Hello all OpenCPN
It is time to start the formal Beta test program leading to the release of OpenCPN
Today we start a Beta test of OpenCPN v5.1.428
Here are the links for Windows and Mac installation
The downloadable installers for Mac and Windows are here:
users running a debian-derivative distribution, you may install the Beta using your distro's package management tools.
Packages for Trusty, Xenial, Bionic, and Focal are available from the OpenCPN Beta PPA.
If you prefer, you may browse the available platforms and installer images
Here is a list of some of the new Features in this release:
1. New Plugin management system, allowing Plugin updates from within OpenCPN from a trusted repository.
We will have more to say about this in another post.
2. Support for more platforms, including Ubuntu v20.04, and flatpak, about which we will say more later.
3. New standard package for simplified installation
4. Integrated support for signalK input data streams.
5. Realtime prediction of AIS
6. Implement high-definition font rendering for depth
soundings on vector charts
7. Small GUI tweaks to improve useability.
1. Comprehensive solutions to many bugs and deficiencies reported in Flyspray.
Here is a condensed list of the corrected Flyspray bug:
FS#2642 - OPENCPN not opening virtual COM port created with com0com
FS#2638 - New "Green Dot Look Ahead Mode" fails in Course Up Mode
FS#2580 - Uninstalled tide station crashes program
FS#2594 - Center View feature "dings" after entering coordinates and selecting OK
FS#2591 - Waypoint Range Rings Mysteriously Appearing - Issue Identified
FS#2633 - Windows display scaling problem in input field custom URL chart downloader
FS#2637 - Wrong name/location for lockfile.
FS#2613 - Can't use AIS
Virtual Com port (AMEC AIS)
FS#2627 - NMEA
Checksum not ignored
FS#2568 - Dashboard clock displays cpu time instead of GPS
time when there is an active route
FS#2621 - Tracks to show timestamp on mouseover
FS#2595 - OCPN 5.0.0 does not manage to open COM port unless another program or older version is run first.
FS#2581 - Restore route
"step through" capability in v5.0 as it was in prior versions
FS#2555 - Pop-up windows not closing with Esc
FS#2626 - Settings in new install and in recovery template
FS#2581 - Restore route "step through" capability in v5.0 as it was in prior versions
FS#2598 - Waypoint created from AIS target info dialog has "@@@@" padding after name
FS#2609 - Route Properties ETA and ETD errors
FS#2546 - Extra line in the chart border of an mbtiles chart
FS#2629 - Waypoint dialog doesn’t fit 800*480 touchscreen and no scrollbar OpenCPN 5.0.0
FS#2601 - Switch for mbTiles piano keys, & mbTiles wake up OFF (partial)
The Beta test plan:
1. We will discuss and describe bugs and other problems found on the OpenCPN Beta in this thread.
2. If you are the author of a bug listed as corrected in Flyspray, please confirm the solution, and close the Flyspray issue if appropriate. If the bug is not cleared, please leave comments sufficient to allow the developers to simply and quickly re-produce the issue. This allows for rapid solution.
3. Please DO NOT use the github opencpn issues tracker for this Beta test process. That channel is reserved for comments and discussion related to unreleased development projects.
There is a lot to digest here, especially the new features introduced with this version. We will be starting some separate threads for discussion and "best-practice" usage of some of the new features. Stay tuned...
Thanks in advance for your help
Dave and the OpenCPN development team.