Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 08:12   #121

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Re: Sean's Optimum Branch Merge

Let me briefly voice my concern. I definitely welcomed the availibity of W beta 1715. Using my spare time, I stressed it as best I could. But it appears that no other report from the very large base of W users has been forthcoming.
Will the next release be up to standard if not thoroughly tested by a large number of beta users ?
O has got to a point where most users are satisfied the way it is, and I fear that they will not bother to upgrade (let's call it the XP syndrom). This will lead to a heterogeneous base of users...
Maybe efforts should be made to involve a larger number of W users (the vast majority of actual users), eg. by opening a not too technical thread urging non technie users to test all these new betas...
Ordinary users are expecting O to be without bugs, and they must not be disapointed
Well enuf said...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 08:28   #122

Boat: Najad 34

The small zoom steps using the "Ctrl" key is now gone. We are now using Sean's stepping method by ZoomCanvas( 2.0 ) or ZoomCanvas( 0.5 ) instead. What about make that sensitive for the wxMOD_CONTROL key again and then make the steps 1.5/0.75?
Håkan

Edit: Sorry, should have locked further. It's changed to Alt-key instead of Ctrl -- that's OK.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 17:24   #123
Marine Service Provider

SailorF54...

Well said.
The next major Release of O must not be a "Vista" experience.

Please keep in mind that this thread, and the merged optimum builds, are something between an Alpha and a Beta. We are fussing with basic build issues, first-order driver compatibility tests, and performance measurements. The level of "to-ing" and "fro-ing" about features and other issues is about normal for a project of this complexity in the industry, and does not worry me.

We shall soon be ready for an official Beta release of the merged optimum code base. At that time, we can expect a broader test base, and try to drive out any lingering regression issues. This will not be a short process (one hopes), and the resulting Production release will meet our stability standards.

Thanks for your concerns and comments.
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 22:05   #124

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Sean, delayed... sorry no usable wifi in the latest harbours.
No I can't verify, well I could by reinstall earlier versions or learn to use Git-bisect, but the Git pull from yesterday is better. I can still get the example back but it's only in one zoom level. And the collection of raster charts at the actual location is not easy. There are two specials covering the same area and using the same scale. The are a couple of detailed charts partly covering the specials area and at least two overviews also covering the same area. Two complete this CM93 is involved as well. So I would say OCPN is excused for the confusion. I suggest we leave this?
Håkan
Hakan,

If you think there is a bug and want to get it fixed, please let us know if the older beta also had this bug. If it didn't, I really want to know which commit broke it, and why. Git bisect makes this easy. I believe you are using swedish raster charts? Since I do not have these charts I cannot reproduce your test case.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 22:13   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Thxs for the dope... (you seem like a father waiting at the door of the maternity ward )

Although routes display is fine, dropping marks and displaying waypoints are NOT (black background)
Could you post your opencpn.log? Specifically the part about the the renderer used? This is probably something to do with the texture environment mode, but possibly because alpha blending is somehow disabled. What happens when you drag the marks around?
Old 19-05-2014, 23:26   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Could you post your opencpn.log? Specifically the part about the the renderer used? This is probably something to do with the texture environment mode, but possibly because alpha blending is somehow disabled. What happens when you drag the marks around?
Here you are
Mouse Draging of mark: image 1 > image 2 (nothing to note)
oGL Settings: image 3
O log for this run (remove .doc)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	81612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	81613  

Name:	Image003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	81614  
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (5.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 20-05-2014, 00:33   #127
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
SailorF54...

We shall soon be ready for an official Beta release of the merged optimum code base. At that time, we can expect a broader test base, and try to drive out any lingering regression issues. This will not be a short process (one hopes), and the resulting Production release will meet our stability standards.

Thanks for your concerns and comments.
Dave
Dave,

this implies that stuff as the S-63 plug-in has to stay in Beta as well, I understand.
We have right now about ten users with "real charts" - hopefully using those for navigation as well. And we hope to see more for the summer season.

Following your comments I expect the next Beta with the Optimum to carry more "surprises" than the actual 3.3.1606, so less recommendable for navigation.
Your thoughts?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 00:41   #128

Route bug report.
Win32 Beta 1715 pulled May 18.
Scenario:
-Start "Navigate to here".
-Grab mark 002 with the mouse and move it to a position that makes the route distance longer than before.
-The route is deleted. (In 1713 OCPN crashed)
Håkan
Old 20-05-2014, 01:28   #129

Quote:
Here you are
Mouse Draging of mark: image 1 > image 2 (nothing to note)
oGL Settings: image 3
O log for this run (remove .doc)
You might try the updated installer. It is a bit smaller, installer languages work, and the dashboard should work. Also I built an installer for the s63 plugin that may work.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope..._experimental/

To find the cause of the strange anomaly with the waypoints is difficult unless you compile from source, but you could revert 564d8369c5067e754a5facba667a0185c63e937d
or possibly just try version 3.3.1713 and see if there is any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Route bug report.
Scenario:
-Grab mark 002 with the mouse and move it to a position that makes the route distance longer than before.
Håkan
This also is a bug in 3.3.1606, so not new to optimum changes, but a valid bug nonetheless.
Old 20-05-2014, 02:27   #130

Quote:
You might try the updated installer. It is a bit smaller, installer languages work, and the dashboard should work. Also I built an installer for the s63 plugin that may work.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope..._experimental/

To find the cause of the strange anomaly with the waypoints is difficult unless you compile from source, but you could revert 564d8369c5067e754a5facba667a0185c63e937d
or possibly just try version 3.3.1713 and see if there is any difference.

This also is a bug in 3.3.1606, so not new to optimum changes, but a valid bug nonetheless.
Thxs

1 - Waypoint black background. I've found that it only affects the set of .xpm marks, not the ones bundled (I think) with O. Here is an example

2 - Dashboard is OK now

3 - S63s open fine. I had a single crash with on the fly building (that is when panning the background charts) - End of log

4 - There is a problem with accented letters (i.e é) on S63 that was not present on 1606, there but unnoticed on 1710...

5 - Installer still displays a blank page for French, but also English now (see pic). This does not occur when attempting to reinstall (pic)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	106
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	81617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image005.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	81618  

Views:	122
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	81619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image003.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	81620  

Name:	Image004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	81621  
Attached Files
File Type: doc XRed.xpm.doc (1.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: doc Crash.txt.doc (1.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 20-05-2014, 02:51   #131

BTW, using smooth panning/zooming, starting with the the mouse wheel, there does not seem to be a way to stop zooming up or down to the largest (scale may hit 0, then crash) / smallest scale: right or left click, ESC...; turning the wheel only reverses the direction...
Old 20-05-2014, 03:07   #132

Quote:
Thxs

1 - Waypoint black background. I've found that it only affects the set of .xpm marks, not the ones bundled (I think) with O. Here is an example
How do you use use this xpm mark? Sorry I don't realize how you configured to use the ones not bundled with O.
Quote:

3 - S63s open fine. I had a single crash with on the fly building (that is when panning the background charts) - End of log
Is this crash repeatable?
Quote:
4 - There is a problem with accented letters (i.e é) on S63 that was not present on 1606, there but unnoticed on 1710...
This is a good one to report. I think we can fix it, it's because this character is not in the font.
Quote:
5 - Installer still displays a blank page for French, but also English now (see pic). This does not occur when attempting to reinstall (pic)
Very strange.. and the uninstaller works? So if you install, then uninstall, then run the installer it is always blank?
Quote:
BTW, using smooth panning/zooming, starting with the the mouse wheel, there does not seem to be a way to stop zooming up or down to the largest (scale may hit 0, then crash) / smallest scale: right or left click, ESC...; turning the wheel only reverses the direction...
I don't really understand what you are saying here, besides that it crashed. do you turn the wheel many ticks at once to make it do this? one tick should zoom a little then stop.
Old 20-05-2014, 03:59   #133

Quote:
How do you use use this xpm mark? Sorry I don't realize how you configured to use the ones not bundled with O.
-------------
Creating a UserIcons folder in the O ProgramData folder (see pic). I THINK that .xpm is now deprecated, but I am too lazy to create a new set ;-)

-------------
Is this crash repeatable?
No, a single instance
I deleted all traces of my S63. Went the whole woodo of installing those charts anew. It seems I have to built them from the O toolbox for them to be dispayed... (the case when building of the fly is done is not clear to me)

This is a good one to report. I think we can fix it, it's because this character is not in the font.

Very strange.. and the uninstaller works? So if you install, then uninstall, then run the installer it is always blank?
Had another try to make sure. I uninstalled 1715 (note this a parallel install with 1606), cleaned the registers... reinstalled it: blank page in French and English. Attempting to reinstall it (now it is already there), this page is displayed.

I don't really understand what you are saying here, besides that it crashed. do you turn the wheel many ticks at once to make it do this? one tick should zoom a little then stop.
Problem could be the setting of my wheel (see pic, sorry it's a French system): one tick translates into a block of 4 lines (my setting for reading .pdf...)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	116
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	81624   Click image for larger version

Views:	106
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	81625  

Old 20-05-2014, 05:05   #134

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Win32 Beta 1715 pulled May 20.
*master 5aba488 Correct S52 PLIB Color
-Right mouse click, Navigate to here
- Cannot grab mark 002 with mouse and move it (how is this done?)
-Instead double click to bring up Waypoint Properties,
- Change Longitude to be further away.
-Route blinks and then disappears.
- I do not find the waypoint in the route manager waypoint list as not shown.

Quote:
Route bug report.
Scenario:
Håkan
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:14   #135

[QUOTE=rgleason;1545297]......
- Cannot grab mark 002 with mouse and move it (how is this done?)....../QUOTE]Rick..
Taskmanager-User interface-Uncheck "Lock Waypoints"
Håkan