Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2022, 11:28   #28

Re: First keel sailboat for single hand learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Someone mentioned the ASA classes.

I didn't learn that way being from a rural area when I started boating at age 16 so it wasn't available. Plus I had power boats at first.

But if you have the cash and enjoy learning in a group setting of 3-4 including instructor they appear to do a good job here.

I see them on their Capri 22's taking out 2-3 people.

I also see them training people to back sailboats of 40' all the way down the fairway into the Sail Time Slips.

Sail Time is the school they have here. I knew one of the Instructors and he seemed to just enjoy talking sailing with folks.

He kept his Bristol 31.1 near my boat also.

https://sailtime.com/virginia/
I feel as if the classes work after buying the eventual boat, so that the knowledge could be put into action right away. Also, some basic classes are valuable if they give privileges at sailing clubs, like solo sailing and such. And, a sailing club is a sound idea if you live in an expensive town like NYC, otherwise, waste of money.
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, keel, learning, sail, sailboat, single