Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 15:38   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Is a dodger a necessity?

Alternative dodger.

https://ca.binnacle.com/p8033/Tarred...duct_info.html
Old 17-04-2022, 15:51   #17

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the strong voices for yea and ney on having one and more importantly not letting the absence of one prevent me from looking at a boat. As many have said a dodger and bimini can be added later but I've been pricing them out as 3K and up. Anyway, thanks for your replies.
Capt Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 15:54   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm on my 4th boat in the Caribbean and only had one without a dodger, and had I not sold it I would have gotten one. Even here the dodger keeps the constant tradewinds out of the cockpit and at sea it keeps the wet stuff out.

In addition, while at anchor the boat will point into the wind. With a dodger in place the main hatch or companionway can be kept open at night and ventilate the boat without risking getting water below should it rain.
Old 17-04-2022, 15:59   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

I was taking this video sometimes behind the dodger and sometimes not.

Wind gusts to 40 + as the squall passed over

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 16:02   #20

Dodgers in the rain with strong winds at anchor are also nice to have.....

Old 17-04-2022, 16:05   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Captain Andy:

I would not let the presence or absence of a dodger influence me, in my choice of boat. It is that one can be added later on, for somewhere in the thousand dollar range. The entire design of the boat is the important thing. Generally speaking, lower freeboard boats take more water over the bows than higher freeboard ones, and people with dodgers stay dryer in the rain and "greenies" than the folks without. The pilot house folks are the best protected of all.

Most dodgers are ordered with the front window opening so that you can enjoy the feel of the fresh ocean air on your face when you want it, and then zip it closed at other times. We build a hard dodger for our first "Insatiable" that had a large hatch in the top, for the same reason: ventilation when it is hot. We have never used a Bimini, but some kind of awning that is easy to take town when the breeze gets up. Talk with the folks who sail in your area, or just go looking at boats. If most of the boats have them, you might want to consider adding one at some time. The majority will have chosen what gives the most comfort, including budget constraints.

Ann
Old 17-04-2022, 16:07   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

for me it is a requirement along with a bimini. better to get it with the boat.
Old 18-04-2022, 03:25   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Why??
I find they restrict the view from the helm, especially on rainy nights when you really want to see as much as possible. Since I always rely on a visual watch, it'd be like shooting myself in the foot to have one. On my boat, the geometry of the cabin wouldn't allow for one anyway, since the dinghy stored aft of the mast reaches into the space it would take.
Then like Jim mentioned, he never put his back down, and I know people rarely do: since I mostly build my own stuff, if I wanted a dodger that I was never going to put down, I'd just build a solid fiberglass structure and have a glass window that could be seen out of easier, and not have canvas to maintain.
At the end of the day, dodgers are needed due to poor design and bad practice: boats with skinny sharp bows that throw a lot of water aft, and people who insist on powering into winds and waves--those two things make for a very wet boat and almost do make a dodger an imperative. But if you have a properly deigned vessel, with codfish bows and a mackerel tail, and you don't insist on motorsailing as tight into the wind as possible, the boat stays pretty dry. I can count twice in 12,000 miles that a chunk of water came aft and hit the steersman on my boat.
So, with my boat and my style of sailing, a dodger would simply be an unsightly appendage on an already crowded boat.
Old 18-04-2022, 03:40   #24

Yeah my center window of the dodger usually stays open also on nice days and sometimes at night. The biggest block to visibility for me are the sails.

I actually "missed" seeing a container ship a few years ago at about 10:30 pm before I had AIS because my view was blocked by the jib and other "light pollution" may have camouflaged the ship's lights also as I was coming in from total night darkness to the multiple cities of Hampton Roads.

There were vehicle lights, street lights, buoy and range marker lights, house lights, container ship lights, anchored fishing boat lights, etc

Luckily the Pilot hailed me on VHF wonder what my plans were.

Even after crossing the shipping channel safely I looked back after a mile or so and saw the ghostly silhouette of a second container ship headed out with it's little green bow light on ....

I also use the dodger frame as a hand hold at times.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00733.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	256155  
Old 18-04-2022, 03:49   #25

Boat: Tartan 4100

I've had three sailboats over the last 30 years, the first one, a Cal 27 did not have a dodger/bimini but the 37 and my 41 have them and I would not be without and one of the main reasons is that we also have a full zipper enclosure out of Isinglass and this is a game changer throughout the shoulder season and winter months here in the Mid-Atlantic as this becomes an extension of our living space. Seriously, it adds a full sunroom that warms up tremendously where I can wear a t-shirt when it is 30 degrees outside!
We have sailed in some serious rain storms and stayed dry as a bone. Yes, windage can be an issue but if you are expecting stronger than gale force conditions, I would consider folding the bimini/connector panel and stick with just the dodger, then once the storm passes, re-attach everything.
Skin cancer runs in my family, so staying out of the sun as much as possible and sunscreen are tops in priority for us.
All this being said, a full dodger/bimini/enclosure that we have will cost several thousands of dollars to have a professional do it for you.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 04:56   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I find they restrict the view from the helm, especially on rainy nights when you really want to see as much as possible. Since I always rely on a visual watch, it'd be like shooting myself in the foot to have one.

I've been on some boats where the dodger was noticeably in the way visibility-wise, but others where it wasn't really (and I spent far more time moving my head to see past a big genoa vs the dodger). A lot of it comes down to people wanting a dodger that doesn't look bulky, so they end up with something that's awkward to see past (too big to look over/around, but not big enough to look through it well). If the design is well thought out, it shouldn't be an issue.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 16:34   #27

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm on my 4th boat in the Caribbean and only had one without a dodger, and had I not sold it I would have gotten one. Even here the dodger keeps the constant tradewinds out of the cockpit and at sea it keeps the wet stuff out.

In addition, while at anchor the boat will point into the wind. With a dodger in place the main hatch or companionway can be kept open at night and ventilate the boat without risking getting water below should it rain.

Rain comes from all directions. Never had a dodger be much help at all to keep rain out of the companionway.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 17:45   #28

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I love my dodger Andy and Bimini. I don’t think feet count. I have a fold down swim platform and I’d like to add another loop to extend an awning over it when needed. We can strip the boat and hide everything but the front curved piece. The Bimini is rarely down with guests. I think it creates a more connected atmosphere for folks. The factory canvas has a weird second position for the back wall of the camper back. It can go ahead of the helmS or behind it. The Bimini May be the best place to avoid shadows on your solar panels.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 18:00   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is a dodger a necessity?

Yes..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 19:41   #30

Good sailing in the PNW means fall through spring. In my opinion, a dodger is a must for sailing beyond day sailing more than a couple hours. I would not be able to get my wife on the boat for non-summer trips without one. I’ve highly considered adding a rear enclosure ( more stout than your typical Bimini) to the back for this same reason. In the summer they both give shade which is nice motoring up to the islands in August. I wouldn’t make it a “no sale” if it didn’t have a dodger but assume your going to spend $2k’ish on a decent one and I think that is on the cheap end. Mine is a hard too with zip out sides and front. In the mid 90’s it was $2500 (previous owner purchase and I have the receipt)
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger