Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2021, 07:56   #286

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation
Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Times change. In the 1980s my young children had a Duke Boys General Lee match box car with confederate Flag on roof. At the time I never thought much of it. General Lee was a traitor that considered freed black families in PA as contraband and sent them south to be enslaved. If General Lee was hung for being a traitor to the United States Constitution, I don’t think we would have had any confederate flags after civil war.
Old 18-09-2021, 08:01   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
No, just thinking that by age 28, people should be mature enough to stop playing "let's pretend" games that are more suitable to children in a school yard.

There are much better ways to amuse yourself as an adult than making yourself look ridiculous.
That's sad.

I hope I'm never that serious. Being a little ridiculous occasionally is good for the soul.

I assume, you don't have a boat (not very adult to go out and play on the water) and are planning to work until 80 because you desperately need to stay serious because you are an "adult".
Old 18-09-2021, 08:15   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
Times change. In the 1980s my young children had a Duke Boys General Lee match box car with confederate Flag on roof. At the time I never thought much of it. General Lee was a traitor that considered freed black families in PA as contraband and sent them south to be enslaved. If General Lee was hung for being a traitor to the United States Constitution, I don’t think we would have had any confederate flags after civil war.
I suggest taking a history class (actual history not the woke version).

General Lee was a complex figure and your description has almost nothing to do with the real man.

There was a very clear effort after the war at reconciliation between the north & south. Unlike after WWI when there was a strong effort to punish the Germans and it can be traced as part of the cause of WWII...our leaders knew we needed to come together and efforts to punish the south would only lead to further conflict down the road. Unfortunately, the current woke climate doesn't all for such a nuanced understanding.
Old 18-09-2021, 08:16   #289
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
A few points for the OP...

Worry about yourself and not others choice of flags.

Maybe look deeper into who the "pirates" really were.

The real pirates are your government, I do not care where you are from. You are all cattle and to be exploited; taxes, permits, no-travel, lock downs, basically like little kids begging your overlords for your inherent rights...

The guys back in the day, the "pirates", may have been hiding their gold and gems under water in the sea, from the SAME robbing actual pirates, the powdered wig fruitcakes of "royalty" in france, england, spain. Why else would they hide these and make maps to them ("treasures")? Was it a game? I dont think so. These guys probably just wanted to be free, much like many of us who sail, so we are not under the same encumbrances of land, and the 2-legged sharks/ pirates that exist there.

My $.02, and I care not what anyone thinks of it.
So what do you call the ones who attack our boats and steal all our stuff at gunpoint, like near Somalia?
Old 18-09-2021, 08:21   #290
cruiser

Here are two flag that pirates are really, really afraid of, and apparently will never try to attack....Chinese and Russian flags. Anybody ever hear of how they deal with them like off the coast of Somalia? Our governments think its un-PC to defend ourselves from them these days.
Old 18-09-2021, 08:24   #291

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I suggest taking a history class (actual history not the woke version).

General Lee was a complex figure and your description has almost nothing to do with the real man.

There was a very clear effort after the war at reconciliation between the north & south. Unlike after WWI when there was a strong effort to punish the Germans and it can be traced as part of the cause of WWII...our leaders knew we needed to come together and efforts to punish the south would only lead to further conflict down the road. Unfortunately, the current woke climate doesn't all for such a nuanced understanding.
I agree with you about the history of reconciliation between the north and south. Hence the reason the confederate flag was accepted for so long in America.
Old 18-09-2021, 10:12   #292

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Geez, this thread is still going....

Warning...... ninnies, should not watch this video...... panties in wad and offended you will be:

Old 18-09-2021, 10:26   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Joy View Post
united nations flag
The United Nations was a wooly headed notion that, at this time has clearly failed. It has descended into corruption and is the dictator's greatest friend. In a war zone, the most dangerous place to be is under the protection of U.N. Peacekeepers.
Old 18-09-2021, 10:47   #294
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
A lot of modern humans romanticize a time when humans had real freedoms and not laws that give us the illusion of freedom.

What real freedoms , most were indentured serfs , history isn’t what Walt Disney made up.
Old 18-09-2021, 10:50   #295
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinden View Post
Trump Flag, shows rebellion as well as true and honesty.

Rebellion , true and honest. There’s a funny combination.

Of course one mans rebel is another mans terrorist
Old 18-09-2021, 10:58   #296

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Warning...... ninnies, should not watch this video...... panties in wad and offended you will be
I'm a member of the Nation. Free. As you would expect. If I run into Mr. Chesney in White Bay (again) I'll be sure to talk about the imagery of the pirate flag. He's sort of invested at this point. I'd still invite him over for dinner. The girls can come too.

No Shoes. No Shirt. No Problem.

Closed Thread