Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 04:28   #136

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Does that flag have a particular meaning? The Southern cross is not like the one I know and I wonder what the significance is of the Tango flag (vessel trawling)?
wow! US of A...words fail me!
Old 13-09-2021, 04:32   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
The meaning of symbols change over time and the skull and crossbones pirate flag is a classic example of this. I don’t think that this symbol has been used by anyone actually engaged in piracy for almost 300 years, but it has been widely used by fun loving boaters with a rebellious spirit, especially those in a partying mood. Since this is widely known, I think that anyone suggesting that flying the Jolly Roger is offensive to them must be trying VERY hard to find something, anything, to be offended by.
As in times past the pirate flag still says:

Unpleasant company, stay away

As to the rebel spirit, I don't find much to admire in so called rebels who need to show their rebellion by conforming to the most used-up clichés. They're so different that they look the same as as everyone else wanting to be different. Rebelsheep!
Old 13-09-2021, 05:14   #138

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
wow! US of A...words fail me!
Without context it's impossible to distinguish the flag of France from the Tango flag. Perhaps you can enlighten the forum as to the meaning in this flag. I personally am not bothered by the inclusion of the numerous minor stars in Crux, but feel the handle on Ursa Minor bends the wrong way.
Old 13-09-2021, 05:21   #139
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Why do you need to fly a flag.. is it a subconscious need to be part of a tribe/herd.???
If so join a Yacht Club and fly their rag..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-09-2021, 05:21   #140

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Without context it's impossible to distinguish the flag of France from the Tango flag. Perhaps you can enlighten the forum as to the meaning in this flag. I personally am not bothered by the inclusion of the numerous minor stars in Crux, but feel the handle on Ursa Minor bends the wrong way.
is it not obvious, that the flag has a "cosmopolitan" idea behind it? In this context to think of the inset tricoloured flag as anything else than the french flag (particularly as Bombigher was french...) - seems to point to a particularly US-american phenomenon: "99,9% of the world is covered by the USofA, the rest is not worth knowing about..:"
(but what did I expect of a nation who voted a man into their highest office, who thinks we here "live in the forest in forest cities")
& BTW: "USofA is copyright Sascha Baron Cohen - alias Borat" - portraits I find fitting...
Old 13-09-2021, 05:27   #141

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

I like the two hemisphere flag with the two polar star constellations shown, minus the tango flag, but it would be a bear to make.

Ann
But then we'll have to hear from a new set of the outraged that this is a non-inclusive western hemisphere biased view of the globe, offensive to APAC cultures or something...
Old 13-09-2021, 05:31   #142

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 13-09-2021, 05:58   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

what about tattoo's...most every sailor I know sports some or other artwork embellishment to the personage.....many have a skull and bones, dragon, devil, snake, evil eyes or other dastardly artistic motive spread across shoulders, arms, legs, etc, more often than not to proclaim "I'm a bad ass".......are we to be lumped in a non-desirable group ??
Old 13-09-2021, 06:15   #144
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
what about tattoo's...most every sailor I know sports some or other artwork embellishment to the personage.....many have a skull and bones, dragon, devil, snake, evil eyes or other dastardly artistic motive spread across shoulders, arms, legs, etc, more often than not to proclaim "I'm a bad ass".......are we to be lumped in a non-desirable group ??
Not everyone's into body graffiti.. some of us don't like to deface perfection..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-09-2021, 07:35   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

For what it's worth I have a pirate flag story. Many years ago I was stuck at the Dry Tortugas waiting out a particularly bad norther. Several fishing boats were also there waiting out the weather and we hung out with the crews for a few days. Got to be friendly with one captain who mentioned he just got back to fishing after a five year absence. I asked how come and he confessed he just got out of jail for catching square grouper instead of the usual kind.

After a few beers one night he gave me the whole story. Took his boat to Jamaica, loaded up and headed back to the keys. Coming through the Yucatan they were boarded by the USCG and busted.

Two things I found interesting in the trial. He had a skull and crossbones flag below in a drawer which was found in the search. At the trial the CG witnesses and the prosecutor made a really big deal about the possession of a pirate flag on board, like these guys were real pirates instead of a bunch of stoner fishermen. Tried to use that as a factor to give them a much longer sentence.

The other thing that was interesting, the CQ presented a verbatim transcript of everything the crew said on the fishing boat while the CG vessel was watching them from a couple of miles away. Apparently the crew was talking about the cargo and expressing concern about being boarded. So since this was all heard they were of course boarded.

So one conclusion, some authorities in some situations might take a dim view of a pirate flag.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:03   #146

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate those who took my concern seriously and despite the usual CF trolls and side trips this was a meaningful experience for me.

I was inspired by the flag featuring the blue earth and reminded me of how exciting and inspiring it was when I was a kid and I think it was an Apollo mission that took a fantastic color photo of earth from space. I got a poster of that and put it up in my room.

To me, an earth flag represents appreciation, respect, and care for the earth and it's inhabitants and I can't think of a better statement to make as a cruiser.

I visited Amazon.com and guess what? They got lots. Some cheap (5 bucks) and some well made enough to stand up to a storm.

Below are three flags that make statements I like- the blue earth, the interlocking rings, and the UN flag. I purchased the blue earth one and will fly it proudly.

Thanks for playing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flags2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	245214  
Old 13-09-2021, 08:22   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
For what it's worth I have a pirate flag story....
Interesting tale.

A pirate flag is at some level a desire to associate oneself with those who, in a very romanticized, whitewashed, Disneyfied way. were rogues, scoundrels, characters... but they were free, maaan, and they worked and played haaard, right?

There are other such markers, many discussed already: certain tattoos, the weekend motorcycle "outlaw" garb, big macho offroad trucks that never get dirty... There's also paramilitary garb, "tactical" clothes and accessories, camo etc. There's no arguing the practicality and durability of much of the military clothing, packs etc that are available surplus (I have a great army sweater, some USCG shorts, and a few surplus packs and bags etc)... but for some, it's also a marker - hey I'm a prepper, badass, "merc", whatever. Camo or fatigues downtown, or at the mall? Really?

The unauthorized wearing of camo and military clothing is actually illegal in many countries, btw. As per skipmac's story, the Jolly Roger isn't regarded by some authorities as completely benign either. Seems even the Pentagon is now being a wet blanket about it too.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:29   #148

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
For what it's worth I have a pirate flag story..,,
The other thing that was interesting, the CQ presented a verbatim transcript of everything the crew said on the fishing boat while the CG vessel was watching them from a couple of miles away. Apparently the crew was talking about the cargo and expressing concern about being boarded. So since this was all heard they were of course boarded.

Laser on glass trick?
Old 13-09-2021, 08:52   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Laser on glass trick?
If I recall (this happened almost 40 years ago) I was told that the conversation took place outside so I'm guessing a parabolic microphone. The boats were all open rear deck with a semi enclosed pilothouse and a small forward cabin so not a lot of inside areas to hang out.

I do know that the captain told me he was very surprised to see the transcript in court. I think shortly after that he went for a plea bargain.

I have seen what appear to be very large, stabilized binoculars on the CG cutters I have seen docked in Florida so assume they might have a similar system with a parabolic mike.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:58   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The unauthorized wearing of camo and military clothing is actually illegal in many countries, btw.
I had read something about this before. Some places wearing camo is taken very seriously and the authorities immediately put you in with the local revolutionaries and militia groups. Not something I would want to deal with in a third world environment.
Closed Thread