especially on a small boat.

To put it in perspective, I paid $2,000 for my boat and when the PO's dodger wore out I paid $1200 for a replacement!!!

I came from a background of 15 years racing 4 different beach cats so I guess now it's more about comfort not speed.

Also when I did get caught in 35 knot winds the dodger frame got broken which (the frame plus dodger) saved me from quite the shower/shock from a breaking wave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	256120   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	256121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	256122  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 13:31   #11

As others have said, it is easy to add after the purchase. Not something to say No to a boat over.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 13:43   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I do not now and never will have a dodger. I've cruised tropics to near-high latitudes, and if I ever wanted that sort of structure, I'd have it built in hard.
While they add some protection from spray and cold, their disadvantages, for me, far outweigh any benefits.
All that to say, dodger or not would not even enter my considerations for boat purchase.
Old 17-04-2022, 14:03   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I do not now and never will have a dodger. I've cruised tropics to near-high latitudes, and if I ever wanted that sort of structure, I'd have it built in hard.
While they add some protection from spray and cold, their disadvantages, for me, far outweigh any benefits.
All that to say, dodger or not would not even enter my considerations for boat purchase.

Why??
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 15:01   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Years ago I sailed (both cruising and racing) in my Yankee 30 without a dodger, both in the SF bay and coastally to SoCal. When we were prepping for our first offshore passage to Hawaii, I designed and added a dodger. Spent a lot of effort and money to make it strong and easily and quickly folded down. After assuring ourselves that it folded and re-erected correctly we happily set out, made our round trip and continued to sail the boat for another year before selling her. In all that time and mileage, we NEVER ONCE folded the dodger down again!

Perhaps there is a message in that history...

Jim
Old 17-04-2022, 15:18   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Boats generally sail better without a dodger.
People generally enjoy sailing better with a dodger.
I wouldn't leave the dock without one.

A Bimini is nice (very nice) in the tropics.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger