Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 12:27   #31

Re: Win10 update to version Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Paul,

This is good information. It helps identify the conditions. I think it still has to do with the event queue getting flooded. I think navigate to hear causes a stream of events to be created providing XTE information.
Here is a screenshot. Checkmarks for Serial and Network "Connections" were removed before this run. "Navigate to Here" activated. "Close" activated from "X" in top-right corner. Chart Canvas has diagonal hatching, but OpenCPN is not closing. Task Manager (with "Always on top" Option) shows CPU, Memory, Disk and Network usage with the totals for the computer on the column headings and for the Chart Plotter and Navigator (OpenCPN) on the highlighted line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_NavToHere_TaskMgr.png
Views:	105
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	153070

The CPU seems to be lightly loaded.

I used Alt to display the Menu bar, and a second Alt closed the program.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 14:37   #32

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
You might want to read the sources a little bit. This code change is part of the function "MyApp::OnExit()" and therefor seems to be the reason for the hang. In no way "It just uninstalls the crash reporter program before installing a new version."

Gerhard
Gerhard,

I looked at the code in question. When O does not close it never reaches the function MyApp::OnExit(). If it ever does get to that function it always closes quickly.

It seems something is posting lots of events to the app event queue. The OnCloseWindow() function in chart1.cpp wants the event queue to empty because it would like to save the last known ship's coordinate and make sure the display is updated before closing down the window. But for some users the event queue never gets empty. There is always another event to process thus the call to Yield() does not return. That prevents the program feom ever reaching OnExit().
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 17:10   #33
Marine Service Provider

Dan...

Reading the code again....

The last wxYield() call is there to allow the last screen repaint to occur, which gives us the useful diagonal hash overlay, and a possible text message in OpenGL mode.

But actually, in modern wxWidgets, the sequence:

Code:
   cc1->Refresh( true );
    cc1->Update();
gives us the same effect, without involving the message queue. The screen repaint is done inline, and will definitely return.

So, bottom line, it seems safe to simply delete the offending wxYield() call at this point, and let the chips fall where they may.

Would doing this resolve the issue for your specific reproducible configuration?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 17:25   #34

Dave,

I will test with your suggestion.

I have a branch (ShutdownFix) in my fork that closes properly in my test scenario whereas the master branch does not. I did not remove the Yield() calls.
Old 30-07-2017, 18:12   #35

Dave,

In all test cases O closes with the wxYield() at line 3457 of chart1.cpp commented out. It would not close in my test cases with that line active.

I also see briefly the hatched chart viewport so that is working as you described.

I think this is the best fix.

Dan
Old 30-07-2017, 18:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Dan...

Reading the code again....

The last wxYield() call is there to allow the last screen repaint to occur, which gives us the useful diagonal hash overlay, and a possible text message in OpenGL mode.

But actually, in modern wxWidgets, the sequence:

Code:
   cc1->Refresh( true );
    cc1->Update();
gives us the same effect, without involving the message queue. The screen repaint is done inline, and will definitely return.

So, bottom line, it seems safe to simply delete the offending wxYield() call at this point, and let the chips fall where they may.

Would doing this resolve the issue for your specific reproducible configuration?

Dave
Dave, Dan,

I just changed the "wxYield()" at line 3457 of chart1.cpp to a comment in my clone of the source and built the setup package for Windows. Installed same.

I have tested the cases that I listed in previous posts to this thread where OpenCPN under Win 10 Creators Update would not Close. All of these cases Close using the usual "click on X in the top left corner".

There is a slight delay of one or two seconds with the spinning disk after clicking on the "X" before the diagonal hatching appears and the window closes. Sometimes I did not see the hatching.

Paul
Old 30-07-2017, 20:41   #37
Marine Service Provider

Paul...

Thanks for the report. I think we are getting a handle on this one.

The hash screen will not last long unless the background threads doing raster chart compression/caching are busy, and take some time to settle down. On a mature system, this will be rare.

Theoretically, we could move the screen update for the hashes earlier, so that there is immediate feedback to the user that "Close" has started. Might be worth some experimentation.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 02:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Paul...

Theoretically, we could move the screen update for the hashes earlier, so that there is immediate feedback to the user that "Close" has started. Might be worth some experimentation.

Dave
I think it is good enough as is (with the one "wxYield()" removed). The busy cursor is enough feedback.

Paul
Old 31-07-2017, 05:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Paul. View Post
I think it is good enough as is (with the one "wxYield()" removed). The busy cursor is enough feedback.

Paul
I agree with Paul. There is enough feedback. Deleting the call to wxYield() is a good solution.

But i predict this issue will arise again someday. I don't like not understanding the root cause. Something is putting events into the queue such that it never empties for some users but obviously not others. It seems to be related to NMEA mux and/or OpenGL on Windows 10 with recent updates.

I am beginning to wonder it it is some kind of hard to trigger bug in wx 3.0.
Old 31-07-2017, 07:12   #40

Has there ever been a Windows update that actually made your computer run better? I can't recall one.
Old 31-07-2017, 09:24   #41

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Has there ever been a Windows update that actually made your computer run better? I can't recall one.
But you might recall it is always getting more and more worse...

It seems to be the destiny of any software. Even Mac OSX has seen better days and sadly OpenCPN takes the same way.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:29   #42

Boat: Najad 34

My view:
Win10 is better and better, soon comparable to XP, and update to Creator is working great on my dated HP. O is opened faster then ever and closing slightly faster than before!
OpenCPN is really better and better, where possible, and is still the best navigation program available for PC and Android.

And the community represented on this forum is so great taking care of every problem coming up. Mostly in a friendly manner and all can contribute and are welcome whatever manner showing up. (Hopefully also my weird English? )

Thanks all/ Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:29   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
But you might recall it is always getting more and more worse...

It seems to be the destiny of any software. Even Mac OSX has seen better days and sadly OpenCPN takes the same way.

Gerhard
My Windows computer and my Apple Ipad, both run slower after every update. I just fear the update that finally makes them stop all together.