Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2024, 13:23   #1

touch screen works better on BBN compared with vanilla O

Hello
Out of curiosity I just had a quick try of BBN, not that it is for me but I am interested in how the touch screen input is set up as, for instance, the measure tool is more usable without a mouse in the BBN version of O. (A click adds a measure point but one can still scroll the chart.) Does anybody know how this is achieved? I suspect it might be an X11 setting rather than anything within OpenCPN. I have a really cheap touch screen which is great but it's hard without a mouse. If I could just improve it a little bit that would be great. Is there a thread that discusses this?
jimseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2024, 13:33   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: touch screen works better on BBN compared with vanilla O

Citing the BBN OS author "In BBN OS it’s done via additional user space drivers with evdev and libinput to recognize gestures and translate them into mouse events."
The version of OpenCPN he distributes is not changed in any way.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2024, 14:06   #3

Yes. I thought it was stock OpenCPN. It's just a small thing but I can see that it would be really useful. Is it something worth discussing on this forum or is there not enough interest? It's probably a bit beyond me on my own.
Old 14-03-2024, 14:14   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

I don't know if there is anything to discuss, how he does it you can see at https://github.com/bareboat-necessities/lysmarine_gen
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2024, 15:21   #5

Really I'm asking if there is a discussion to be had about how to make OpenCPN work better without a mouse, but if it's just me then no worries. I would have thought that given the low cost of touch screens nowadays there would be something to talk about and I'm not currently interested in a whole BBN setup.
Old 14-03-2024, 16:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimseng View Post
Really I'm asking if there is a discussion to be had about how to make OpenCPN work better without a mouse, but if it's just me then no worries. I would have thought that given the low cost of touch screens nowadays there would be something to talk about and I'm not currently interested in a whole BBN setup.
There are two images of BBN OS: Lite and Full.
Did you download Lite version?
Lite is really small with bare necessities.
Full is bareboat necessities.
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen, work