Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 18:35   #1

Boat: Duncanson 29
Harken MKIV furler torque tube

Hi, my Harken MKIV furler jammed, and upon inspection one ball plug had disappeared and ball bearings were falling out. Harken say to lift the torque tube up to reduce pressure on the drum, but I cannot get any info on what exactly the torque tube is. I would like to be 100% certain of what I am releasing before getting started. I suspect from other posts here that I may find the screws corroded in and ready to strip if I unscrew them.

Any suggestions, or hopefully photos ?

Fanks
Les Fairwind
Les Fairwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 20:04   #2

Re: Harken MKIV furler torque tube

I had a Harken furler, but not sure what model number. I would think that the "torque tube" is the tube that connects the furler drum to headsail foil. It should be about 2" in diameter and maybe 2' long and covers the forestay turnbuckle inside the tube. Mine was fastened at the upper end to the headfoil with a couple of grub screws and at the bottom to the drum with set screws. It would jam when the head foil slipped down the torque tube and fouled on the forestay turnbuckle inside the tube. I eventually replaced the grub screws with a through bolt that prevented the head foil from slipping down inside the torque tube. Hope that helps.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 23:02   #3

Boat: Duncanson 29
Re: Harken MKIV furler torque tube

Thanks,
Yes sounds right, cannot get definitive answer from Harken, only see 2 screws on the manual, nothing about the tube itself. I also see a 'torque tube clamp' with four screws, but once started I don't want to screw it up and have to get more parts.

90% planning, 10% execution . . . where possible
Les Fairwind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, Harken