Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2024, 13:06   #31
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: I think I’m back to square one…

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Well, once you buy it.....you are stuck with the problems. Remember, that in time, you'll probably want to sell the boat again. It will be that much older and worn by then.

But, I get it, many, if not most people " fall in love" with a particular boat for any number of reasons. Boats can do that to otherwise sane people.

You are, at the moment, some distance from the boat, hmmmm....which adds to the complication of getting things done or fixed.

Having walked this path, I have walked away from a boat, despite the cost of a survey and a haulout. Never an easy task for most people as you feel like you've spent a lot of time and money for nothing.
But just put it down to a "learning experience" and move on.

There are so many boats for sale currently on the market, that something is likely to be in better shape than the one you are looking at right now.

Lack of maintenance by the previous owner is often a clue as to most everything on the boat that will require attention down the line.
This would be red flag for me personally and give me pause to re-consider why I'm looking at a particular boat.

You are not on a ledge. This is not a life nor death situation for you. Take a deep breath and look at things subjectively.

A last word of caution, also based on experience. Fixing or trying to fix a problem, almost always leads to the discovery of other problems that need to be addressed before you can even start to fix the problem you started with.
I think this is excellent advice. None of us here have seen the boat, seen the survey, know what you are paying for it, a whole list of things we don't know.

What I do know, is I have fallen in love with boats, bought them and realized I was looking through rose colored glasses while in love with the boat.

None of us can really give you advice as to what to do. Having looked at this boat through the original post you put up (I'm assuming it's the Choy Lee) I personally would not buy that boat. But I'm also biased against those particular boats for a host of reasons listed back in that original thread.

I now hear you say you have a bad gut feeling about the current owner, have some reservations based on what you've seen so far. Your descriptions tell me, don't buy the boat - But I don't know.... I do know whenever I haven't followed my gut feelings - it's bitten me in the a$$...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 14:33   #32

Boat: Alerion Express 28

With all the maintenance problems you mentioned AND the bad attitude of the seller, I would put on my walking shoes. There are a lot more sellers than buyers.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 15:09   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Playing devil's advocate here, a bit:

If I were the seller, and I knew that the through hulls were good, I'd be pissed at your attitude. If the seller seems annoyed to you, I'd mark it down to concern about the boat. Given the weld on the bow pulpit, and the broken stanchions, I'd say something collided with the boat. You might want to ask more about that: what caused it? when did it happen? why is the boat for sale now? Maybe get the broker to get the seller to send you an e-mail with the info? But be aware, the surveyor has assured you the boat is structurally sound, which sort of means he looked inside to see if there was internal damage from whatever happened. Maybe, you could ask the surveyor about that?

Stanchions are not difficult to replace. You do want to keep the caulking from getting all over the interior. Lifelines are easy to rig. Those are minor.

Ultimately you have to decide, and your desires over the time of being on CF have shifted. They could shift again. In his early years, Jim changed boats every 3 years. But by the time he went to buy our first Insatiable, he had learned enough to choose well: we lived aboard and cruised her for 18 yrs. We bought this boat in 2003, and have lived aboard her since then.

Mate, you've gotta start somewhere, why not with a boat that makes your heart go pitty-pat?

Ann

PS. With stanchions that are just bent, we've been able to straighten them enough to live with them, without replacing them.
Old 18-03-2024, 15:45   #34

Boat: Downeaster 38

Ann

This is actually the kind of boat I always wanted. Since I was about 6 yo. I had just convinced myself for several months a Catalina 36 was going to be so much more practical. In ways maybe it is?

The realization set in a 1996 Catalina ain’t new anymore either…

I am printing full report now. It’s actually not as awful as I maybe thought first blush this morning at work. Surveyor thinks I’m in a tad higher than he would be.

I’m noticing they assessed the boat as “average” condition. So they must not think it’s a total disaster at least
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 15:50   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

I have no idea what you are paying for this old boat, but most times you can get one for $2,000 -$15,000 and then do a few repairs and it's no big deal.

But if you are paying a lot for the boat then doing a lot of repairs that is a different story.

As far as lifelines, I got rid of the old cable line about 8 years ago and replaced with polyester line. I may have some 3/16 rigging cable left from my re-rigging project so I may replace the polyester line with that.

I used the old rigging for 13 years and am replacing it a bit at a time.

On top of all that the boat will be slow, it won't point well, but if you like the look well you won't be the first that went after good looks rather than considering other things.

With boats like this available these days or one anywhere close it would be hard to spend too much on an old boat unless you just want the salty look etc.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 17:25   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Brass? Are you sure? I suspect they are bronze but I could be wrong. My old bronze seacocks were pretty stiff when I got my boat and they are working fine now. No need to replace them or worry about them in my case. I too wouldn’t necessarily be turned off by thru-hulls and seacocks, and stanchions too. What about engine, sails and rigging? What year is it? It may have some osmotic blistering but if it’s in the water you’ll likely be unable to tell unless you want to have a diver check it. The thing is the blisters become more pronounced once the boat comes out of the water though. Still blisters may not be a deal breaker. My buddy with a CL had a bunch but we worked on them, filled them and sealed them. The hull is very thick.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 17:49   #37

Bronze. Had a brain fart earlier… I think I’m going to go for it. This stuff isn’t that bad.

Stanchions are really biggest thing. Then the seacocks.

Most other red marks are cotter pins and stuff.
Old 18-03-2024, 17:58   #38

Thomm, I’m pretty sure you are the only person I ever met who bought a $2k sailing yacht and is happy about it.

I can’t find a boat that floats around here for $10k
Old 18-03-2024, 18:09   #39

Don, they did a VERY through sounding of hull and rudder. Surveyor was very happy with that part and it sounded really “bright” when he was tapping. Not dull at all. Theres just zero flex on any walking surface. It feels like walking around on concrete.

The thing looks brand new at chainplates etc. It’s crazy how much stronger built it is than new production boats.
Old 18-03-2024, 19:31   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Don, they did a VERY through sounding of hull and rudder. Surveyor was very happy with that part and it sounded really “bright” when he was tapping. Not dull at all. Theres just zero flex on any walking surface. It feels like walking around on concrete.

The thing looks brand new at chainplates etc. It’s crazy how much stronger built it is than new production boats.
Ah, yes, that is reassuring I'm sure! And all the big stuff is good then?

Let's see photos! Time to crack open the champagne yet?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 04:44   #41

Repowered with a Perkins (347 hours) which is big for me as I’m a mediocre diesel mechanic at best. That’s where I have to start hiring work done…

It’s really life lines and seacocks. Well… and a whole lotta prep and varnish

Maybe not time to pop the champagne, but you can start shaking the bottle.
Old 19-03-2024, 04:53   #42

Some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6734.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	287761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6736.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	287762  

Name:	IMG_6735.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	287763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6737.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	287764  

Name:	IMG_6738.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	287765  
Old 19-03-2024, 06:24   #43

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

This boat reminds me of the Monthy Python dead parrott sketch: the parrott is dead but has pretty plumage.

Looking through the 66 listing pictures I see lot of fluff and little substance.

Flower vase on the bulkhead, really?

THe owner might be proud but has not spend a penny, just elbow grase and wine glasses.

Based on what the Architect had said about the manufacturer, that the so-called Lloyds standard is not certified by Lloyds, the quality of the original chinesium fittings and hardware, I would walk away.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 06:53   #44

Somewhat agreed.

I’m not buying for the wine glasses and vase. Going in trash and new name going on transom.

Supposedly buildout varried in these boats. This one the Chinese seem to have done pretty well with. Joinery is solid. It’s crazy to me how well the structure has weathered time. Structurally the boat looks 5 years old.

Definitely leaps and bounds ahead of what Americans pumped out in 80s, 90s and 00s. Build quality is as nice as I’ve been in.

For the Cheoy Leaky jokes this is the driest cabin we’ve seen.
Old 19-03-2024, 09:05   #45

Whoa, whoa, Thomas :-)

You know the expression "steady as she goes" :-)

Slow down, get a grip! Start by making a list of the seacocks. How many are there? Six maybe? At ahunnertbuxapiece? No biggie. Just change 'em at the haulout!

Once the old tub won't sink unexpectedly, you'll have plenty of time to fix everything else that wants fixing!

The present owner won't be you ship mate, so you can ignore the "vibes" he is giving you. Negotiate the price down as far as you can, since you like the "basics" of the boat. Once she is yours, take the time, and have the patience, to learn boat maintenance inside out while you get in some sailing. Boats don't have to be perfect - they never are :-)!

What they DO have to be is technically ADEQUATE, and emotionally pleasing!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote