Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 14:19   #46

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Watchdog Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Hakan,

I think I understand your problem. So the cursor is actually outside the opencpn window? In that case we can modify opencpn to not emit cursor positions as it makes little sense anyway.
Yes, I think so to. Can't imaging any situation when we should need the position where the cursor left O screen in F2 mode specifically.
Quote:
Otherwise, what about the case in auto follow mode where the cursor is in the window?
That would be the same as non-F2 mode today. I'm moving the mouse inside O charts.

Quote:
Maybe we can just see if this routine is called at least twice in less than a second which would possibly work.
But if the boat moves fast in small scale then are the charts moving rapidly, but maybe not that fast?
Quote:
Or we could query the actual screen coordinates of the cursor. What do you think?
Seems, for me, complicated? Then you must ask O for its window size and then check if the cursor is outside that?

A totally other solution would be I have to press a button for timer reset instead of check for cursor movements. For me that would be perfectly OK, it's like my egg clock today. But if that should fit you or other I don't know. Maybe, as usual , two options for timer reset, cursor movements exactly as today, or a click button is the simplest solution?

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 16:27   #47

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean and Hakan,

I am not getting any alarms with watchdog.
Anchor (no alarm when I move boat beyond the distance.
Deadman ( let time run out to 2:30 min and there is no alarm.
Boundary (once the guid is found and I move the boat out of the inclusive boundary nothing changes, still shows "anchor inside xxx id"
NMEA ( No nmea being sent, no alarm.)

The TEST sound works.
I have compiled with a recent opencpn.lib.

Can you please advise?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 22:07   #48

who may be able to understand why the localization does not work even with revisions under the new line of code!
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:30   #49

Redarding the alarms. They now work. The problem was not uninstalling first particularly while the plugin was underI development. The opencpn.ini did not has necessary settings.

Also reported this under ocpn_draw thread.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:17   #50

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Redarding the alarms. They now work. The problem was not uninstalling first particularly while the plugin was underI development. The opencpn.ini did not has necessary settings.

Also reported this under ocpn_draw thread.
But the alarms do not work on the initial install.

I needed to disable, then re-enable them to make it work.

I think there is a little bug here.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55   #51

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
But the alarms do not work on the initial install.

I needed to disable, then re-enable them to make it work.

I think there is a little bug here.

Cheers,
JM.
You can recreate the problem by:
- deleting opencpn/Opencpn.ini
- deleting opencpn/plugins/watchdog/watchdogconfiguration.xml
- run opencpn
- enable watchdog plugin
- configure a 1min. deadman timeout
- wait a min.
- NO ALARM!

To activate the alarm:
-enter watchdog configuration
- in the general setup, click the radio button "Disable All Alarms"
- in the general setup, click the radio button "Enable All Alarms"
-Click OK
-wait a min.
-ALARM !

Some simple bug I'm sure.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:50   #52

JM, Thank you for finding that problem. I hope Sean can fix it. Perhaps you could make a Tracker entry under watchdog_pi so that it is not missed?

I have uploaded some more watchdog voice warnings from a contributor to Open Beta File Thingie under directory Watchdog Warnings.
Also I have removed directory Sounds and moved the YYY and UUU morse sounds to Watchdog Warnings directory.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:53   #53

In another thread Sean said he would investigate this:

Quote:
"Enable All Alarms" radio button is on by default after installation, but it appears that the alarms aren't really enabled until that setting is changed;
I changed it from "Enable All Alarms" to "Disable All Alarms" then back to "Enable All Alarms" and that seemed to actually enable the alarms.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:37   #54

Boat: Oyster 66

A key thing when the SHTF is to quickly deal with the problem. Seconds count. I think the watchdog plugin is a great feature, nearly complete.

I am looking for a way of getting all my alarms centralized and to have them call out the alarm with a verbal warning to give the quickest possible alert and diagnosis of an emergency. With so many possible alarm states it will take a bit to work out if it something that can wait 1 minute or if it can't wait a second. If asleep then quick diagnosis matters even more. A MOB or fire alarm vs a landfall alarm for example will demand a very different response. This plugin looks great as a way to achieve that. I have to simply record the right verbal alarm message "ENGINE FIRE" (shrill rousing voice) for example, but there are a few issues:

First one is the main OpenCPN alarms only have one sound linked to them. It would also be useful to bring them into this plugin or modify the main program and alert with verbal messages specific to the alarm such AIS CPA or proximity and radar alarms, in the same way off course or depth for example can have their own sound warning files.

Second, I would like to have introduced a number of new alarms in addition to what are provided in the plugin. This could be done with the NMEA input, but there is only one alarm sound for all NMEA alarms and I think it would be much better to have a verbal message for each one such as "SMOKE ALARM", "ENGINE FIRE", "HIGH BILGE WATER" "ENGINE OVERHEAT" etc. That would require a decode of the NMEA input to activate a corresponding sound file.

Third, there is the issue of how to get switch or sensor inputs into NMEA messages and then to get those messages into OpenCPN. I found an interface unit that might be suitable for converting switches or sensors into NMEA and would be useful if the program were able to alert to each specific alarm sensor:
SeaGauge - Digital Marine Gauges
Would this be any good, or is there a better way of doing this?

I hope this is the right place to post this message, if not can it be moved to the feature request section?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:05   #55

Poiu, It is the right place to post, because this is a discussion place. Then you will need to post the well (or better formed results or conclusions) in the form of a Feature Request on Tracker under the project "pi-Watchdog".

You have three main requests.

Quote:
1. OpenCPN alarms - Improve alerting with verbal messages or expose to Watchdog - AIS CPA, AIS proximity, Radar alarms, Depth
Can you help by making a comprehensive list of all the possible Opencpn Alarms that are available that might be useful to someone.

Quote:
2. Nmea has just one alarm for all Nmea alarms. - Distinguish between different Nmea sounds to provide verbal alerts for each. Have a verbal message for each one: "SMOKE ALARM", "ENGINE FIRE", "HIGH BILGE WATER" "ENGINE OVERHEAT" etc. That would require a decode of the NMEA input to activate a corresponding sound file.
This is getting pretty technical. You may be asking to extend Nmea data into new areas, with new sentences. I suggest you read up on Signal K too to formulate what can be done, and what is the best way to do it.

Quote:
3. How to get switch or sensor inputs into NMEA messages and then to get those messages into OpenCPN. Possibility SeaGauge - Digital Marine Gauges ...better way of doing this?
Again take a look at Signal K. Also Arduino may be a way to accomplish some of the hardware/software.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:48   #56

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Hi all,

In response to Rick's request for volunteers I have just made my first attempt to a contribution for the Watchdog-Plugin documentation. If you think it's too extensive or for other reasons not suitable for the website, feel free to delete or alter.

Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 13:05   #57

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
A key thing when the SHTF is to quickly deal with the problem. Seconds count. I think the watchdog plugin is a great feature, nearly complete.

I am looking for a way of getting all my alarms centralized and to have them call out the alarm with a verbal warning to give the quickest possible alert and diagnosis of an emergency. With so many possible alarm states it
This is why I changed the design (making it somewhat more complicated) to allow for multiple alarms of the same type, but with different parameters and alarms.
Quote:
will take a bit to work out if it something that can wait 1 minute or if it can't wait a second. If asleep then quick diagnosis matters even more. A MOB or fire alarm vs a landfall alarm for example will demand a very different response. This plugin looks great as a way to achieve that. I have to simply record the right verbal alarm message "ENGINE FIRE" (shrill rousing voice) for example, but there are a few issues:

First one is the main OpenCPN alarms only have one sound linked to them. It would also be useful to bring them into this plugin or modify the main program and alert with verbal messages specific to the alarm such AIS CPA or proximity and radar alarms, in the same way off course or depth for example can have their own sound warning files.
Maybe ais or radar could be possible to integrate.

Quote:
Second, I would like to have introduced a number of new alarms in addition to what are provided in the plugin. This could be done with the NMEA input, but there is only one alarm sound for all NMEA alarms and I think it would be much better to have a verbal message for each one such as "SMOKE ALARM", "ENGINE FIRE", "HIGH BILGE WATER" "ENGINE OVERHEAT" etc. That would require a decode of the NMEA input to activate a corresponding sound file.
Ok... no problem, but I personally don't have any sensors for any of the alarms you have listed so I have no idea how to implement them.
Quote:
Third, there is the issue of how to get switch or sensor inputs into NMEA messages and then to get those messages into OpenCPN. I found an interface unit that might be suitable for converting switches or sensors into NMEA and would be useful if the program were able to alert to each specific alarm sensor:
SeaGauge - Digital Marine Gauges
Would this be any good, or is there a better way of doing this?

I hope this is the right place to post this message, if not can it be moved to the feature request section?
I don't think it must be nmea or not. Maybe nmea is convenient. In fact there just needs to be a way to get the plugin to know if the alarm is triggered or not. I would need such hardware to implement this function, but anyone else can do it.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:06   #58

Boat: Najad 34

Idea or lose thoughts:
"SeaGauge-Remote
mounts out of the way and sends instrumentation data in NMEA 0183 $IIXDR format via built-in serial ports."

You can use the XDR to trigger alarms. I suppose there are a common way to use XDR for different data. If you make Watchman to alert for a couple specific XDR sentences one can use NMEA-converter plugin to fit whatever comes in from the gadget??

Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:19   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Poiu, It is the right place to post, because this is a discussion place. Then you will need to post the well (or better formed results or conclusions) in the form of a Feature Request on Tracker under the project "pi-Watchdog".

You have three main requests.

Can you help by making a comprehensive list of all the possible Opencpn Alarms that are available that might be useful to someone.

This is getting pretty technical. You may be asking to extend Nmea data into new areas, with new sentences. I suggest you read up on Signal K too to formulate what can be done, and what is the best way to do it.

Again take a look at Signal K. Also Arduino may be a way to accomplish some of the hardware/software.
I can have a go at a list of alarms I think people will find important:

AIS CPA/TCPA
Radar guard zone
Radar CPA/TCPA
MOB
Anchor
Landfall (can include in parameters a definition for land as being water less than x metres).
Wind
Overspeed
Underspeed
Off Course
Deadman
NMEA data:
Engine Fire
Smoke
Carbon monoxide
High bilge water
Coolant overheat
Exhaust overheat
Low fuel
Low battery
Intruder
Low beer keg
etc

The thing with the NMEA alarms is it should be possible for the user to configure the alarm sounds and alerts by picking an unused NMEA code, of which there are very many, or configuring a new code and assigning it to a warning of their choice, so there is no limit to the number or variety of alarms people can have. The software will need to match the user set code with what it decodes from the NMEA buffer to trigger the corresponding alarm.

I am sure an Arduino device could be made to do this job, or a Signal K code could be used instead of or as well as the NMEA codes.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:44   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Ok... no problem, but I personally don't have any sensors for any of the alarms you have listed so I have no idea how to implement them.
I have the sensors, which are basic on/off zero voltage switches essentially. The bilge alarm is a simple switch, the other alarms are zero voltage relay contacts. The interface to turn those outputs into NMEA is the bit I don't have, and I suspect could be done by the SeaGauge device. I would buy something like it if I knew I could do something more useful with the NMEA output, like activate a more purposeful verbal warning, that I could distribute using speakers throughout the boat and on-deck.

Quote:
I don't think it must be nmea or not. Maybe nmea is convenient. In fact there just needs to be a way to get the plugin to know if the alarm is triggered or not. I would need such hardware to implement this function, but anyone else can do it.
Absolutely, there are many ways to do this, it just seemed to me with the NMEA alarm function already pretty much done, it would be easiest this way to improve it a bit.

Tags
plug