Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 21:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN Version 5.1.518 Beta Test

Hello all OpenCPN supporters !

Continuing our Beta test, here is Beta v5.1.518

Here are the links for Windows and Mac installation packages.

The downloadable installers for Mac and Windows are here:
Windows

http://download.opencpn.org/beta/ope...918d_setup.exe

MacOS
http://download.opencpn.org/beta/Ope...+1.1e2918d.pkg

For linux users running a debian-derivative distribution, you may install the Beta using your distro's package management tools.
Packages for Trusty, Xenial, Bionic, and Focal are available from the OpenCPN Beta PPA.

Please note that above links are fixed, and will not reflect the ongoing daily build cycles.
If you need to test a feature that you know or suspect has been fixed or added by a daily build, you may find it here:
https://cloudsmith.io/~david-registe...able/packages/

Here is a list of some of the corrections and new features in this Beta release:

Beta 5.1.518

1. Correct "Show Grid" checkbox feature
2. Correct Help dialog initial size when accessed from toolbar "help"(circle-?) icon.
3. Correct/improve ENC area rendering logic
4. Correct Soundings font clipped rendering, MacOS
5. Correct multiline waypoint name rendering, GL, MSW only. #FS2541
6. MacOS: Correct TCData installation.
7. Correct Heading prediction line is interrupted at great zoom level when own ship is outside the screen edge..
8. Correct plugin manager panel legends and icons on plugin update availability.
9. Disable Options->User Standard Object list unless User Standard display category is active.
10. Correct Ownship real-size vector scaling logic.
11. Added support for AIS message 27. Long range position report.
12. Uploaded translatable text strings to crowdin opencpn project.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 04:47   #2

Re: OpenCPN Version 5.1.518 Beta Test

Dave
Good job. At first view things ar working OK in Windows 10 pro.
Many thanks for this update.
Salutations.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 05:30   #3

Dave
We can not choose the Standard objects or All in the interface provided anymore. No matter if OpenGL on or not. It could be pale look or/and not possible to change any and the slider not working. Anythin I am missings?
Windows 10pro and cM93 and S57 charts.
Help please.

sorry I found the way to do it.
Many thanks.
Old 19-05-2020, 05:52   #4

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Thanks so much for this, Dave. At first blush...

The Good:
  • Whatever you did to improve the performance of my gihugic mbTiles is AMAZING! I'm seeing very little delay when OpenCPN encounters a new area with multiple mbTiles.
  • Startup times seem improved as well, especially when OpenCPN wakes up over an area with mbTiles.
  • CMap & Navionics mbTiles (with depths, from SAS Planet) now have legible depths! Presumably you adjusted the zoom levels. Again, thank you very much for this!
  • Actually rendering a large mbTile still takes a few seconds, but that also seems faster than it was. Panning & zooming with large mbTiles is still a tad arthritic, but no worse than it was.

The not so good:
  • My CM93/v2 depths are still much larger than they need to be, larger even than V5.1.4xx. In areas with lots of soundings, they would be illegible (5yo 17" Acer, Win10, OpenGL, 1920x1280). It seems difficult for OpenCPN to make all the right decisions all the time with all the different screen sizes, graphics chips, graphics drivers, pixel sizes, & old/new eyes. Would it be too difficult to provide a slider so users can set the size of vector-chart depths themselves, like the 3 existing sliders in the UI section? It would solve a lot of problems...
  • I'm not finding a switch to allow those of us with opaque-only mbTiles to use the old click-the-piano-key-&-see-that-chart-now paradigm that we know & love (like with KAPs & CM93). Has that part of FS#2601 been put off for now?

Question:
  • Does OpenCPN have code to support graphics co-processors, like the NVidia GEForce chips? Is it worthwhile to turn those chips on?
Old 19-05-2020, 06:00   #5

Try changing your text to Time New Roman font size 9. It works for me.
Bye
Old 19-05-2020, 09:11   #6

Boat: Najad 34

re: "9. Disable Options->User Standard Object list unless User Standard display category is active."

I'm not sure I'm convinced about this change.
First:
If you're in Options->Charts->Vector charts and decide to change any user setting you have to exit options and change any canvas option to "User standard" if that wasn't selected before. And the back into Options again. This may not be clear to every user? It may also be more confusing than the previous function: Options -> "Users Standard" can be editable any time. But to use it you have to select it on the canvas "hamburger".
Thoughts?

Next:
And this may be called a bug?
If canvas 0 (left) is not using "User standard" but canvas1(Right) does it's not possible to edit User Standards in Options--->Vector charts. Unless you have selected canvas 1 to have focus and don't happen to click in canvas 0 before entering into Options.

If canvas 0 (left) is using "User standard" but not canvas1(Right) it's possible to edit in Options--->Vector charts. Unless canvas 1 has focus before entering Option. Then user standards are not possible to edit.

If both canvases are using "User standard" it's possible to edit in Options--->Vector charts.
So:
If the hide function has to bee there I'd prefer that's it should be enough that any canvas, left or right, has "User Standards" selected to un-hide the edit function in Options. Do not check for "active" (has focus) canvas.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

1. "This may not be clear to every user?"
cagney has a different view...
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3138495
Let us discuss.

2. "And this may be called a bug"...
Agree. I should check to see if either canvas has UserStandard mode active to enable the list.

Thanks
Dave
Old 19-05-2020, 11:32   #8

Gentleman, I am coming back again with that:- the possibility to adjust the scale to what ever you want. For instance say 1:15000 or else as desire. Presently you are zooming in or out to whatever happend. So, is it possible.
I would appreciate.
Old 19-05-2020, 12:20   #9

Boat: Dufour 35

re: "9. Disable Options->User Standard Object list unless User Standard display category is active."

*This feature used to be in 4.8.x, so it is kind of a regression with 5.
This way to handle things, graying out settings if the item is not active, is common in O.

*As I said previously....
Quote:
Options->Charts->Vector Charts Display->User Standard Objects
should be grayed out unless Display Category "User Standard" is selected.

Why?
During the last week I have seen 2 users quickly diving into OpenCPN, and misunderstanding how "Options->Charts->Vector Charts Display->User Standard Objects" works. Next step for them is asking on this forum.
* I think it's clearly a very rare event that a user would like to edit "User Standard Objects" while using raster charts, or one of the other vector chart "Display Categories". I'm sure you would like to confirm your edit in "User Standard", and then you may as well use this Display Category to start with.

I agree that it's a disadvantage with the separation of the setting of Display Category from the settings of "User Standard Objects", that was introduced with version 5. But... it is an advantage to be able to change the Display Category easy. O is full of compromises like that.

In the end I think it is important to make O as intuitive as possible for beginners (and the rest of us) and I think that this change is the right thing to do.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 13:05   #10

Thomas..
"In the end I think it is important to make O as intuitive as possible for beginners (and the rest of us)"
Yes, of course! I do agree! That's what most discussions here are about. All users are different and understand the UI in there own way. Your example is one and I've met different understanding on various things on my trainings as well. It's not easy. As we are all human?
OK, I can apply to your thoughts about this. It may be your are right about how to foresee most users reaction to this topic. Our own controlled by old habits are not valid.
Thanks
Håkan
Old 19-05-2020, 13:41   #11
jrp

Dave, (and I assume you are the same Dave Register that posts android app front-end to OpenCPN?) I'm trying to get more info on the usability of the android ver. I do have OpenCPN on a Windows desktop and that works well (well considering my desktop is land based hundreds of miles from anywhere with water), but the android ver that I actually want to use on my boat seems far more troublesome and not well documented. Can you point me to clear documentation? I have recently added an oeSENC plugin on top of the Andoid app and that has only made it less useful. On my 10" Samsung tablet the OK Apply buttons are 90% off screen, and a host of other issues. Thanks for any clues
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 15:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

frp...

Please join the OpenCPN for Android at:
https://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/

There you may find more information, and specific discussions about your observations.

Thanks
Dave
Old 19-05-2020, 16:43   #13
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...
re:
"I should check to see if either canvas has UserStandard mode active to enable the list."

Done, in github now.

Thanks
Dave
Old 20-05-2020, 04:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hakan...
re:
"I should check to see if either canvas has UserStandard mode active to enable the list."
Done, in github now.
Thanks
Dave
Function confirmed on Win10.
Thanks
Håkan
Old 20-05-2020, 10:15   #15

Boat: Raider 18 Cuddy

I hope FS#2641 can make it in this version
Ben S is offline   Reply With Quote