Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 08:48   #1

Boat: Valiant 42RS
Winter Cruising Question for Island Packet Owners

Question for all of you Island Packet owners, how are they in cold weather? Lets assume that the boat has a diesel forced air system and has decent ventilation. I'm interested in air temps around 10F to the 20s. Think Maine in the late fall or inside BC in the dead of winter.

I have do have experience doing this on other FG boats, but given the heavier construction, cored deck, ect I was wondering what other folks may have experienced.
kevin_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 02:23   #2

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER
Re: Winter Cruising Question for Island Packet Owners

We keep our Island Packet SP Cruiser in the UK. We use her to stay on for a week at a time alongside in cold weather on our berth in Littlehampton. We have Webasto blown air heating and have shorepower. When sleeping and living aboard in winter we run a compressor dehumidifier - a very quiet one - all night. No condensation in the morning on the windows. If it is below 4 degrees C we have a 1KW oil radiator in our cabin, but set to about half power. Cooking/boiling kettle produces steam hence condensation in cool tempretures.

We stay comfortable enough but some better and quieter form of heating would, IMHO, be better. A diesel fired Dickenson or Wallas type would be my choice.

Without shore power we would not stay aboard in cold weather. Too old and wise to be uncomfortable by choice.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, island packet, winter