Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2023, 04:53   #46

Re: OpenCPN Version 5.8.4 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
mgrouch...

No FB here. Direct link to the videos, if possible?
Thanks
Dave

No direct links to videos from Facebook. Basically video shows 3 second delay to move o-chart left or right.

Pi4, bullseye version wx3.0, arm64

O-chart plugin from plugin downloads registry.

NOAA ENC dot not have that issue.
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 06:25   #47

Boat: Victoire 1122

BDBCAT,
Manwhile I removed OPENCPN with Ccleaner (FreeV) and cleaned register. Installed V5.8.4 once again. Situation the same; No input from Multiplexer.
Removed OPENCPN again and cleaned with Ccleaner and installed V5.6.2 again. OPENCPN V5.6.2 operates fine! For now I'm happy again cruising in Denmark!
But what was th problem with V5.8.4?
Ohhh, I'm sorry I did not mention I'm working with board PC / Windows 10.
Can Windows defender also block the input on a COM port? I don't think it is the problem, but.....
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 08:10   #48
Marine Service Provider

mgrouch...
Lots of OCPN videos on FB.
Can you give me a hint of which one you are referring to?
Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 08:21   #49

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
BDBCAT,
No input from Multiplexer.
Can Windows defender also block the input on a COM port? I don't think it is the problem, but.....
be careful with the output speed of multiplexer and set it up with higher speed than the sum of all inputs all together, most of the time is a good speed 115000 bps.

because I have had quite a lot of problem with output speed of multiplexer, if you select a low speed what you can get is overflow in the output and maybe you'll lost most of the data either you'll get a big bunch of garbage in the output not readable by any software.

so first try to check the output quality with below procedure.

install Termite 3.4 to check the data in the COM port. https://www.compuphase.com/software_termite.htm
and setup at the same speed than the multiplexer, you'll see if you get a correct NMEA data stream from the multiplexer.
when you'll be sure that is being received properly install 5.8.4 and setup the input as the checked COM port, sure that you'll have the data in O.
unless you'll be using some kind of software that you'll receive the data via TCP/IP either UDP and you'll be translating to COM port.
and this could be the reason of being blocked, Very useful program is NMEARouter of Arundale.

Otherwise I cannot understand why being blocked one COM port in O.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 14:10   #50
Marine Service Provider

mgrouch...

Are you referring to the FB post regarding Greek charts?
Or some other post?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 01:38   #51

Boat: Victoire 1122

Corsair63;
In OpenCPN V5.6.2. I have no problems receiving the data stream from Com3; I can see the stream in OpenCPN. The installation of V5.8.4 was done over the V5.6.2.. And than no input. I checked the data stream coming from the multiplexer with teh original tool from the supplier Shipmodul.
Looking to V5.8.6. (I can't look in anymore because I'm sailing and need a good operating system and are using V5.6.2. again) on the page with the connections is also the check button to see the incoming datastream; the last check button there is to differ priority (is not available in V5.6.2). Looking there you see that there is 'com2' standard.
Om my system on Com2 the incoming AIS and the miltiplexer on Com3! With V5.8.4. I could see the AIS (Com2) information.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 11:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
mgrouch...

Are you referring to the FB post regarding Greek charts?
Or some other post?

Thanks
Dave

Yes that the one
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:06   #53

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

584, W10.

A translation bug: The item: "
<font size=-2>(Sector angles are True Bearings from Seaward)</font><br>
"
is correctly translated in the Crowdin but it remains in English on the objects screen.

See screenshots.

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-01 14_00_48-opencpn.pot - OpenCPN - Crowdin translation — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	277533   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-01 14_01_05-Liste des objets _.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	277534  

Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:53   #54

Hi Dave and colleagues
v584 is a very good version, much better than v582 where I had a lor of issues.
I'm running a PC with Debian (dietpi). With the computer at home plugged to my local network and connected through VNC all works.
But when onboard, connected to a screen with the same configuration I'm not able to start v584.
Back in home all works.
Any idea?
All the best
Save Our Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 17:02   #55

Boat: Lidgard 41

Hello Dave and the team,

Thank you very much for the program and updates. I have been running OpenCPN on both a Windows laptop and the paid Android app on Samsung Galaxy Tablet S7 Andoid V13.
Last week, the Android app just suddenly stopped working - it just crashes on startup everytime. There had been no changes to my tablet, it simply went from working well one day to not. On checking for updates, I noticed the app had automatically updated to the new v5.8.4. After starting the app, it crashes but Android says its still running. I have force closed the app and restarted the tablet several times to no avail.
Do I need to do a complete uninstall reinstall?
Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.
Jenni F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 23:11   #56

HI
Can you tell me if I can set the network connection up to use an external IP instead of a LAN IP. I would like someone to be able to access the application and track our location via an internet IP instead of a LAN ip, is this possible or does the application only work with a local LAN IP.

Regards
laurie selby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 00:14   #57

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni F View Post
Hello Dave and the team,

Thank you very much for the program and updates. I have been running OpenCPN on both a Windows laptop and the paid Android app on Samsung Galaxy Tablet S7 Andoid V13.
Last week, the Android app just suddenly stopped working - it just crashes on startup everytime. There had been no changes to my tablet, it simply went from working well one day to not. On checking for updates, I noticed the app had automatically updated to the new v5.8.4. After starting the app, it crashes but Android says its still running. I have force closed the app and restarted the tablet several times to no avail.
Do I need to do a complete uninstall reinstall?
Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.
Here is the forum for the Android app.
https://bigdumboat.com/
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:08   #58

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie selby View Post
HI
Can you tell me if I can set the network connection up to use an external IP instead of a LAN IP. I would like someone to be able to access the application and track our location via an internet IP instead of a LAN ip, is this possible or does the application only work with a local LAN IP.

Regards
I've made a connection for receiving data from my home too in OCPN without any problem, using a DynDNS account an opening a port in home modem.

but also I did in the past one connection with DynDNS account on the boat, opening a port in the modem's boat pointing one port in my home's router, and using these data in an input connection at home in OCPN.

you have to set in your boat a connection with output feature (also you can filter the data required not to transmit all), this connection should be pointing your home address, e.g. myhomeaddress.com and the port you have opened at home in your router.

afterward at home you have to redirect the incoming connection to the desired computer in your router and make a connection in OCPN with such values, e.g. 192.168.x.x and the defined port.

AFAIK in OCPN you can state as income / outcome IP addresses by name e.g. as DYNDNS names but also from another services.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 18:01   #59

Boat: Lagoon 500

Hi Dave, I have a perplexing problem which has arisen since installing OpenCPN 5.8.4. Trouble is that I changed over three things at the same time and I don't know what change caused the problem. Let me explain:

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to the new 2023 16" MBP Apple M2 Max with 64 GB memory and MacOS Ventura. I previously used a 2018 15" MBP with Intel chipset and OS Monterey. The old MBP worked fine with my Columbus V-800 data logger. However, the new 16" MBP does not recognise the V-800 in OpenCPN 5.8.4/Options/Connections Add Connection/Serial/DataPort.

So, is the problem caused by:
- the the change to Apple Silicon
- the change to Ventura
- the change to OpenCPN 5.8.4

I have emailed Columbus and have not received any response after repeated requests.

Appreciate any help I can get from the Community.

Best regards - Kevin Hiscox
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 18:42   #60

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie selby View Post
HI

Regards
This can work(a friend connecting to your boat), the challenge is getting a routable IP address for the boat. A cell phone hotspot or Starlink will not work. There are some Internet services that will.

Going the other way, your boat connecting to a land based connection is trivially easy. Just open the ports on the home router, and run DynDns if needed.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn