Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 14:46   #1126
Marine Service Provider

Re: WeatherFax ...

A good place to start: https://github.com/rgleason?tab=repositories

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUR450502 View Post
.... hi Petter,

thanks a lot for your fast reply - meantime it is bedtime, isn't it for you as well??

However, I did all this already (sudo .... update & sudo ... upgrade) I am definitely on the latest level. I am running RaspbianStretch and used XENIAL - this is all working fine. And of course - after installation of OpenCPN I did - again the update/upgrade stuff and it tells me, there is nothing to update/upgrade.... OK??

Best regards, Uwe
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 14:58   #1127

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

Hi Petter,

this looks like an interesting place - definitely.... However, I go to sleep now (you should as well, Midnight Sun is still some months away.... )

Something to read and experiment with (I am not really a computer illiterate, but this stuff is new for me. Let's see .... )

Thanks a lot again and I will come back, when I have results (or new questions?? - Which is more likely I suspect ....).

Best regards,

Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 17:00   #1128

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Changes afoot at NOAA for Weather Charts.
Changes to NOAA marine products effective March 7th, 2018
According to Lee Chesneau, The changes will not be helpful.

Write your congressman or Ben Friedman (see Lee's article).
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:49   #1129

Boat: Passport 40

I downloaded 1.7 and 1.8 (from github) but cannot run after compiling with either or the "latest release (whichever it is)" from the main trunk in github.

I have tried the rgleason repository and the original one.

This is on OS X 10.13.4 with OpenCPN 4.8.4

All portaudio libs, wxmac, etc have been installed with homebrew

I get the following at runtime:

11:45:43 CDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/weatherfax_pi/libweatherfax_pi.dylib
11:45:43 CDT: Error: dlopen(/Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/weatherfax_pi/libweatherfax_pi.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: _wxTheAssertHandler
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/weatherfax_pi/libweatherfax_pi.dylib
Expected in: flat namespace
in /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/weatherfax_pi/libweatherfax_pi.dylib
11:45:43 CDT: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/weatherfax_pi/libweatherfax_pi.dylib
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 10:17   #1130

Boat: Phantom 19

I'm afraid you can't use your libs built against wxmac (at least not without knowing what you do exactly and rebuild it from source) with official OpenCPN builds as they use build configuration compatible all the way back to OS X 10.7 - The instructions from https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...elopment_tools apply also to the plugins.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 19:04   #1131

Gaucho, my repository follows sean's. I am compiling for windows.
Old 22-05-2018, 19:59   #1132

I will try what nohal suggested. Makes a lot of sense
Old 23-05-2018, 18:12   #1133

Just wanted to let you know after many ups and downs, I ended up being able to compile wxWidgets 3.0.4 with the proper parameters, and then able to compile WeatherFax Plugin 1.8 without a hitch on OS X 10.13.

A few caveats (and they are not that evident really), of course what was mentioned previously in the thread (building with the OS 10.7 settings).

Things I learned when building on OS X:

- If you follow the instructions here

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...elopment_tools

There are two sets of instructions on that Wiki page. The first one (--withoutsubdirs and make -j2) will NOT work. It will not build wxrc and that will begin a whole lot of problems.

You need to use the bottom instructions (all the way down on the page).

- When it comes to compiling the plugin, make sure you have:

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7

Well, Im now a happy WeatherFax 1.8 (vs 1.5) and with great working XMLs. I think now that im properly setup, Im ready to start upgrading other plugins.

Thanks for your help.
Old 23-05-2018, 18:25   #1134

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Just wanted to let you know after many ups and downs, I ended up being able to compile wxWidgets 3.0.4 with the proper parameters, and then able to compile WeatherFax Plugin 1.8 without a hitch on OS X 10.13.

A few caveats (and they are not that evident really), of course what was mentioned previously in the thread (building with the OS 10.7 settings).

There are two sets of instructions on that Wiki page. The first one (--withoutsubdirs and make -j2) will NOT work. It will not build wxrc and that will begin a whole lot of problems.

Well, Im now a happy WeatherFax 1.8 (vs 1.5) and with great working XMLs. I think now that im properly setup, Im ready to start upgrading other plugins.

Thanks for your help.
The first part of the instructions is for the current master branch code (which switched to wx 3.1, libc++ and C++ 11 and that, not wxrc which we do not use, caused your problems).
If you want to build for 4.8.x compatibility, you have to skip to the end of the page, as the first sentence on the page explains you. But you already know that now...
Just don't forget to use the first part of the page next time when you switch to the beta or OpenCPN 5 release.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:46   #1135

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Cool! Congrats.

Are you willing to share? My hardcore programming skills are about 20 years old and most recently have been limited to HTML (if you call that programming). I'll eventually get there, but until then, I'm grateful for an Mac users who want to share. I've just begun looking at what it takes to compile Mac install pkgs.

Steve
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 15:23   #1136

gaucho and nereus32 if you want to be made manager/editors of the wiki send me a PM. You can then help add MAC pointers to the documentation, (I did italicize several points in the instructions to help highlight, but it seemed clear to me).
Old 24-05-2018, 16:13   #1137

rgleason:

Im happy to help out with what Ive learned. But I am far from really knowledgeable in the area. Let's say Im just stubborn

Maybe I can do a tidbit on how to compile plugins in OS X?

The instructions are clear, it's just that like always, there are caveats and it's not specifically aimed at compiling plugins. I guess that's what could be confusing.

Again, Im no programmer either, I just now how to run a makefile, use homebrew and find my way in bash.

Will send a PM regarding the packages to Nereus32
Old 24-05-2018, 19:31   #1138

Your input would certainly help. I'd like to suggest that you be an editor and simply write a step by step for compiling MAC plugins. I can make you a separate page to make starting easier. Just click on my Icon in the upper left to PM me and include your email please. The PW will be sent to you that way.

Quote:
rgleason:

Im happy to help out with what Ive learned. But I am far from really knowledgeable in the area. Let's say Im just stubborn

Maybe I can do a tidbit on how to compile plugins in OS X?

The instructions are clear, it's just that like always, there are caveats and it's not specifically aimed at compiling plugins. I guess that's what could be confusing.

Again, Im no programmer either, I just now how to run a makefile, use homebrew and find my way in bash.

Will send a PM regarding the packages to Nereus32
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25   #1139

Sean has updated Weatherfax 1.8.200e for Windows Opencpn 4.8.4 and 4.8.6
Old 08-09-2018, 09:56   #1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sean has updated Weatherfax 1.8.200e for Windows Opencpn 4.8.4 and 4.8.6
Many thanks for this update! I have used the Audio Capture option both manual and automatic, and the results are very clean - images from Northwood and Offenbach have very little noise or interference on them. I adjusted the frequencies which worked on fldigi and the 1900 value to 1500 in the Carrier box, but I'm sure the improvement in image quality is due more to the plugin filters than the frequency tuning. The phasing and skew controls are very responsive. I have been unable to save the image immediately following capture, so as to defer the morphing process to a more convenient time. However it does work after morphing, and polar images fit the mercator charts precisely. The value 128 in the Image Correction box may be related to the image looking elongated before morphing, but the process still works with no adjustment here.

As to saving, if a series of images are scheduled for capture, are these saved individually for later morhping?

Before installing this version I uninstalled the previous one, and removed the external command instructions from opencpn.ini. However "arecord" and "rtl_fm | sox" still appear as options under HF Radio Schedule Capture Options. Is there a particular folder into which rtl_fm & sox need to be installed in Windows, or could SDR# | VAC be used here?

The Decoder Options has a box with 9108000 entered but greyed out. I take it this is a Boston Wefax frequency. Can this be changed?
After learning that a coastguard radio station on the southwest coast of Ireland could pick up Boston, I did succeed capturing a poor image from there on 9mhz on an early afternoon last month. However the HF propagation app VOACAP indicates the optimum time and frequency should be an unearthly hour of the morning my local time and on 6mhz. So is it intended that the plugin scans each of the frequencies listed against a particular station in the schedule, and tuning to the best one? The Boston forecasts for the North Atlantic with the wind barbs are a better implementation than this side of the pond.
Maelruan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle