Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 13:44   #1

Boat: Najad 34
Win10 update to version Creator

For info and possible advise.

Some days ago I forced my Win10 to update to version "Creator". The aim was to test certain S-63 charts.
Before the update OCPN typically used ~7% of available CPU and after the update to Creator ~40%. Zooming and mouse operations like chart moving response was incredible slow.
When network connection to my radar was initialized the CPU usage increased even more to max and sometimes OCPN halted.

Since the test was performed on my NAV-PC I've now restored to pervious version and all is back to normal.

Any hints or experiences to share? - Anyone.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 01:50   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Win10 update to version Creator

I'm running Win10 as a virtual machine and have it updated to Creator also. Without doubt Windows is getting more and more worse. But you have to know e.g. when starting Windows and seeing the Windows screen after a while Windows has not been started at all and is not ready to start any application yet. It stills runs many tasks in the background which may take up to half an hour until the system comes to idle and is ready to start an application. See the task-manager for that.

When I start OpenCPN after the system is in idle state, OpenCPN uses zero CPU time. If this display of task-manager is correct or not is however another question. Don't trust any display of Windows...

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10.png
Views:	183
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	146343  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 03:42   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I may be wrong, but my impression is that Creator is somewhat of a euphemism for "Beta". Probably a good idea not to deploy it on a PC you depend on until the bugs are ironed out.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 05:57   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Did install oeSENC charts today on a very basic 10" W10 2-1 tablet (Trekstor).

The system came last year with W10 and went through both update cycles being now a Creators's.

It has never been very snappy - and I would not expect miracles from a 200€ device neither - but we don't perceive any difference from the last W10 versions regarding performance.
A bit boring for planning when you want to pan and zoom a lot, but ok for navigation.

There is almost no other software running on the device when OCPN is live.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:37   #5

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Same type of action today. I installed eSENC cards on two different shelves. A Microsoft and a Chinese.
- The microsoft displays quickly.
- The Chinese is rather slow. And it still runs with the first version of W10! Besides that sometimes she speaks me in Chinese !!!!! Pfuuuu ...

But it works in both cases.

I also have a PC under W10 using the latest version of W10. The display of the osESENC is fast. Even a little faster than with the previous version of W10 (the update dates from April 11)

That said, I enrage by making the list of any anomalies that have arrived in my PC since this great update of W10.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:49   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks Hakan, should I turn of auto updates?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:56   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Except for Win Pro you can't "turn off" updates but you can set your internet connection to "metered". Even so, it will eventually hound you to death about doing an update.

Creator has broken some things for me. I don't see long startup times though. My Win10 boxes can do a cold start and have OpenCPN fully running in about 70 seconds. I guess running Win 10 in a virtual machine is completely not like using real hardware though.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 17:17   #8

I'm not technical enough to know how the updates affect specific systems, but there have been several news articles mentioning the buggyness of this update, e.g. http://www.pcworld.com/article/31925...t-advises.html
BlankEscutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 00:37   #9

All..
Thanks for comments.
Especially for dated PCs it may be best to await a further developed "Creator".
My experience here is from a IBM/Lenovo R61 PC. In general Win10 is not the best on adapting dated PCs. My also rather dated HP has also some "funny" behavior on Win10; the CD is ejected now and then without any actions from me.
Håkan
Old 29-04-2017, 01:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I tried 10 on an older PC that ran my nav programs fine, TZ Navigator and OpenCPN. PC is Dell about 2008 w/8gb ram, 3.4 ghz cpu.
Using 10, CPU usually ran at 99%, most of the ram with no programs running. Via MS and other help sites I got the CPU down to 80% and about half the ram with no programs running. Running anything was on the edge of crashing and often did.
That was after deleting Cortina, Microsoft snooping and as much other junk as possible. I went back to 7 which runs fine and uses about 10-20% of CPU except for peaks.
I'm currently trying Ubuntu/Zorin that works fine for simple desktop work and browsing (Firefox) but have found no add on software (like Wine) that runs PC apps I need successfully. I also have a mac.
I will never use another Microsoft OS unless they backtrack. As it is, I make it a point not to use any MS software where an alternate product is available.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 19:03   #11

Boat: none yet :(

Well, the times came when to type an email or a letter you need a quad-core 64bit processor with 8GB RAM and 300 GB hard drive, all done with a program taking up 2 GB disk space.

I am still wondering what is there in those 24 GB total size of my c:\windows folder.

As discussed on that other Windows vs Linux thread, I am increasingly using Linux for my daily stuff and feel re-born again.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 03:17   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
For info and possible advise.

Some days ago I forced my Win10 to update to version "Creator". The aim was to test certain S-63 charts.
Before the update OCPN typically used ~7% of available CPU and after the update to Creator ~40%. Zooming and mouse operations like chart moving response was incredible slow.
When network connection to my radar was initialized the CPU usage increased even more to max and sometimes OCPN halted.

Since the test was performed on my NAV-PC I've now restored to pervious version and all is back to normal.

Any hints or experiences to share? - Anyone.

Håkan
I confirm similar behaviour on my older Asus PC. OCPN used to run at 10-30 fps with Intel Express 945 graphic chips, but slowed right down to 0 fps and eventually halted after update to Creator. Obviously unusable so I have reverted and, as above, all is now well.

I think the advice to steer clear of this update for OCPN 4.6.1 is very sound.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 14:43   #13

I'm sorry. I should have known.

The problems on my Asus Eee pc and my Dell laptop are with the drivers for the Intel Mobile Express graphic chipsets 945 and 965. For reasons I cannot fathom major Windows updates, like Creators, bin the installed drivers and replace them with some useless generic software emulation.

I have reverted to the latest drivers on the Intel website (for W7) and all is now well. OCPN runs just as well as it did before. If you don't have these graphic chips Creators update is probably OK.
Old 16-06-2017, 14:54   #14

I'm sorry.

The problems on my Asus and my Dell laptop are with the drivers for the Intel Mobile Express graphic chipsets 945 and 965. For reasons I cannot fathom major Windows updates, like Creators, bin the installed drivers and revert to some useless generic software emulation.

I have reverted to the latest drivers on the Intel website (for W7) and OCPN now runs fine. If you don't have these graphics chips Creators is probably OK.
Old 17-06-2017, 07:58   #15

hoolie...
Thanks for the report. For the Intel..........945 and 965 it's a good advice. I've earlier run into the same problem so after installation of the Win7 driver I raised Win10 to never update the graphic card driver. Hopefully that setting was valid also for the Creator update, but ---- I didn't check. Some day the Creator update will be forced so I've to check it then. But it will hopefully take some time since that PC is normally not connected to Internet. OCPN updates are done via a USB stick or a local network to another PC.

Håkan