Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2023, 14:55   #106

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.8.0 Released

The above does not indicate any problem that could be related to OpenCPN, you are missing GPG keys for some of the other (Grafana and InfluxDB) repositories configured on your system.
Get rid of your older plugins by executing
Code:
rm -f ~/.local/lib/opencpn/*
then try to start OpenCPN again.
If it again fails, post your logfile (~/.opencpn/opencpn.log)
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 16:15   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
The above does not indicate any problem that could be related to OpenCPN, you are missing GPG keys for some of the other (Grafana and InfluxDB) repositories configured on your system.
Get rid of your older plugins by executing
Code:
rm -f ~/.local/lib/opencpn/*
then try to start OpenCPN again.
If it again fails, post your logfile (~/.opencpn/opencpn.log)
That did seem to do something in that O 5.8.0 opens now and stays open, but nothing works, i.e., no charts or boat loaction is shown, and the dock with the remaining plugins in it is right over the OpenCPN symbol in the tool bar so you can't get at it and the dock can't be moved. Also, nothing in that dock including the options (the cog) open if you click on them. I navigated to the .opencpn.log file and dragged it onto the "Manage Attachments" helper below and it showed it as being chosen and I pressed "upload" and it looked like it was doing something, but I don't see it here as an attachment. Please let me know if you don't get it.

Chan
SirChaunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 16:18   #108

You can upload the logfile to any service you are familiar with (Google Disk, OneDrive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, whatever) and post a link.
I'm not sure I understand your descipription, maybe a screenshot would be better.
Old 21-04-2023, 17:06   #109

Quote:
You can upload the logfile to any service you are familiar with (Google Disk, OneDrive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, whatever) and post a link.
I'm not sure I understand your descipription, maybe a screenshot would be better.
I've attached the screenshot as requested. As you can see, only the dashboard plugin is displayed. No charts, boat symbol, or anything and the black menu with all of the other plugins is in the top left corner and covers the OpenCPN symbol in the tool bar so you can't even close the program. That black box can't be moved or at least I don't know the trick for moving it so I can get at what's under it or reorient it up and down instead of right and left. I put the .opencpn.log in dropbox. The link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pthzjpfs0...encpn.log?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

Chan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6091.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	274411  
Old 21-04-2023, 17:46   #110

For some reason the window is super small. But according to the logfile OpenCPN tries to create it reasonably big, so it might be a function of your window manager.
I'm not familiar with the desktop environment your machine uses, but it looks like LXDE, so usually if you double click the title bar of the application, or right click the title bar of the application, you should somehow get to a possibility to maximize the window. And that is what you want to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	where_to_click.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	274413  
Old 21-04-2023, 17:55   #111

Quote:
For some reason the window is super small. But according to the logfile OpenCPN tries to create it reasonably big, so it might be a function of your window manager.
I'm not familiar with the desktop environment your machine uses, but it looks like LXDE, so usually if you double click the title bar of the application, or right click the title bar of the application, you should somehow get to a possibility to maximize the window. And that is what you want to do.
I've tried both double clicking and right clicking to move or resize the window, but it doesn't work. I'm running this on a Raspberry Pi 4. I also have it on my Mac computer and it updated to 5.8.0 on that fine and runs great. Just the RPi4 has issues.
Old 21-04-2023, 18:02   #112

Still your only remaining problem is the size of the window. And we have nobody else reporting a similar problem. Not even on a RPi running the same old Buster based system as you.
I can see a discussion of a maybe similar problem as yours at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...n-raspberry-pi so perhaps try what they discuss there. I don't have any LXDE system available, so my options to help you are slowly but surely coming to an end for now.
Old 22-04-2023, 08:38   #113

Quote:
Still your only remaining problem is the size of the window. And we have nobody else reporting a similar problem. Not even on a RPi running the same old Buster based system as you.
I can see a discussion of a maybe similar problem as yours at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...n-raspberry-pi so perhaps try what they discuss there. I don't have any LXDE system available, so my options to help you are slowly but surely coming to an end for now.
No, that screen size is not the only remaining problem. As you can see in that screen shot there's nothing displayed and nothing works. You can't open the options window, none of the apps work, there are no maps displayed, it's as if the screen is frozen once it opens. If everything else worked as it's supposed to, having the small window for the plugins would be a minor issue. Right now I have only the mandatory plugins open. There's got to be something else the program is missing in order to operate normally, but I have no idea what that might be.
Old 22-04-2023, 08:48   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaunchy View Post
No, that screen size is not the only remaining problem. As you can see in that screen shot there's nothing displayed and nothing works. You can't open the options window, none of the apps work, there are no maps displayed, it's as if the screen is frozen once it opens. If everything else worked as it's supposed to, having the small window for the plugins would be a minor issue. Right now I have only the mandatory plugins open. There's got to be something else the program is missing in order to operate normally, but I have no idea what that might be.
All I can see in the screenshot is that the window is extremely small, as small that the chart canvas is not even there. You need to make it bigger. FWIW I have overnight installed a RPi OS machine (current, not the outdated Buster version you are running) and can achieve exactly the same appearance making the window as small as yours is. But I can make it bigger again with no problems, so can't tell you what makes it not possible to resize it on your system.
Old 22-04-2023, 12:07   #115

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Crash Reports?

Hi All,
First, thanks for the great release. Much appreciated.

On a passage last week from the Marquesas to the Tuamotus, I had a couple of crashes. No internet so no crash reports transmitted. They can be found at the link below if interested. The one from 4/20 was after we arrived during a SSCA Zoom conference (on satellite charting, OpenCPN, etc.).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/u8vq8...fzqxrf5jgzd6h0

I notice that the xml file says <OperatingSystem>Windows 10 Enterprise Build 22621</OperatingSystem> though I am running Windows 11 Pro.

If there is a better way to report, please let me know.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 22-04-2023, 13:03   #116

Boat: Dehler Optima 106

Quote:
All I can see in the screenshot is that the window is extremely small, as small that the chart canvas is not even there. You need to make it bigger. FWIW I have overnight installed a RPi OS machine (current, not the outdated Buster version you are running) and can achieve exactly the same appearance making the window as small as yours is. But I can make it bigger again with no problems, so can't tell you what makes it not possible to resize it on your system.
Had the same issue a couple of times. I believe it was when OpenCPN started in safe mode.

I was not aware that Buster is outdated. So, I will update to Bullseye. I am using VNC, which was reported to not work with Bullseye. Hope this is solved.

Manfred
Aldebaran17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 02:34   #117
agv

Boat: Rossiter Curlew 32 ft

Yesterday I installed O5.8 (from 5.6.2) on a miniPC running Ubuntu 20.04
Most things seem to work well after updating various plugins. Chartupdates work well with my oesenc charts.
There is one annoying little problem: some buttons of the toolbar are not visible. Only the lowest four buttons are visible. The buttons above those are not visible. If I hover the mouse above an invisible button, the button is functional: I can go e.g. to the Options window, while the Options button is invisible.
I include the OpenCPN logfile here. I would be grateful for any suggestion to have these buttons visible again.
Regards, Andries
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.pdf (949.8 KB, 16 views)
agv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 06:52   #118
Marine Service Provider

agv....
Screenshot, please?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 09:57   #119

Boat: FEELING 39 DI

hello i surch plugin status bar but i don't see on catalog plugin i was not proposed
ploubaz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 10:14   #120

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploubaz22 View Post
hello i surch plugin status bar but i don't see on catalog plugin i was not proposed

Please explain with attached screenshots or clearer/more detailed language if possible. We don't really understand the problem.

Also OS please.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn