13 April, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Development Team is proud to announce the release of OpenCPN
OpenCPN Version 5.8.0 is available for immediate download.
This version is a feature update and maintenance
release of OpenCPN.
OpenCPN is a cross platform electronic navigation
system (ECS) supporting a variety of cartography standards and hardware
interface protocols. Versions are available for linux
, Windows, Raspberry Pi, and MacOS computer architectures.
Some features of OpenCPN include:
- Quilted Raster(RNC) and Vector(ENC) digital chart display.
- Support for MBTiles photo
and geographical chart overlays.
- Industry standard GPS
receiver interfacing, with "moving map" on-screen vessel tracking
receiver interfacing with configurable target safety
- Integrated Route
, Track, and Waypoint database, with industry standard Import/Export capabilities.
- Tide and Current
prediction, with on-screen overlay of predicted data.
- Broad International Language support.
architecture allowing on-going third-party functional enhancements.
OpenCPN is released under the GPLV2 license
. The executable program and its source code are available for immediate, free, and unlimited download from github.com.
As a successor to OpenCPN Version 5.6.2, OpenCPN Version 5.8.0 contains new features and enhanced functions.
- Integrated NMEA 2000
network capability, supporting a variety of popular bus interface adapters
- Peer-to-peer networking functions, allow sharing of objects (routes/tracks/waypoints) between interconnected OpenCPN devices.
- Redesigned navigational and environmental sensor
prioritization feature, allowing multiple redundant fail-over safety
- Updated core
wxWidgets support to wx3.2.
- Full support for scaled display modes on Windows.
- Full support for Flatpak on virtually all linux
distributions, for both x86 and Arm architectures.
- Improved native support for generic Debian linux distributions, particularly plugin
- Full recognition as an official system for Information Mode on European Inland Waters.
- Improved OpenGL graphics support and performance on all platforms.
- Incorporate extensive user feedback to resolve various UI flaws and functional errors.
We hope you enjoy the new features of OpenCPN Version 5.8.0, and look forward to your continued feedback.
For Download links, plugins, documentation
, and other useful information, visit our support website at:
The OpenCPN Development Team
Dave Register, Lead Developer