Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 16:50   #706

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

This Irwin 34 is on ebay currently sitting under $4,000 usd. Its looks absolutely stunning...davits, electronics, everything looks brand new! 80 gals of water and 30 gals of fuel...not bad. Its only one great lake away from me, and its in Canada, so very realistic for me to buy. Please post your comments...I'm thinking I have to bid on this...seems too good to be true. I would sail around here for a year, then head south to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

sail boat

Here is the text of the auction listing:
-----------------------------------------

34.5 IRWIN 34 CITATION excellent condition rebuilt motor and rebuilt bulkheads bills totaling more than $7500 all professionally done 2 years ago
she is ready to go anywhere!

I bought this boat 2 years ago off a man with failing health. He loved this boat and had everything restored to new condition 2 years ago and never got a chance to use it. The Yamar 20HP diesel engine was completely rebuilt and runs perfect. It cost me $40 in fuel last year and I used this boat a lot. Everything works in it boat perfectly. Ice cold 12V/120V fridge, 32" 12volt TV which is super expensive to buy on its own and aloes you to watch TV while your sailing or night cruising, all the lights have been converted to LED which makes the batteries last much longer, She has 2 new 800A batteries bought last year and runs forever on her batteries, She has a Ratheon Radar system, Chart plotter, and depth gauge. Her sail inventory consist of a nice main with many more years left, Asymmetrical Spinnaker, 3 jib sails, 170, 150, 120, all the sails are in great condition but I did rip the 170 last year and will need to be fixed, huge anchor with chain and at lest 200' of line, The doger is in great shape and makes sailing so much nicer, The interior is in great condition but some of the teak trim is coming of at places and will need to be glued back on. The windows are in great condition and seal tight with nice screens, there are also screens for all the hatches. She has her own cradle for storage on land and 10 foot blue Achilles dinghy with a 15hp Evinrude to hang of the back of the sail boat using the davits. I will be more than happy to sail this boat one more time anywhere in the great lakes region and deliver her to you for $500. If you have any questions call or text me 5199772857
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	147854   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500 (1).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	147855  

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	147856   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	147857  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 18:55   #707

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This Irwin 34 is on ebay currently sitting under $4,000 usd. Its looks absolutely stunning...davits, electronics, everything looks brand new! 80 gals of water and 30 gals of fuel...not bad. Its only one great lake away from me, and its in Canada, so very realistic for me to buy. Please post your comments...I'm thinking I have to bid on this...seems too good to be true. I would sail around here for a year, then head south to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

sail boat

Here is the text of the auction listing:
-----------------------------------------

34.5 IRWIN 34 CITATION excellent condition rebuilt motor and rebuilt bulkheads bills totaling more than $7500 all professionally done 2 years ago
she is ready to go anywhere!

I bought this boat 2 years ago off a man with failing health. He loved this boat and had everything restored to new condition 2 years ago and never got a chance to use it. The Yamar 20HP diesel engine was completely rebuilt and runs perfect. It cost me $40 in fuel last year and I used this boat a lot. Everything works in it boat perfectly. Ice cold 12V/120V fridge, 32" 12volt TV which is super expensive to buy on its own and aloes you to watch TV while your sailing or night cruising, all the lights have been converted to LED which makes the batteries last much longer, She has 2 new 800A batteries bought last year and runs forever on her batteries, She has a Ratheon Radar system, Chart plotter, and depth gauge. Her sail inventory consist of a nice main with many more years left, Asymmetrical Spinnaker, 3 jib sails, 170, 150, 120, all the sails are in great condition but I did rip the 170 last year and will need to be fixed, huge anchor with chain and at lest 200' of line, The doger is in great shape and makes sailing so much nicer, The interior is in great condition but some of the teak trim is coming of at places and will need to be glued back on. The windows are in great condition and seal tight with nice screens, there are also screens for all the hatches. She has her own cradle for storage on land and 10 foot blue Achilles dinghy with a 15hp Evinrude to hang of the back of the sail boat using the davits. I will be more than happy to sail this boat one more time anywhere in the great lakes region and deliver her to you for $500. If you have any questions call or text me 5199772857
If the pictures and description are accurate, and there's not some disasterous blisters, deck delamination, etc - that looks like an amazing deal for someone.

If I had a couple variables slightly different, I'd be bidding...
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 19:24   #708

Boat: Laguna 30

$20,000.
Charleston SC Craigslist, what looks, to my admittedly inexperienced eyes, to be a great deal on a Moody 36. Needs a little work and some reassembly, but if I had some time and money...
Old 15-05-2017, 20:38   #709
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster

Steady's Notes

1. This is a design I have posted before, look back a few pages to find a more complete profile of this model of boat with more notes and to compare.

2. This is the LOWEST priced Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster I have ever seen.

3. Ad says the engine has just 200 hours. It also says the boat was "refit" in 2014-2015, and that it needs some work.

4. Ad says this boat will be on the market till MAY 24th, then OFF the market until the fall.

5. Notice the Full Enclosure Canvas, Stack Pack on Main, Davits, swim platform, boarding ladder, and Solar Panel

6. This is a boat with a full standup separate shower in the head.

Sale Listing Ad (May 15 2017)

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/6118859643.html

Year = 1981
Location = Jacksonville FL, USA

Asking Price = $24,000 OBO

Specifications

Hull Type: Fin with rudder on skeg Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
LOA: 39.58' / 12.06m LWL: 32.42' / 9.88m
Beam: 12.06' / 3.68m Listed SA: 684 ft2 / 63.54 m2
Draft (max.) 4.75' / 1.45m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 19000 lbs./ 8618 kgs. Ballast: 8200 lbs. / 3720 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 15.43 Bal./Disp.: 43.17% Disp./Len.: 248.92
Designer: Richard Lazzara
Builder: Gulfstar Yachts (USA)
Construction: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1981 Last Built: 1984 # Built: 57

All photos are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Good luck on your own boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3725.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	147862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	147863  

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	147864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	147865  

Name:	IMG_3728.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	147866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	147867  

Name:	IMG_3730.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	147868   Click image for larger version

Name:	gulfstar_39_sailmaster_drawing.gif
Views:	219
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	147875  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 06:31   #710

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

[QUOTE=hamburking;2393904]This Irwin 34 is on ebay currently sitting under $4,000 usd. Its looks absolutely stunning...davits, electronics, everything looks brand new! 80 gals of water and 30 gals of fuel...not bad. Its only one great lake away from me, and its in Canada, so very realistic for me to buy. Please post your comments...I'm thinking I have to bid on this...seems too good to be true. I would sail around here for a year, then head south to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

More than too good to be true. Stolen or major hidden defect. 25% under market could be a deal, 25% of market is big red flag. Unless a family situation; death or divorce, such a price has very low credibility.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 07:05   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
More than too good to be true. Stolen or major hidden defect. 25% under market could be a deal, 25% of market is big red flag. Unless a family situation; death or divorce, such a price has very low credibility.
With two days left, there's no way to know what the final bid will be. Additionally, one of these boats just sold locally for $4500. It was mechanically sound, but needed some cosmetic love and a good cleaning.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 07:38   #712

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

[QUOTE=td0tz;2388498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chile1 View Post
Tartan 34

One of the cleanest, nicest, and certainly least expensive T34's out there. Starting with an excellent pedigree, Olin Stephens designed Tartan 34's are consistently rated one of the best "good old boats" especially in the so-named magazine. Many have traveled the distance from their Great Lakes origin to the Caribbean, where the centerboard/keel shoal draft makes them very desirable. And a brand new engine? Holy Mackerel.

I really like these boats. I especially like the centerboard and the ability to get into places where many can't.

I think that this is about as large a boat that I can eventually singlehand. Do you think, of course once I get the appropriate skills, of which I am still attaining, that this is a good singlehandler? Are these boats able to cross oceans? I want to go from San Fran to Mexico, then to the South Pacific and back to Seattle before heading up into Alaska.

Thanks,
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 07:43   #713

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

[QUOTE=Dave22q;2394211]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

The bid price on a lot eBay auctions doubles, triples, or more on the last day and even the last hour of bidding. I sold a car on an ebay auction that went from a bid price of ~$2,000 to a final selling price >$6,000 - in the last 15 minutes...

I've bought lots of very quality stuff on eBay where the first time I looked at it the current bid was $1 or less. If I had said "more than too good be true, no way someone would sell a $500 phone for $1, it must be stolen or broken, such a low price has very low credibility" - I would have never ended up getting a great deal on a phone (for a final purchase price of $230).

It's an auction - occasionally really good deals "slip through" and someone actually gets a $25,000 boat for $5,000. But, for every one time that happens though, 50 people get a $7,500 boat for $5,000 and another 50 pay $5,000 for a $2,500 boat.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 14:44   #714

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
ODay 31

Steady's Notes
1. This is the first boat of this model I have posted in this thread. I am doing so because it appears to be in very good condition and fits the needs of many people who are looking for a bay and coastal cruising boat that is Asking Price Less than $30K. I see a lot of people join CF looking for some small, inexpensive boat for live aboard. While this boat would not be my choice for a circumnavigation or crossing oceans, it does look like it would be comfortable for marina living on a small boat.

2. I like the swim step stern.

3. This boat looks like a good match for bay sailing and some coastal cruising. Notice that it has a relatively small, low HP Diesel Engine and small tankage for water and fuel.

Sale Listing Ad

1986 O'Day 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Location = Virginia
Asking Price = $22,900

Specs
Builder: O'Day Corp.
Designer: C. Raymond Hunt Associates
Flag of Registry: United States
Keel: Fin
Hull Shape: Displacement

Dimensions
LOA: 30 ft 1 in
LWL: 25 ft 11 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 3 in
Displacement: 10100 lbs Dry Load
Ballast: 3800 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 14 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Universal
Year Built: 1986
Engine Model: 14
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 2 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 14 HP

Maximum Speed: 7 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 (25 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (25 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 (15 Gallons)

Good luck on your own boat hunt.
These are fairly well built boats and often a good deal in the current market. If your doing coastal sailing and want a reasonably modern layout inside these work well. I don't remember if the 31 had the issue but a couple of these later o'days had keel joint/bolt issues so pay attention there.

When I was a kid in the 80's on my parents kells 23, my dad had a coworker with a new one of these boats that we would meet up with sometimes. Coming from the little kells the interior room on the O'day was staggering.
Old 16-05-2017, 14:54   #715

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Here is an interesting one Nonsuch 22. I knew some one looking for one and I contacted the owner seems clean. The person I knew looking is currently looking for a 26 but I think this one is still out there. Only real negative to me is outboard power and limited berths for the family.

Name:	<a title=Haul Out October 2015.jpg Views: 186 Size: 399.6 KB ID: 147917" style="margin: 2px" />

INA Members Forum::Nonsuch 22 For Sale:1986 Nonsuch 22 An Bad for sale

And a link to the original brochure
http://www.nonsuch.org/assets/docs/ns22brochure.pdf
Old 20-05-2017, 13:53   #716

Boat: Pedalo ,2016

Why so many nice boat under $30k on the East ? and no much on the west !!!
el31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 14:11   #717

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by el31415 View Post
Why so many nice boat under $30k on the East ? and no much on the west !!!
Having lived in Hawaii, California, Oregon, Tennessee & Florida I can tell you that everything is cheaper in Florida.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 14:47   #718

Its an Irwin... Not a fan. Had a friend with a Citation that was replacing something and his arm stuck to the hull because the resin never cured...I have pictures of a 42 on jack stands that pushed the hull in...Good lake boat...
Newportyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 17:52   #719

A CULT CLASSIC !

Here is something that doesn’t come up too often, the Cowichan Wooden Boat Society at https://www.classicboats.org/cbmc-donate-a-boat.html is offering a Herreshoff 28 for sale. This boat is located at Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I have no connection, financial or otherwise with the Cowichan Wooden Boat Society. The boat’s aesthetic appeal is powerful and if it can be kept sailing that’s a plus. There are only 4 pics. available.

“ Immaculate condition!! “ And at a price that is extraordinary - $12,500 Can. or $9,200 U.S.

From the net:

H28s are renowned as bullet-proof yachts. Yachtsmen usually agreed that the common denominator of Mr. Herreshoff's design was good looks. All his yachts were extraordinarily handsome. At the same time, he paid great heed to the traditional in boat design and was thoroughly educated in the construction aspects.These yachts have cruised offshore and several have sailed around the world. If you are looking for a really safe, sea-kindly yacht to start your sailing adventure and want a lot of boat for a modest price you really should look at a Herrshoff. This Herrshoff H-28 Auxiliary sloop “MANTRA” was donated to The Cowichan Wooden Boat Society and is in immaculate condition - completely overhauled. Recent surveys are available per request.

L.O.A. 28’ 10’’ Breadth: 9’ 2’’ Draught: 4’ 2’’
Built 1961 (believed by J.T.Taylor, Vancouver, B.C.)
• Red Cedar Plank on Oak Frames
• Three sails (new main sail and cover 2000)
• 1 wood whisker pole
• 1 clock
Cushions replaced throughout (2001)
• Spruce mast replaced (2004)
Yanmar Diesel 2GM low hrs. since rebuild (salt water cooled) installed 2001
• Campbell Sailor Propeller
Electric and manual bilge pumps
• Ground tackle: 2X 13lb. Danforth anchors, 18’ galvanized chain, 200’ braided nylon anchor line
• 30 gallon plastic water tank
• Head, Holding Tank
Propane: 2 burner stove w/oven and Dickinson Newport Fireplace
Compass, “Horizon Intrepid GX 1260S” VHF (2001), Lowrance X-28 sounder (2001), hand held GPS (Magellan, Map 330M)
• Two Batteries (1 start - 1 house)

Link to interesting information on Herreshoff 28 written by Cruisers Forum’s Jeff H
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wreply&p=16624

chile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 18:14   #720

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile1 View Post
A CULT CLASSIC !

Here is something that doesn’t come up too often, the Cowichan Wooden Boat Society at https://www.classicboats.org/cbmc-donate-a-boat.html is offering a Herreshoff 28 for sale. This boat is located at Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I have no connection, financial or otherwise with the Cowichan Wooden Boat Society. The boat’s aesthetic appeal is powerful and if it can be kept sailing that’s a plus. There are only 4 pics. available.

“ Immaculate condition!! “ And at a price that is extraordinary - $12,500 Can. or $9,200 U.S.

From the net:

H28s are renowned as bullet-proof yachts. Yachtsmen usually agreed that the common denominator of Mr. Herreshoff's design was good looks. All his yachts were extraordinarily handsome. At the same time, he paid great heed to the traditional in boat design and was thoroughly educated in the construction aspects.These yachts have cruised offshore and several have sailed around the world. If you are looking for a really safe, sea-kindly yacht to start your sailing adventure and want a lot of boat for a modest price you really should look at a Herrshoff. This Herrshoff H-28 Auxiliary sloop “MANTRA” was donated to The Cowichan Wooden Boat Society and is in immaculate condition - completely overhauled. Recent surveys are available per request.

L.O.A. 28’ 10’’ Breadth: 9’ 2’’ Draught: 4’ 2’’
Built 1961 (believed by J.T.Taylor, Vancouver, B.C.)
• Red Cedar Plank on Oak Frames
• Three sails (new main sail and cover 2000)
• 1 wood whisker pole
• 1 clock
Cushions replaced throughout (2001)
• Spruce mast replaced (2004)
Yanmar Diesel 2GM low hrs. since rebuild (salt water cooled) installed 2001
• Campbell Sailor Propeller
Electric and manual bilge pumps
• Ground tackle: 2X 13lb. Danforth anchors, 18’ galvanized chain, 200’ braided nylon anchor line
• 30 gallon plastic water tank
• Head, Holding Tank
Propane: 2 burner stove w/oven and Dickinson Newport Fireplace
Compass, “Horizon Intrepid GX 1260S” VHF (2001), Lowrance X-28 sounder (2001), hand held GPS (Magellan, Map 330M)
• Two Batteries (1 start - 1 house)

Link to interesting information on Herreshoff 28 written by Cruisers Forum’s Jeff H
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wreply&p=16624

What a sweetheart! I'd be proud to own that one.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price