Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2024, 21:37   #1

Boat: Downeaster 38
I think I’m back to square one…

Had my survey. Guys were very through.

Structure, spars, rigging, chain plates, decks. Rock solid.

But…….

There are going go be a ton of things noted in this report. Some of which make me feel like the current owner is just negligent. Maybe I need to reject the boat on survey…

Notably. ALL of the Seacocks were frozen open. Lifelines in really bad shape, broken stanchions. (couldn’t see well with way shrink wrap was on at viewing).

I’m really nervous now… if you haven’t touched a seacock in years what else are you comfortable doing? (Or not doing)
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 00:46   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: I think I’m back to square one…

Assume that everything that needed periodic maintenance, or required some effort or contortion, has not been done.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 01:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post

But…….

There are going go be a ton of things noted in this report. Some of which make me feel like the current owner is just negligent. Maybe I need to reject the boat on survey…

Notably. ALL of the Seacocks were frozen open. Lifelines in really bad shape, broken stanchions. (couldn’t see well with way shrink wrap was on at viewing).

I’m really nervous now… if you haven’t touched a seacock in years what else are you comfortable doing? (Or not doing)
Lifelines in really bad shape what is condition underwear,do you also receive women underwear,sheet.
when you buy new boat from factory liflines dont exist,sheet,towel also,chain,anchor also. and on all new boat you must soon exchange Seacocks. Seacocks i open and close only from black tanks.
i dont need looks seacoks if buying 1-5 year old boat i know i must exschange all seecoks on first dry docks. older boat from 5 year, i slowly with huge caution sail for first dry marina on exchange all underwater seacocks to trudesign or if not space bras cr (5-7 year last)or bronze to 10 year.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 01:06   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thomas 1985 I wouldn't reject the boat straight away, see if he is negotiable on price. All new seacocks etc is a nice thing to have. Maintenance is very subjective to a lot of owners and often not done until things break.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 03:36   #5

If he waits until a hose ruptures to replace a seacock the boat will likely be at bottom of lake. “I don’t fix it until it sinks” is exactly the kind of mentality that has me so spooked. Every one of them is broken (not functional - seized).

He’s obviously been leaving the boat in the water, unattended, with all seacocks open. For years (freshwater boat so I bet these didn’t freeze up in a month) Not bothered knowing the only thing preventing sinking is a bunch of 40 year old rubber hoses and clamps…

Going out with no way to stop water intrusion should something break loose at sea. Not one wooden plug present…

If I got home and remembered I forgot to shut one I wouldn’t be able go sleep!
Old 18-03-2024, 04:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Thomas 1985 I wouldn't reject the boat straight away, see if he is negotiable on price. All new seacocks etc is a nice thing to have. Maintenance is very subjective to a lot of owners and often not done until things break.
Cheers
I went in pretty hard and owner demanded a “take it or leave it after survey” clause in contract. Cracked me up as there would have been zero obligation for him to negotiate further anyway…

I might take him up on the “leave it” option.
Old 18-03-2024, 04:41   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have never purchased a used sailboat that didn't have frozen seacocks, and even on my own boats they are often hard or difficult to move after sitting over the winter.
Old 18-03-2024, 04:53   #8

I still love the boat being on it while the surveyors did their thing…

Maybe I should demand they are functional at sea trial and see what happens? I need to see the engine operate in water and make sure it floats anyway.

I’m 600 nm from home. It’s a problem for me if the boat isn’t seaworthy enough to make it back.
Old 18-03-2024, 05:07   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I’m 600 nm from home. It’s a problem for me if the boat isn’t seaworthy enough to make it back.
Before you move the boat far figure out where all the seacocks and/or through-hulls are located and take a look at them yourself. I often spot hoses in bad shape, broken hose clamps or no double clamps, and other problems. Make a note of where they all are so that you can find them quick in an emergency. Also, be certain you know how the basic electrical system works and make sure the main battery switches do what you imagine they do. I find frequently on older boats there is a lot of funky wiring that is not figured out by the surveyor because it would take hours of his time. Sometimes you find odd things like battery position 1 does something other than connect battery bank one, and then you also have to determine which is really bank 1. Check to make sure the automatic bilge pumps work! Stuff like that.
Old 18-03-2024, 05:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Before you move the boat far figure out where all the seacocks and/or through-hulls are located and take a look at them yourself. I often spot hoses in bad shape, broken hose clamps or no double clamps, and other problems. Make a note of where they all are so that you can find them quick in an emergency. Also, be certain you know how the basic electrical system works and make sure the main battery switches do what you imagine they do. I find frequently on older boats there is a lot of funky wiring that is not figured out by the surveyor because it would take hours of his time. Sometimes you find odd things like battery position 1 does something other than connect battery bank one, and then you also have to determine which is really bank 1. Check to make sure the automatic bilge pumps work! Stuff like that.
Agreed and each WILL have a wood plug hanging by it for emergencies
Old 18-03-2024, 06:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

But…….

What kind of "seacocks" are they ?
Old 18-03-2024, 07:21   #12
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
I went in pretty hard and owner demanded a “take it or leave it after survey” clause in contract. Cracked me up as there would have been zero obligation for him to negotiate further anyway…

I might take him up on the “leave it” option.
I'd consider that a serious red flag. Owner knows a lot more than he's telling you.

You can do what you want. I'd walk. There are lots of boats for sale ..

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 09:26   #13

Brass seacocks. It’s a classic offshore boat. Surveyor mentioned they may be serviceable.

Ya the owner is giving me really bad vibes at this point…
Old 18-03-2024, 09:36   #14

I wouldn't consider frozen seacocks an issue. It simply means he doesn't cycle them closed and open again. They should be open at time of haul. They need to be open to run. They are inexpensive and easy to fix.

Stanchions can be rebedded and reinstalled.

Are there any REAL issues on the list? I'd be more wary of water intrusion in stringers and bulkheads.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 09:36   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A good question would be "How many used boats of that age have frozen seacocks?"

The possibility exists that you reject this boat and the next one is worse.

From a financial challenge point of view you have some sunk cost here. And your next possible purchase may have the same or more problems.

When you buy a boat you will have some cost to bring it back to your standard.

So maybe you just figure this into the total cost of the boat and see if that works for you.

All in all a very personal decision based on the circumstances of the boat.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote