Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 09:23   #151

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
is it not obvious, that the flag has a "cosmopolitan" idea behind it? In this context to think of the inset tricoloured flag as anything else than the french flag (particularly as Bombigher was french...) - seems to point to a particularly US-american phenomenon:
No, it is not obvious. It's not centred on France, or any French territory afaict. On seeing the flag, one would not immediately know who designed it, or know that he is/was French. Having any single national flag on it, seems to make it anything but "universal" as you suggested.
In case you didn't notice, skipperpete doesn't appear to be US-american. Nor am I.
Old 13-09-2021, 09:45   #152
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I'll give up my Pirate flag as soon as the dozen or so cruisers who want to anchor within ear shot give up their WAY over used Jimmy buffet CDs.
Old 13-09-2021, 09:57   #153

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I realize only a few sailors here may feel this way, but we fly the Stars and Stripes, which says what we want to say. And if there’s still ambiguity, the Lone Star should clarify.
Old 13-09-2021, 10:03   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'll give up my Pirate flag as soon as the dozen or so cruisers who want to anchor within ear shot give up their WAY over used Jimmy buffet CDs.
Does flying the pirate flag actually keep them away? If so I might fly one myself.

By the way, don't exactly hate Jimmy Buffet but a little bit of him goes a LOOOOOONG way.

Years ago a friend was anchored in Big Major's spot waiting out a front and Buffet anchored a couple of boats over. JB and crew spent the entire time zooming around in big dinghies, tossing around all the other boats in the anchorage, drinking, shouting and making way too much noise until late every night.
Old 13-09-2021, 11:27   #155
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Does flying the pirate flag actually keep them away? If so I might fly one myself.

By the way, don't exactly hate Jimmy Buffet but a little bit of him goes a LOOOOOONG way.

Years ago a friend was anchored in Big Major's spot waiting out a front and Buffet anchored a couple of boats over. JB and crew spent the entire time zooming around in big dinghies, tossing around all the other boats in the anchorage, drinking, shouting and making way too much noise until late every night.
I wish he'd find that damned shaker of salt or at the least tip the bartender to get him one.
Old 13-09-2021, 12:47   #156
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

It wasn't that long ago, that you could walk directly on an airplane, no metal detectors required. Friends and family could accompany you, etc...

But these days, seems like the world lives in fear and paranoia...

I started my travels in 1976. As above, for the most part it was pure bliss. Officials were genuinely glad to see you and give you a helping hand.

My 2c is that the world has been overtaken by political correctness, fear mongering, greed, avarice, gender reveals, school shootings, blah, blah, etc, etc.

Let's face it, it's hard to think, say or do anything these days without stirring up controversy...arguments...hatred....etc...etc..

This "pirate flag" topic is typical, there is no consensus here whatsoever...none....zero....squat...
Old 13-09-2021, 12:55   #157
PJS

Boat: 2008 40' Sea Ray Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
Please excuse me while my eyes roll into the next zip code.

This flag represents evil people in the same manner that the Union Jack represents colonial imperialism—200 years ago, maybe. Its meaning has long since changed, like many symbols tend to do.

I served in a military unit, and flew with another, that used the Jolly Roger as its official insignia. Navy JAG commands run it up the flag pole on base when trial defense counsel wins a case. It is very commonly used in the submarine service, especially the Royal Navy. I could go on and on. Its meaning has long since changed from representing piracy to representing rebellion against the system and victory at sea.

Claiming that this flag is the same as the Nazi flag is beyond ridiculous.

Stop looking to be offended and go fly a dayshape, or whatever it is wet blankets do for fun.

WOW, sensitivities.... love it!

I could not agree more, too many people looking for things to complain about. In this day and age too many people are offended....so the offensive should be blackballed. Better yet, lets abolish the offensive all together and eliminate history as if it did not happen.

The world is full of idiots as proven by their actions and more born every day. They are the ones that should be blackballed....aye matey, come on, you all know we were talking about...they are probably slurping on their 10th Bud and many more in the rolling cooler singing along to Sweet Home Alabama or similar for the entire 5 mile radius to hear.... The very same ones flying the Jolly Roger
Old 13-09-2021, 13:25   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I think that the Jolly Roger is one of their mating calls.
Old 13-09-2021, 13:55   #159

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

It’s like a glitch in our makeup. People seem driven to try to force other people to change their behaviour. As if somehow that will make us happier. Actually, all else aside, it just does not work.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”. Einstein.

Appreciate many of the flags in this thread though.
Old 13-09-2021, 17:16   #160

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Seems to me, whatever your opinion - the flag works.

You avoid those people because you don't like what it makes you think of and they probably don't mind that you are avoiding them.

Win win?
Old 13-09-2021, 19:16   #161

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Pirates, and Robin Hood (another thief) have been romanticized - for $s earned by romanticizers.
Old 13-09-2021, 19:26   #162

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders
Mmmmm, some were, but some weren't, and were actually commissioned by various countries to prey on their enemy's commercial ships for a percentage.

Quote:
why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?
Probably for the same reason people think it's cool to dress all up in leather and denim and ride around on Harleys and act like they're tough (when they're really not).
Old 13-09-2021, 19:48   #163

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Mmmmm, some were, but some weren't, and were actually commissioned by various countries to prey on their enemy's commercial ships for a percentage.

Probably for the same reason people think it's cool to dress all up in leather and denim and ride around on Harleys and act like they're tough (when they're really not).
Good point garyfdl! Jean Lafitte (or Laffite) was a French pirate whom the US government asked to protect the Gulf from the British navy. Back then, the British navy ruled the seas and the fledgling US didn’t have squat.

Lafitte beat the Brits out of the gulf, and in thanks was barred from the area by our government.
Old 13-09-2021, 20:11   #164

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate those who took my concern seriously and despite the usual CF trolls and side trips this was a meaningful experience for me.

I was inspired by the flag featuring the blue earth and reminded me of how exciting and inspiring it was when I was a kid and I think it was an Apollo mission that took a fantastic color photo of earth from space. I got a poster of that and put it up in my room.

To me, an earth flag represents appreciation, respect, and care for the earth and it's inhabitants and I can't think of a better statement to make as a cruiser.

I visited Amazon.com and guess what? They got lots. Some cheap (5 bucks) and some well made enough to stand up to a storm.

Below are three flags that make statements I like- the blue earth, the interlocking rings, and the UN flag. I purchased the blue earth one and will fly it proudly.

Thanks for playing!
There you go, a fine house flag for you. Glad you found one you like.

Ann
Old 13-09-2021, 22:05   #165

Boat: J/42

I noticed this one flying among the many at one of the windsurf concessions this week. I’d almost forgotten about it.

Closed Thread