Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 13:34   #166

Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

I skipped most of the previous posts. Maybe somebody mentioned it already:

Apparently the Jolly Roger (from the French joli rouge - blood red) is the patron saint of the Knights Templar. It should be about John the Baptist. This flag was first used on the Templars' ships and later adapted by the pirates. So if you look at the origin of the flag ...
Oh yes, it was red at the time because this color represented the blood of John the Baptist that he shed when he was (prophylactically) beheaded.
But I don't want to comment on the Templar order and its statutes. Neither positive nor negative. Just not at all. It's about the flag - not more not less.

Cheers
Old 14-09-2021, 13:51   #167
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I think that the Jolly Roger is one of their mating calls.

ARRRRRGGG! Whoops sorry, that might sound too pirate like. Ya just had to post a JB song. Here's the funny thing for those who don't care anyway. I've worked on JB's boats because he uses our watermakers. Funny thing is we were working on one almost all day a few years back. The internet radio music was mostly the Rolling Stones etc. Cheeseburger in Paradise came on and he went over and changed the channel.

PS. To be fair, he really is a nice down to Earth guy.
Old 14-09-2021, 14:06   #168

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
... To be fair, he (Jimmy Buffet) really is a nice down to Earth guy.
I am sure he is, sailor, flyer, and a great musician to boot etc etc. I've got all his albums too. But now, to me, he's just an old bald guy whose music makes me vomit.

(Sorry, I had to say it, and I REALLY DON'T play his songs very much, but I guess Jamaica Mistaica is OK.)
Old 14-09-2021, 15:50   #169

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Ann was to kind about Sea Shepherd. Paul Watson is an idiot leading a bunch of well intentioned young people astray and placing their lives at risk. He shouldn't be called Capt. of a garbage scow.
There is a right way and wrong way to do things. The TV show was pure feeding his ego and probably his pocket book.
Old 14-09-2021, 16:52   #170

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...hasn't this slogan been adopted by people advocating the most idiotic gun laws in the world?
We don’t lock our dingies with 15hp on them. Or our Whalers, or lazerettes or anchors. And that’s without a pirate flag to scare off the thieves.

And at least we have boats.

Haters gotta hate.
Old 14-09-2021, 18:24   #171

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?
Instead of a pirate flag, how about the police flag, the Thin Blue Line flag....

https://www.flagstoreusa.com/product...-flag-12-x-18/
Old 14-09-2021, 19:40   #172

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am sure he is, sailor, flyer, and a great musician to boot etc etc. I've got all his albums too. But now, to me, he's just an old bald guy whose music makes me vomit.

(Sorry, I had to say it, and I REALLY DON'T play his songs very much, but I guess Jamaica Mistaica is OK.)

Not sure what the status of his hair follicles have to do with anything but he’s pretty far from being a great musician, probably the rest of his band are all better. But he’s a very good songwriter and a fantastic entertainer so his concert audiences are having such a good time that nobody pays much attention to his mediocre musicianship or cares. I understand those who have grown tired of him but even that is sort of an acknowledgement of his widespread and enduring popularity. Around the water his music is everywhere and has been for more than 40 years, so he must have done something right. I’m sure he’d understand that many of us have enjoyed his music for so long that we occasionally could use a break, and some need a permanent one.

It’s been almost 20 years now but I did some work on one of his boats and I agree with Tellie that he’s a nice guy and is very down to earth and an avid boater and pilot.

But ANY loud music being played in a peaceful anchorage is inappropriate, even if it’s good music.
Old 14-09-2021, 20:32   #173

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well any loud music except Pink Floyd

I’ll see my way out
Old 14-09-2021, 23:32   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
Please excuse me while my eyes roll into the next zip code.

This flag represents evil people in the same manner that the Union Jack represents colonial imperialism—200 years ago, maybe. Its meaning has long since changed, like many symbols tend to do.

I served in a military unit, and flew with another, that used the Jolly Roger as its official insignia. Navy JAG commands run it up the flag pole on base when trial defense counsel wins a case. It is very commonly used in the submarine service, especially the Royal Navy. I could go on and on. Its meaning has long since changed from representing piracy to representing rebellion against the system and victory at sea.

Claiming that this flag is the same as the Nazi flag is beyond ridiculous.

Stop looking to be offended and go fly a dayshape, or whatever it is wet blankets do for fun.
Thank you. Cannot believe people are triggered by Jolly Roger. It's an iconic symbol and it's cool because everyone has an interpretation of its meaning. Maybe you're a Brady fan? A Raider fan? A Johnny Depp fan? A Fighter pilot? A (god forbid) Buffet fan? I like it because 1, I grew up in Dogtown, and more so that it represents a democracy based rebellion against monarchy and oppression.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-14.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	245350  
Old 15-09-2021, 04:36   #175

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
Please excuse me while my eyes roll into the next zip code.

This flag represents evil people in the same manner that the Union Jack represents colonial imperialism—200 years ago, maybe. Its meaning has long since changed, like many symbols tend to do.
I was about to mention the C word, but you already did. Agree!
Old 15-09-2021, 04:53   #176

Boat: Hunter 340 '99

Fly whatever personal flag you want. Projecting personal feelz into symbols representing one thing to A and an entirely different thing to B is a useless exercise, to say nothing of intrusive, irrational and presumptuous.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:57   #177

Little kids wear it during Trick or Treat. OMG!!!!! The Horror!!!
Old 15-09-2021, 14:11   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
I like [the Jolly Roger] because [...] it represents a democracy based rebellion against monarchy and oppression.

I once read that pirate crews were very progressive for their time. Captains were voted for, female crew were treated as equals and sometimes became captains, there were strict but fair rules with corresponding rewards and punishments, etc.

Of course, I read all of this in some magazine in the checkout lane of a grocery store, so ...
Old 15-09-2021, 14:50   #179

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
Thank you. Cannot believe people are triggered by Jolly Roger. It's an iconic symbol and it's cool because everyone has an interpretation of its meaning. Maybe you're a Brady fan? A Raider fan? A Johnny Depp fan? A Fighter pilot? A (god forbid) Buffet fan? I like it because 1, I grew up in Dogtown, and more so that it represents a democracy based rebellion against monarchy and oppression.
Nazis in the SS had it too. Scull and bones, a exclusive club for former presidents...
Old 15-09-2021, 21:00   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well any loud music except Pink Floyd
Or AC/DC.

"I don't always listen to AC/DC, but when I do, so do my neighbours!"
Closed Thread