Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2023, 11:29   #121

Boat: FEELING 39 DI
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.8.0 Released

this is link to for plugin status bar https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/statusbar.html when i download catalog plugin i was not proposed
ploubaz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 11:52   #122
agv

Boat: Rossiter Curlew 32 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
agv....
Screenshot, please?

Thanks
Dave

See attached screenshot.
Regards, Andries
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-04-23 20-31-15.png
Views:	69
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	274471  
agv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 11:57   #123

Boat: Najad 34

What I know plugin Statusbar is not yet available for OCPN 5.8.
When ready it would be installed by Options=>Plugins in OCPN.
The plugin downloads in your link is not for O v 5.8
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 13:20   #124

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
What I know plugin Statusbar is not yet available for OCPN 5.8.
When ready it would be installed by Options=>Plugins in OCPN.
The plugin downloads in your link is not for O v 5.8

Hakan is correct. Statusbar is not working for O58 and needs repair, RX and improvement.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 16:04   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
All I can see in the screenshot is that the window is extremely small, as small that the chart canvas is not even there. You need to make it bigger. FWIW I have overnight installed a RPi OS machine (current, not the outdated Buster version you are running) and can achieve exactly the same appearance making the window as small as yours is. But I can make it bigger again with no problems, so can't tell you what makes it not possible to resize it on your system.
I reinstalled 5.8.0, opened it in the "safe" mode and after I made the window bigger and opened the "options" window and reenabled the charts downloader and clicked apply it did display my charts and boat location and seemed to work OK. However, as you can see in the attached image, only the "charts downloader" plugin is enabled. If I enable any of the other plugins and click "apply" the program freezes and doesn't work again until I open it in the "safe" mode. The second image shows what operating system I'm using. You indicated that "Buster" is outdated. Should I upgrade to Bullseye now. The cautions on-line imply the upgrade is brought with issues. I do have backups, but I'm not sure upgrading is worth it at this point. Also, the master catalog only shows the same plugins as are shown in my .jpg file. I used to be able to go to the "beta" catalog but couldn't find the "Catalog Expert =1" line in the configuration file any longer. Is there a different command to get to the beta catalog under OpenCPN 5.8.0? I definitely need my Navico 4G radar working, and the WWM plugin, the Dashboard, Draw, etc. but I don't seem some of these as options and the WMM, GRIB, and Dashboard that are there all make my program crash if I enable them and press "Apply". I put a new copy of my log file on DropBox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlb95rzuwr...encpn.log?dl=0.

I'm making progress with your help. But it's not working good enough to sail yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6105.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	274479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6104.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	274480  

SirChaunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 03:45   #126

Boat: Phantom 19

I very strongly recommend you update your system to Bullseye. Main reason being that pretty much nobody builds plugins for Buster, less for 32 bit version of it (For example the current version of the Radar plugin simply does not exist for your system). Another SD card for your Pi should not be that much of an investment so you can keep your current system and get back to it at any moment in a matter of seconds.
There is no reason the built-in plugins, like the super simple WMM should be freezing your system and nothing in the logfile you posted suggests they do, all that's visible there are clean shutdowns after a few minutes of operation.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 04:39   #127

Boat: Dehler Optima 106

Quote:
I very strongly recommend you update your system to Bullseye.
I will do so. It is decided already. I am travelling, so it will happen later this week.

Quote:
There is no reason the built-in plugins, like the super simple WMM should be freezing your system and nothing in the logfile you posted suggests they do, all that's visible there are clean shutdowns after a few minutes of operation.
The built-in plugins were working fine. I was installing -being desperate - the wrong flavour of other plugins with the consequence that OCPN was freezing on start. Since, this was my fault I was not reporting here.

Manfred
Aldebaran17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 10:04   #128

Quote:
I very strongly recommend you update your system to Bullseye. Main reason being that pretty much nobody builds plugins for Buster, less for 32 bit version of it (For example the current version of the Radar plugin simply does not exist for your system). Another SD card for your Pi should not be that much of an investment so you can keep your current system and get back to it at any moment in a matter of seconds.
I backed up everything on a separate chip and followed the terminal instructions for upgrading to bullseye from buster at the website: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...ye-from-buster. Updating everything including the firmware seemed to go smoothly, but in step 7 "sudo apt update" it had some errors (see attached screen shot of the terminal window). It mentions a missing public key. I went back and repeated the several steps before this one and again they went smoothly, but I still have these errors. Of course if I go to steps 8 etc. they also have errors. Any idea how I can correct this situation and finish updating to bullseye? I posted a copy of the opencpn.log file on DropBox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g6h10tz82...encpn.log?dl=0
Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6107.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	274511  
Old 24-04-2023, 10:30   #129

Quote:
Maybe it did install bullseye despite the errors I mentioned in my last message. I went through the remaining steps to install bullseye and rebooted and it opened up and OpenCPN 5.8.0 is running. I took a screenshot of the terminal window (attached) and it looks like it's running bullseye. However, when I opened the Options/Plugins and enabled the WMM plugin and clicked "apply" the open CPN screen freezes and no longer responds. A copy of my opencpn.log file after the screen freezes is on DropBox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g6h10tz82...encpn.log?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6108.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	274512  
Old 24-04-2023, 12:23   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrouch View Post
Do you see menu bar? Top one?
It’s been same behavior for me in all past 4 releases.
A user has to go to setting and enable top menu there to see it.
did you get this solved? I too am missing the MENUBAR. Win 11.

DISREGARD: I found the checkbox in Settings.
BernieSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 12:59   #131

SirChaunchy...
I would simply do it the other way around. Take a new SD card, put a 64bit version of the OS from https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/ on it and then copy old data and install any 3rd party software needed.
If you want to instead pursue what you started, remove the obsolete plugins you have in /usr/lib (likely by uninstalling the opencpn-plugin-* packages), then rename you opencpn data folder (~/.opencpn) to something like ~/.opencpn.bak, start OpenCPN and see if you still seem to have problems enabling the built-in plugins.
Old 24-04-2023, 16:27   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaunchy View Post
Maybe it did install bullseye despite the errors I mentioned in my last message. I went through the remaining steps to install bullseye and rebooted and it opened up and OpenCPN 5.8.0 is running. I took a screenshot of the terminal window (attached) and it looks like it's running bullseye. However, when I opened the Options/Plugins and enabled the WMM plugin and clicked "apply" the open CPN screen freezes and no longer responds. A copy of my opencpn.log file after the screen freezes is on DropBox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g6h10tz82...encpn.log?dl=0
I think I posted the wrong image in my last message because it still says "buster" in it. Attached below is a screenshot of the terminal window showing "bullseye" version 11 as the operating system. However, I still have issues with the plugins and some other features. I can enable the chartdownloader plugin, hit apply and it continues to work fine. I can stop and restart O and both O 5.8.0 and the chartdownloader work fine. If I open Options and enable any or all of the other plugins (e.g., WMM), it shows up in the menu and it works fine, however, if I stop OpenCPN and reopen it without choosing the "safe" mode it opens, but as soon as I press the Options button again to open it the whole OpenCPN window freezes and you can't do anything with it until you reboot—again in the safe mode. Anything else that was open when OpenCPN froze up continues to be operational and not affected. One other thing that's not working is the tide stations. If I click on one while O is open, it displays the tide chart perfectly the first time, but if I close the tide chart window and click that same tide station again or any other tide station, nothing happens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6110.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	274526  
Old 24-04-2023, 17:24   #133

What you should do I already posted in https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3770202
I am not able to reproduce any of your problems on the RPi system I provisioned to try to help you and there is nobody else reporting the same problems as you, so the only conclusion is your system is somehow unique. Which means you either make it not unique or you are basically on your own.
Old 25-04-2023, 02:23   #134
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Which means you either make it not unique or you are basically on your own.
Why complicating live when there are complete images for the RasPi from OpenPlotter?
https://openmarine.net/openplotter
Core package is OpenCPN, all ready for use on the RasPi....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 10:04   #135

Boat: Dehler Optima 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Why complicating live when there are complete images for the RasPi from OpenPlotter?
https://openmarine.net/openplotter
Core package is OpenCPN, all ready for use on the RasPi....
I report success. Actually starting from a new installation of OpenPlotterV3 and then upgrading to OpenCPN5.8.

Everything seems to be running smooth. Real test will be next weekend on the boat.

One minor things I could not find the checkbox to remove depth units in the upper right corner

Manfred
Aldebaran17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn