Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 21:09   #856

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
That is one beautiful Vanguard. I think it’s worth 22k compared to other newer boats of that price, but it will sell for much less I bet.
I may be out of my mind, but I've sent the seller a note. If he/she calls me back, I'll make an offer. Thanks for the advice.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 21:28   #857

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
I may be out of my mind, but I've sent the seller a note. If he/she calls me back, I'll make an offer. Thanks for the advice.
The ol' boats are solid, but still get a survey at that price, I say, just to be sure there's no major secrets. Personally I would not consider a soft spot in the deck a deal breaker, they have a lot of glass. Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 00:47   #858
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Many will go nuts reading this, but my research leads me to conclude that blisters are strictly a cosmetic issue. I have nor found a single case of structural damage from blisters. That said, blisters above the water line sound more like a bad paint job or bad gelcoat the latter being a much more serious problem.
Blisters are 99.9% a cosmetic issue. The .1% that are much worse are Valiants.
When the production of the fire retardant used was stopped Uniflite (the builder) switched to another fire retardant. It resulted in blisters throughout the laminate, both below and above the waterline. This was especially prevalent in warmer waters but I have seen a Valiant 40 in Victoria B.C. with this issue so it can certainly happen in colder water as well. This led to a class action suit that caused the bankruptcy of Uniflite.

Do more research.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 01:48   #859

I kind of like this Roberts

What's the verdict fella's

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roberts-....c100009.m1982
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 04:45   #860

Valiant 40 Pilot House

I keep going back to that ad and reading through it.
Only about 200 miles from me.

That one, as far as style (pilot house), would fit my plans very well.
Still unsure if i want go with a 40+. Max i was wanting before was 37.
Solo and slip cost and such.

Suppose to be cold all this week, so can't get down there to have a look, at least to the outside of the hull for blistering.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 05:42   #861

Boat: Valiant 40

V40 is a great single handing boat. Renowned for it even. And it’s going to cost you the same to slip a 37 as a 40 in most places as the charge is by slip size not per foot.

You could buy that boat, part it out, and make a tidy sum. It’s loaded.
Old 19-11-2017, 06:36   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
V40 is a great single handing boat. Renowned for it even. And it’s going to cost you the same to slip a 37 as a 40 in most places as the charge is by slip size not per foot.

You could buy that boat, part it out, and make a tidy sum. It’s loaded.
Really would not want to part it out.
Based on a previous post, blisters do not really bother me.

Had a Stamas with blisters.

Thinking that pilot house would come in handy if could not leave Baltic area soon enough.

Trying to get ready now to head down for a look see.
Don't know if I can get ready within an hour so, anything later and round trip timing does not work out.

If i do make it, will post up what i find about its condition.
Old 19-11-2017, 07:40   #864

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
For me this appears to be exactly the kind of boat people should be looking for. A boat with good bones that's been well maintained & upgraded. Instead of spending a bunch of time & money on a fixer upper & then eating the depreciation yourself you can get a boat like this where the seller has spent the time & money & is eating the depreciation. Of course the seller may not be as flexible with a boat like this where he is already losing money but paying more for a boat in good condition is a wise decision.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 07:54   #865

Good luck Drew 13440!
dano098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:07   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
For me this appears to be exactly the kind of boat people should be looking for. A boat with good bones that's been well maintained & upgraded. Instead of spending a bunch of time & money on a fixer upper & then eating the depreciation yourself you can get a boat like this where the seller has spent the time & money & is eating the depreciation. Of course the seller may not be as flexible with a boat like this where he is already losing money but paying more for a boat in good condition is a wise decision.
Then based on that, what do you think of Valiant 40 Pilot House up there.
That last listing of Boats Under shows some other decent ones.

I originally was not even wanting PH one, but got thinking about where i have to go on the first crossing and not knowing how long i have to be there before heading south for the winter.

That PH sure does give me room to continue working online.
Don't like laptops for work.
Old 19-11-2017, 09:23   #867

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
Trying to get ready now to head down for a look see.
Don't know if I can get ready within an hour so, anything later and round trip timing does not work out.

If i do make it, will post up what i find about its condition.
Took a closer look at the pictures and I would be prepared to find a lot of deferred maintenance. The stainless looks rough throughout, and there are a few odds and ends here and there that lead me to believe the boat my have an older owner and may have sat. Pictures always make a boat look better than it is to begin with.

The rod rigging is almost certainly original and way overdue for replacement. That's around @ $7k, maybe a bit cheaper if you go with wire but you'll need all new fittings.

I would take a very close look at the chainplates where they enter the cabin and are fastened to the bulkheads. Check the mast step. If it's dirty, poke at it with a screw driver to see if it's intact. The helm pedestal is probably Yacht Specialities. If it has substantial corrosion you'd need to replace as parts are impossible to find.

Take a good look at the fuel tank and access to get it out. In the non-PH V40 you have to either take the engine out or cut through the cockpit to remove. At 35 years it's probably EOL as it's stainless.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:41   #868

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
Then based on that, what do you think of Valiant 40 Pilot House up there.
That last listing of Boats Under shows some other decent ones.

I originally was not even wanting PH one, but got thinking about where i have to go on the first crossing and not knowing how long i have to be there before heading south for the winter.

That PH sure does give me room to continue working online.
Don't like laptops for work.
This is a blue water cruiser at a really low price. Plus, I'm a big fan of pilothouses. You don't have to be up north to appreciate being able to get out of the weather. I'm not a fan of rod rigging because it's hard to tell it's condition but the real issue is the blisters. I've done 3 major (below the waterline) blister repairs myself & they are a lot of work. Some might consider them to be cosmetic but I would repair them above & below the waterline anyway. They only require basic skills so anyone handy can do them but if you're paying someone else to do them it'll be expensive. Anyway, it does look like the seller is taking the financial hit on the blisters so you should not have a big loss when it comes time to sell as long as you don't include the cost of repair. If you're serious about this boat I strongly recommend a survey. As Suijin has pointed out, there could be many other problems that could drive the costs of this boat way up & with a big blister problem it may be difficult to recoup a lot of added expenses. An engine survey would be a good idea too.

I wonder if anyone has tried treating the topsides on a boat with this problem like it's a wooden boat which gets repainted regularly with a single part paint?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:57   #869

The owner said he had the entire top blisteres repaired and then painted with Awlgrip. He said this did not work and new blisters rapidly appeared. he then said it was a mistake to do that and in his opinion that the Awlgrip "sealed it up "and made it far worse.
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:23   #870

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Valiant was always one of my dream boats... a PH, I'd just sand it, paint it and sail it and not wear my glasses anymore.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price