Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 01:17   #1

My single line reefing forces my lugs out of the sail track

I followed the advice on Stingy Sailor and installed single line reefing on my trailer sailor. It works pretty well. I have one issue though. When I tighten the reef line, it pulls the luff cringle downwards as it should, but compresses all the lugs against the sail track stop, which, under the pressure, pops out. And I'm left with lugs everywhere and need to make a trip to the mast to sort it out.

My mast isn't one that has a wider gap in a continuous sail track where you insert the sail lugs. The sail track starts at the point where you insert the lugs. So, installing a mastgate is not an option. See the pictures of this attached.

I really need the lugs out of the way to set a good tight new foot of the sail. But this doesn't seem compatible with my reefing setup.

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	255836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	255837  

keylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: My single line reefing forces my lugs out of the sail track

First, perhaps too much force on the reefing lines so perhaps back off little? You can also reduce the downward force by installing a small, light block on the forward reefing point, rather than passing the reef line through the grommet, thus reducing friction. That will allow you to secure the tack down before the clew reef is made.

Second, you could improve the slug stop by re-designing. Could you drill and tap a bolt into the mast at the bottom of that track? A 1/4 inch bolt into the mast at the bottom of your track would stop your slugs. Buy a bolt with a knurled hand-tighten screw, rather than a screw or hex head to make it easy to use. You do not need much force to tighten as the force will be across the bolt.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:06   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Having unequal pull on the luff and clew is typically the problem w/a single line reefing system.

As John mentioned, the mast track should be somehow modified to retain the slugs after your reef down. Possibly a removable plate added to keep the slugs in spot.

I like the idea of a block on the luff to add some height to the new tack, rather than pulling it down too tight to the boom. This should help reduce down pressure and keep the slugs in the slot above the retaining pin

Besides putting the block on the luff/reef tack, think about reducing the friction with the clew/grommet as well with a reefing block. I've attached a pic of an Antal reefing block of an example of how they look.

Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

@keylime Could you show an image of the sail track stop? It looks open.

One short-term option is to mark the reefing line at the point where the lugs are "almost" out of the track. This should solve the popping out problem. But could result in a "less than nice" foot in the reefed main.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 15:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
First, perhaps too much force on the reefing lines so perhaps back off little? You can also reduce the downward force by installing a small, light block on the forward reefing point, rather than passing the reef line through the grommet, thus reducing friction. That will allow you to secure the tack down before the clew reef is made.

Second, you could improve the slug stop by re-designing. Could you drill and tap a bolt into the mast at the bottom of that track? A 1/4 inch bolt into the mast at the bottom of your track would stop your slugs. Buy a bolt with a knurled hand-tighten screw, rather than a screw or hex head to make it easy to use. You do not need much force to tighten as the force will be across the bolt.

The idea of replacing the sail stop with a better design could work. Still won’t get the lugs out of the way, but at least will mean I don’t lose them and have to rethread.

Regarding installing a small block, the single line system currently goes through the sail, so it would mean changing the side that the line runs back to the cockpit- a few blocks to move but not impossible.

Thanks for suggestions
Old 12-04-2022, 15:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Having unequal pull on the luff and clew is typically the problem w/a single line reefing system.

As John mentioned, the mast track should be somehow modified to retain the slugs after your reef down. Possibly a removable plate added to keep the slugs in spot.

I like the idea of a block on the luff to add some height to the new tack, rather than pulling it down too tight to the boom. This should help reduce down pressure and keep the slugs in the slot above the retaining pin

Besides putting the block on the luff/reef tack, think about reducing the friction with the clew/grommet as well with a reefing block. I've attached a pic of an Antal reefing block of an example of how they look.

See my reply above too- this could work but the downside I can see is that the foot of the sail is not very tight and low. Still, a possible solution, thanks.
Old 12-04-2022, 15:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
@keylime Could you show an image of the sail track stop? It looks open.

One short-term option is to mark the reefing line at the point where the lugs are "almost" out of the track. This should solve the popping out problem. But could result in a "less than nice" foot in the reefed main.

Yea marking the line is not a bad idea. the sail track stop can be seen here dangling off to the rightClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	255890
Old 12-04-2022, 15:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime View Post
...Regarding installing a small block, the single line system currently goes through the sail, so it would mean changing the side that the line runs back to the cockpit- a few blocks to move but not impossible...
By moving the line to one side with a block it is possible to pull the grommet lower than the stacked slides by the amount of luff between the grommet and the slide below the grommet (hope that's a clear description - the luff area below the grommet can go up toward the top of the stack of slides). This may solve some of your original problem. On the flip side, the block will be dangling a bit from the grommet, so you will be two-blocked before the grommet gets all the way to the boom.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 18:05   #9

Am I missing something, or would the problem not go away if you simply raised the head of the reefed sail an inch or two? ie. When you ease the main halyard to reef, don't let it out quite so far. That will let you tension the tack without pushing on the sail slugs.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 03:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
By moving the line to one side with a block it is possible to pull the grommet lower than the stacked slides by the amount of luff between the grommet and the slide below the grommet (hope that's a clear description - the luff area below the grommet can go up toward the top of the stack of slides). This may solve some of your original problem. On the flip side, the block will be dangling a bit from the grommet, so you will be two-blocked before the grommet gets all the way to the boom.
Reading twice, I actually understand what you mean. Well, everything apart from 'two-blocked', but I get the gist. Something to think about. Thanks
Old 13-04-2022, 03:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Am I missing something, or would the problem not go away if you simply raised the head of the reefed sail an inch or two? ie. When you ease the main halyard to reef, don't let it out quite so far. That will let you tension the tack without pushing on the sail slugs.
Yea, that's another solution. Would mean setting the halyard before tightening the reef. Might be doable. I think I'm looking for a solution that gives me a good tight new foot in the reefed sail, but I think I might have to give this up. Your solution is worth a try. Thanks.

Tags
sail, single