Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 07:36   #16

Re: Delivery skipped wanted

Boat owners have ever right to specify who sails on their vessel...I have sent you a PM.. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 13-03-2013, 08:42   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I want NO people over 65 on my boat; nor anyone who wears their underwear inside out!
And NO people who stay up past 2100 hours local time!
Old 13-03-2013, 12:06   #18

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Does the no shoes in the boat rule (Sea Wings) apply during nasty conditions when on-watch crew are wearing full foulies? Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out how that works logistically.
Old 13-03-2013, 12:21   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Does the no shoes in the boat rule (Sea Wings) apply during nasty conditions when on-watch crew are wearing full foulies? Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out how that works logistically.
only if they are wearing their underpants inside out,back to front
Old 13-03-2013, 17:18   #20

Boat: Hunter (British) 27'3"

Can we talk about boats and forget the smoking debateplease
Old 13-03-2013, 17:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I live in Thailand on Koh Lanta and have to go get a 40 foot Dehler this low season from Italy. Let me know when you intend to do the crossing may be we could convoy up !
Old 13-03-2013, 17:28   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery skipped wanted

Where uv you been mate... smokins gone ages ago..
and Atolls just getting to the bottom of things...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-03-2013, 17:48   #23

Boat: Hunter (British) 27'3"

Hi Emmalina

Do you mean from Italy to Thailand? Just to be clear. I want to crew on this one not skipper.

Regards

Colm
Old 13-03-2013, 18:05   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee I guess I can't sail with any of you folks!! Im way over 65, don't wear underwear, don't smoke, and am 30 lbs overweight!! and unless it's 50degs or more don't wear shoes!! but I can stand watch and cook is that gonna help??
Old 13-03-2013, 18:18   #25

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm out, I guess... had a cigarette about 50 years ago and can't remember where my underwear is let alone my outerwear! cheers, Phil
Old 13-03-2013, 19:51   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I do indeed mean Italy to Thailand have had the boat sat in Italy for too long and I need it here for charter work...
Old 14-03-2013, 15:23   #27

happy to talk to you about the delivery, 247sailing dot net
Captain Louis
Old 15-03-2013, 08:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery skipped wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Smoking is but ONE factor and yes qualifications are of course the primary ones, but I think there are many valid reasons to prefer a non-smoker and if someone specifies that, it should be respected, Your reply of "Duh.." is extemporaneous and indicative, perhaps of the the kind of disrespect a smoker has for his or her own life, body, health and well-being, not to mention often that of others round him or her. Even if the smoker assiduously restricts smoking to the cockpit or deck it still will leave ashes and unless the smoker always lights up and smokes the entire cigarette downwind, the fumes will almost always reach the cabin or the other sailors. Plus the smell lingers on his clothes and weather gear and when they are brought into the cabin--perhaps damp and musty, it gets worse. Smokers are less healthy, they cough, have less stamina and it's just an attractive and unpleasant habit. In fact, it's an addiction and that can make a person unpleasant and difficult until they get satisfied with the smoke. Smokers are often nervous and edgy. Imagine if their cigarettes got wet and you're offshore for a week. That's instant cold turkey for a crew member--and an unsafe and unpleasant trip. And of course cigarettes can burn rope, gelcoat, wood, clothing etc. And then the butts get flicked overboard...or maybe in the cockpit scuppers--endangering the voyage! How nice.
Boat owners have every right to specify that they prefer non smokers. It's their choice. They are not telling you not to pollute your lungs--just not to do it on their boat. You make a choice to smoke and then get addicted, thereby losing a part of your free will to the habit of the tobacco. It is virtually impossible for a smoker not to adveresely impact a non-smoker on a boat.
If you don't mind hiring a smoker--go right ahead. Maybe a nudist too--with tattoos and nose rings! Maybe a coke snorter or a rummie. It's your choice, but why the "duh" comments that disregards the choices of others who prefer not to have smokers on board??
No smoke, no smell, no ash... no fire.. aint technology great..
Smart Smoker 'Storm' White Manual Electronic Cigarette (510)
and at 59Euro for the starter packs you can be damn sure no dog ends...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-03-2013, 15:21   #29

Boat: Anything that floats & sails

I'm sort of interested - Yachtmater Offshore with comm. end, but not oceanmaster (yet) and more to the point, done several Med. deliveries and a recent on Hong Kong - Abu Dhabi, (as mate, not skipper) so some experience of Arabian Gulf, India, Sri, Bay of Bengal etc...

Key points : Suez & Red Sea a major bureaucratic pain, you will absolutely need a shipping agent to handle your Saudi, Yemeni etc affairs, & they are not cheap. Red Sea sailing is not nice but at least you are going downwind... If you have radios make sure you have ALL the documentation, test certificates, licenses etc else you will get into trouble.

Arabian Gulf - pirate and people trafficking problems may have died down a bit but wld be extremely nasty if encountered, and no, the various Navy Patrols can only offer very limited protection IF you are closer to them than e.g. a 25' skiff with a 50HP outboard can get in 5 mins... You should seriously consider the long route, if you have the time, or paying for a ship - lift : Out there you are on your own if the wrong people come alongside.

India also bureaucratic nightmare, you MUST get visas for your vessel and crew - we were impounded for not having these & only got away with it because they decided we were not worth he hassle. Sri Lanka - again, you MUST get an agent (more precisely, Windsor Reef Navigation Ltd). You will not get anywhere without them. Galle is very pretty but beware of being tied up on the cement wharf while the paperwork goes through - your topsides will get very gritty & your fenders will get mashed.

Wherever you go, mind out for the fishermen. They are always very friendly, but do not have fenders!!! Be nice, and prepare some presents (baccy, booze) - they are very poor, comparatively speaking, and a little goes a long way.

if you want more anecdotes/adv, happy to oblige.

NB - I smoke.
Old 18-03-2013, 04:43   #30

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats me screwed... I smoke..
and drink the owners rum..
Best wishes on the purchase and delivery...
National Title a few years back. sailing instructor, Delivery Skipper, Owned my own sailing school. But I smoke. I am out. Might as well share the bottle of rum with you Boatman :-D

Tags
delivery, wanted