Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2024, 20:38   #61
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: I think I’m back to square one…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Do a search here for insurance, it's been discussed quite a bit lately. I can recommend Hagerty Marine because my insurance company dropped me after 9 years and no claims.
Hagerty just got out of the marine insurance business i understand.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 20:44   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Hagerty just got out of the marine insurance business i understand.

dj
Really? I got mine with them last summer, how recently did that happen?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 03:26   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post

Father Time [and Tide] waits for no man.
Reminds me of Albert Einstein's quip:
“The only reason for time, is so that everything doesn't happen, all at once.”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 05:06   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

These days Insurance Companies don't want insure your boat unless it's brand new and never ever leaves the dock. The dock needs to be brand new and located at least 500 miles from any ocean. A full time guard needs to be in close proximity to the boat 24/7.

Besides that, you, as the skipper, will be required to demonstrate 50 years of globe girdling sailing experience and have no prior insurance claims for anything, nothing at all.

You will be allowed to sit on the boat...on Sundays only...and read a book. You will be allowed to go inside the boat...on Sundays...for no more than 5 minutes to check the bilges.

Once a year you will be allowed to bring a certified mechanic with 50 years of proven experience to start the engine...and generator...if so equipped.
An additional insurance rider will have to be purchased for the mechanic.

In the rare event that a storm might threatened, you will be required to purchase 6.78 miles of rope to tie the boat to anything and everything within 100' of the boat.

Smoking and drinking onboard will be strictly forbidden.

Complaining about insurance premiums is cause for the Insurance Company to immediately add 50% to your monthly premiums.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 05:29   #65

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
I'd consider that a serious red flag. Owner knows a lot more than he's telling you.

You can do what you want. I'd walk. There are lots of boats for sale ..

dj
Agreed, any owner that doesn’t want to negotiate can jump in a lake. There’s more buyers than boats.

I was after one specific model and there were 24 of them currently on the market. 1 buyer:24 boats. Thats not a god ratio to be demanding things as a seller. If an owner wasn’t ready to negotiate, I just moved onto the next and has thrown out bids to 10 at once. Had my boat in 2 days while the inflexible owners are still looking to sell theirs.

With all that said, on the boat I ended up getting, I paid exactly what owner wanted, as he was asking what I was offering.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 05:51   #66

Boat: Downeaster 38

Ya it’s crazy how much people are struggling with insurance down south…

On Great Lakes (500 miles from ocean) I’m getting insurance offers every time I solicit.

I’ve received 2 liability quotes for under $300 annual.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 06:59   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Ya it’s crazy how much people are struggling with insurance down south…

On Great Lakes (500 miles from ocean) I’m getting insurance offers every time I solicit.

I’ve received 2 liability quotes for under $300 annual.
We can still get liability here.

It's about $19/month for $500,000 for my sailboat so we just hope for the best during each close hurricane pass.

Video is of Dorian when it got close a few years back. Max winds around 65 knots and a slight tide rise.

Nothing compared to the 130-140 knot winds and 14'-18' surge we had with Hurricane Ivan in 2004 in Pensacola, FL.

Whole docks full of sailboats were destroyed. Floating docks rose above their anchor pilings and went on to destroy boats that were anchored out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84808d16f80f667f5c5cafc7fd2d831b---hurricanes-hurricane-ivan.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	287836  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 09:36   #68
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Really? I got mine with them last summer, how recently did that happen?
I believe it is transitioning right now. My policy with them came up at the end of February and in January I got a notice they will not renew because they are getting out of the marine insurance market. They did renew me under s different company - I'd have to go look up the name, sorry, sailing right now.

I expect you may get a letter before your policy is up that they will not renew.

dj
Old 20-03-2024, 09:38   #69
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
These days Insurance Companies don't want insure your boat unless it's brand new and never ever leaves the dock. The dock needs to be brand new and located at least 500 miles from any ocean. A full time guard needs to be in close proximity to the boat 24/7.

Besides that, you, as the skipper, will be required to demonstrate 50 years of globe girdling sailing experience and have no prior insurance claims for anything, nothing at all.

You will be allowed to sit on the boat...on Sundays only...and read a book. You will be allowed to go inside the boat...on Sundays...for no more than 5 minutes to check the bilges.

Once a year you will be allowed to bring a certified mechanic with 50 years of proven experience to start the engine...and generator...if so equipped.
An additional insurance rider will have to be purchased for the mechanic.

In the rare event that a storm might threatened, you will be required to purchase 6.78 miles of rope to tie the boat to anything and everything within 100' of the boat.

Smoking and drinking onboard will be strictly forbidden.

Complaining about insurance premiums is cause for the Insurance Company to immediately add 50% to your monthly premiums.
Hyperbole at its best....

dj
Old 20-03-2024, 11:46   #70

Boat: Downeaster 38

Welp… after swallowing all the big stuff and deciding to go ahead I asked the seller to put jam nut on prop, replace anode he painted, and put the cotter pins and rings on mast through bolts while it’s down as those items would require me to haul the boat and drop the mast after closing.

He tapped the no further concessions clause lol

So I got mad and rejected the boat on the “material” defects noted in the survey. Sucks, but I’m not paying some Detroit yard $5k in fees to replace $200 worth of parts.

I will never agree to a “take it or leave it” clause ever again…
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 22:21   #71

Boat: Nor'West 33

Sounds like the guy isn't in any hurry to sell the boat after all. Remember you have the most important element of all in your favor right now: time.

Out of curiosity, were you way under his asking price?

Hopefully he has a year of storage fees ahead to help him learn that honey attracts better than vinegar.
Old 20-03-2024, 22:49   #72

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thomas1985 its fairly common for me to survey two or three boats for a client. It sounds like you have a met a difficult seller. Often you will find the wife has said sell the boat and they are, it's just that the buyer is not willing to meet their conditions, so the boat doesn't get sold. The owner then can keep his dreams or sailing fantasies alive.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 03:31   #73

Quote:
Welp… after swallowing all the big stuff and deciding to go ahead I asked the seller to put jam nut on prop, replace anode he painted, and put the cotter pins and rings on mast through bolts while it’s down as those items would require me to haul the boat and drop the mast after closing.

So I got mad and rejected the boat on the “material” defects noted in the survey. Sucks, but I’m not paying some Detroit yard $5k in fees to replace $200 worth of parts.

Take a breath. Been a while since I read the faults but it didn't seem like there was too much wrong...for a boat you have liked since you were 6!
No seller likes to think they're getting reamed or hassled by a potential buyer.
You want him to think you are an ok guy that will enthusiastically look after his boat and perhaps have some great times in her just like he did, and maybe you are the guy that will be able to finish those little jobs he has run out of energy to do and go off and take her places he never got around to lately.
You might be better off presenting the attitude like..."I really like your boat and would love to be able to buy her but I'm not rich; there's a few things I'm worried about; what can we do while she's up in the yard? " etc etc

I guess you will be feeling either regret or relief at this point having had time to think on it. If relief then you can move on, just don't let an attitude wreck an opportunity, and try not to shoot yourself in the foot!
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 04:57   #74

Boat: Hanse 400

That old adage that reckons you'll need to spend about one third of the purchase price again after you've bought the boat has some grounding in reality. This seems to apply equally to both new and used ones! Work on that basis and you're unlikely to regret buying it.
Ratbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 05:28   #75

Quote:

These are pretty minor items. Something in your interactions caused the seller to be clear he would not be nickle/dimed post-survey and yet that's what you did. Issue may not be a no-concessions clause, but perhaps you are not cut out for boat ownership?
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote