Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 18:50   #1

Boat: Maxi 7.7
Delivery skipped wanted

Hi, I am looking to get a 40ft yacht from Malta to Phuket (Thailand) or Lankawi ( Malaysia ). The purchase is still under negotiation, if all works out, possibly depart sometime in April. No smokers please.
Old 10-03-2013, 21:17   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Delivery skipped wanted

Helluva trip, whichever was its done. Might have to do it Westabout as Insurance companies are a bit leery of insuring sailing vessels through Suez and across to India, thanks to the political situations in the littoral states, not to mention pirate activity (which, admittedly, has recently died down).

You can check me out on this siteand send me a pm if interested.

cheers, tony
Old 10-03-2013, 21:24   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
No smokers please.
Duh, any smoking is done outside in the breeze, no smell, no ashes inside: I would hire a delivery skipper based on quals, not on smoking prefs..
Old 11-03-2013, 06:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Duh, any smoking is done outside in the breeze, no smell, no ashes inside: I would hire a delivery skipper based on quals, not on smoking prefs..
Smoking is but ONE factor and yes qualifications are of course the primary ones, but I think there are many valid reasons to prefer a non-smoker and if someone specifies that, it should be respected, Your reply of "Duh.." is extemporaneous and indicative, perhaps of the the kind of disrespect a smoker has for his or her own life, body, health and well-being, not to mention often that of others round him or her. Even if the smoker assiduously restricts smoking to the cockpit or deck it still will leave ashes and unless the smoker always lights up and smokes the entire cigarette downwind, the fumes will almost always reach the cabin or the other sailors. Plus the smell lingers on his clothes and weather gear and when they are brought into the cabin--perhaps damp and musty, it gets worse. Smokers are less healthy, they cough, have less stamina and it's just an attractive and unpleasant habit. In fact, it's an addiction and that can make a person unpleasant and difficult until they get satisfied with the smoke. Smokers are often nervous and edgy. Imagine if their cigarettes got wet and you're offshore for a week. That's instant cold turkey for a crew member--and an unsafe and unpleasant trip. And of course cigarettes can burn rope, gelcoat, wood, clothing etc. And then the butts get flicked overboard...or maybe in the cockpit scuppers--endangering the voyage! How nice.
Boat owners have every right to specify that they prefer non smokers. It's their choice. They are not telling you not to pollute your lungs--just not to do it on their boat. You make a choice to smoke and then get addicted, thereby losing a part of your free will to the habit of the tobacco. It is virtually impossible for a smoker not to adveresely impact a non-smoker on a boat.
If you don't mind hiring a smoker--go right ahead. Maybe a nudist too--with tattoos and nose rings! Maybe a coke snorter or a rummie. It's your choice, but why the "duh" comments that disregards the choices of others who prefer not to have smokers on board??
Old 11-03-2013, 06:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery skipped wanted

Thats me screwed... I smoke..
and drink the owners rum..
Best wishes on the purchase and delivery...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I would certainly never let a smoker onto any boat I owned. No matter how careful they were there would still be the nasty smoke smell on the clothes, on the skin, and in the air they exhale, along with the ashes on deck. If someone can't be bothered to take care of their own body, could I trust them to take care of my boat ?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I would certainly never let a smoker onto any boat I owned. No matter how careful they were there would still be the nasty smoke smell on the clothes, on the skin, and in the air they exhale, along with the ashes on deck. If someone can't be bothered to take care of their own body, could I trust them to take care of my boat ?
Know how you feel mate... would not dream of letting Big Mac, KFC or Taco Bell eaters on my boat..
the stink of grease.. blotchy spotty skin..sweaty fat bodies...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:59   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Are you sure you can make her sea-ready for April if purchase is still under way? Is this a new boat?

Malta to Phuket (I assume via panam) is a long road. You do not want to go in a boat that is less than perfectly ready for the trip.

I do not smoke. ;-)

b.
Old 11-03-2013, 14:44   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailingsoon1959
Www.247sailing.com

I'd love to sail this
Old 11-03-2013, 20:19   #10

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

We don't smoke and my spouse is sensitive to smoke, but we'd likely invite a smoker on board who we knew was considerate and careful, and otherwise was a good shipmate and sailing companion.... it all just depends on the person and the circumstances. Yes, a smoker could conceivably do some damage or leave some stink behind in fabrics even if confining the smoking to the cockpit, but I think that this damage is pretty minor compared to the wear and tear and risk of bringing a small boat halfway around the world. Stuff breaks and gets worn out; I'm guessing a few months of delivery is going to be like at least a few years of normal wear and tear on cruising or day sailing boats. Compared to that, some end of voyage drape and carpet cleaning would seem inexpensive.
Old 13-03-2013, 03:45   #11

CSY there is NO smoking on my vessel or in my car or in my house..... No shoes allowed in my house or boat either! A bit of respect for other people is always appreciated. What you do in your spare time is not my issue but please have respect for others on this forum....
Old 13-03-2013, 04:05   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

As a Smoker I think it fair enuf that OP (or anyone else) can specify no smokers onboard - even if I think the effects detailed are somewhat overstated, certaintly I would choose a bit of smoke down below over projectile vomiting......both at the time and for the after effects (including the stuff you discover much later ). But I guess a YMMV kinda thing. (FWIW, me is kinda fussy on fat people onboard, and my definition of "fat" is kinda strict and that mostly to do with folks looking unsightly as well as the smell - but also because of the damage a falling one may cause to boat and myself).

In any event I guess if OP is wanting a delivery via Suez then may well find that the crew start smoking .
Old 13-03-2013, 04:10   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I'm a rabid anti-smoker, never put one in my mouth ever never. Its a disgusting habit.

As to fat, well I dont agree with that, unless its impeding ones sailing,. If we go there , where do you stop. ( tall people, short people, what underwear they wear etc etc, are they easy on the eye, etc)

Dave
Old 13-03-2013, 04:33   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'm a rabid anti-smoker, never put one in my mouth ever never. Its a disgusting habit.

As to fat, well I dont agree with that, unless its impeding ones sailing,. If we go there , where do you stop. ( tall people, short people, what underwear they wear etc etc, are they easy on the eye, etc)

Dave
IMO any of those is fair enuf ........whether that impacts on crew availability is another thing.

FWIW, I use the fat thing mostly onshore - now and again someone may say something about me smoking (usually a female ), I just make the comment that I don't criticise overweight people (on a visual pollution basis), and if she doesn't twig that I am talking about her then I make it clear with a "like you" ......women are usually insecure about their weight, no matter how skinny they are - so kinda like shootin' fish in a barrel . So far has always stopped the conversation / criticism / whining .......yeah, in real life, DOJ can often be an unpleasant sh#t, but pretty quick with it .
Old 13-03-2013, 04:53   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wings View Post
CSY there is NO smoking on my vessel or in my car or in my house..... No shoes allowed in my house or boat either! A bit of respect for other people is always appreciated. What you do in your spare time is not my issue but please have respect for others on this forum....
I do... I could have made out I don't smoke... but I fessed up in public straight off in spite of the owner already making contact by PM... knowing it would lose me potential jobs.
Funny how the smokers demand respect yet are the first to hurl out the abuse... respect works both ways... if you cannot give it don't expect it
Homeless... I'm 6ft 2in.. weigh in at 160lbs with a 30inch waist and can free dive to 15metres... used to be more but I smoke.. oh.!! and I'm 65 this year.
What state is your body that you so respect in...
Now will all you non smokers respect someone else's post n buga orf to preach elsewhere...

He needs a Skipper... stick to the Thread

Tags
delivery, wanted