Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 22:01   #3286

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Re: Feature Requests

Would it be possible to have all AIS target predictor lengths to change to the same time value when I change my course over ground predictor length time?
Typically I choose 1 hour for my own ship and AIS targets predictor length and a shorter time value such as 10minutes in busy waterways.
I don't know why anyone would want to select different predictor length values for AIS to their own vessels value when navigating busy waterways.
Can this be done or at least a tick box to align all predictor lengths?
Cheers
Wayne
Old 05-06-2022, 22:26   #3287

Boat: Najad 34

Wayne..
Unfortunately not. To arrange own ship and AIS targets course predictor length to the same value you need to adjust both settings.

I do agree a future request would be to have them optional synchronized.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 23:54   #3288

Thanks Hakan,
So keep it in mind for the future as a simplifying procedure
Old 06-06-2022, 05:07   #3289

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Thanks Hakan,
So keep it in mind for the future as a simplifying procedure

Wayne, these things often don't just happen. You must make a tracker request and vote for it. Go to opencpn.org Pick "Tracker" at the top and then register and make a Feature Request with a short description. Then vote for it and get others to vote as well so it becomes a "vetted" request.

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 15:28   #3290

Thanks Ric,

Yes I managed to get a feature request through the procedure "Own ship centered anywhere on the screen" (which I am sure users appreciate)
I will post it shortly if i can recall my log in
Old 08-06-2022, 23:57   #3291

Boat: Najad 34

Ambler..
When auto follow is active we can already "center" the ship symbol anywhere on the screen. See more here about this function implemented in version 5.0.

About the AIS predictor arrow length (time). A Pull Request is filed to implement it on next OCPN version if accepted.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:27   #3292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Ambler..
When auto follow is active we can already "center" the ship symbol anywhere on the screen. See more here about this function implemented in version 5.0.

About the AIS predictor arrow length (time). A Pull Request is filed to implement it on next OCPN version if accepted.
Yes it was hard to describe my feature request at the time. But prior to getting implemented we could only be at screen centre or offset in look ahead mode (jumpy screen) if we wanted a moving map display.

Great if aligning all predictor lengths to a desired time will be implemented soon.

All good
Old 09-06-2022, 16:02   #3293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Yes it was hard to describe my feature request at the time. But prior to getting implemented we could only be at screen centre or offset in look ahead mode (jumpy screen) if we wanted a moving map display.

Great if aligning all predictor lengths to a desired time will be implemented soon.

All good

Manual changed
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._cog_predictor
Old 11-06-2022, 05:03   #3294

Added (Will not be seen in production until OCPN 5.8.x)

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._cog_predictor
Old 15-06-2022, 03:16   #3295

Register OpenCPN as a compatible Charplotter with Navionics

Hello Dave and team,

It would be great in this modern age if we could get OpenCPN registered with Navionics (garmin) as a compatible plotter for plottersync with the Navionics Boating App.

Currently, the compatible equipment looks like this: https://www.navionics.com/media/wysi...lity_Guide.pdf

There are a number of PC applications that are compatible according to the table.

Navionics app is a great app but integration between systems is frustrating.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 05:36   #3296

Re: Register OpenCPN as a compatible Charplotter with Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
Hello Dave and team,

It would be great in this modern age if we could get OpenCPN registered with Navionics (garmin) as a compatible plotter for plottersync with the Navionics Boating App.

Currently, the compatible equipment looks like this: https://www.navionics.com/media/wysi...lity_Guide.pdf

There are a number of PC applications that are compatible according to the table.

Navionics app is a great app but integration between systems is frustrating.

Cheers
Spart
The PC Nav Software market has changed over the years, and OpenCPN is still very much alive and active. I looked at most of the software listed just out of curiosity, and was impressed by WAASP CDX and the recent WASSP Rapid Deployment Multibeam Sounder and seafloor mapping capability, of course it is a Kiwi company...

OpenCPN enabling Navionics Charts might be a reasonable thing to do, but it would require a special effort and additional programming resources, when OpenCPN has a good stable relationship with o-charts which provides charts at a reasonable cost worldwide.
Old 15-06-2022, 10:14   #3297

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
OpenCPN enabling Navionics Charts might be a reasonable thing to do, but it would require a special effort and additional programming resources, when OpenCPN has a good stable relationship with o-charts which provides charts at a reasonable cost worldwide.
o-charts does work and we have been a customer since the beginning but we have been experimenting with the evolution of our onboard pi's and android.

Currently we have a rpi4 4GB running android 12 very stable and it runs Navionics boating app really well and lot of other apps useful for sailing. The licensed navionics charts are great and updated very frequently. We can use it as a remote display using a datafeed from opencpn and it shows the position and AIS data and if we have loaded the same route GPX then it will show progress against the route. Challenge is no AP output. Massive userbase and community contributing.

If Opencpn could act as a plotter using navionics from an SD card as they are licenses be recognised as a plotter then life would be great.

It is pretty clunky to get routes out of opencpn and into the boating app. As there is no plotter sync.

Things do change quickly. We are loving the rpi4 Android!

Cheers
Spart
Old 16-06-2022, 09:58   #3298

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
o-charts does work ..

Currently we have a rpi4 4GB running android 12 very stable and it runs Navionics boating app...

..Massive userbase and community contributing.

..If Opencpn could act as a plotter using navionics from an SD card as they are licenses be recognized as a plotter then life would be great.

It is pretty clunky to get routes out of opencpn and into the boating app. As there is no plotter sync.

Things do change quickly. We are loving the rpi4 Android!

Spart
I had not heard of rpi running android. I will guess you are using the Opencpn Android version on that configuration. Please explain what you are saying further!

How is the massive user base and community contributing? What are they contributing too? I think OpenCPN Users should be contributing more, and I am not sure we need to dilute that by joining with some huge community.... of course it could be viewed as a positive thing, expanding OpenCPN's use, community support and recognition. I also don't know what the effect of supporting navionics instead of o-charts would be...because our intent is to support o-charts primarily as they are our access to many charts.
Old 18-06-2022, 05:52   #3299

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I had not heard of rpi running android. I will guess you are using the Opencpn Android version on that configuration. Please explain what you are saying further!

How is the massive user base and community contributing? What are they contributing too? I think OpenCPN Users should be contributing more, and I am not sure we need to dilute that by joining with some huge community.... of course it could be viewed as a positive thing, expanding OpenCPN's use, community support and recognition. I also don't know what the effect of supporting Navionics instead of o-charts would be...because our intent is to support o-charts primarily as they are our access to many charts.
The version of OpenCPN on android looks outdated on the play store (4.x) is there an up to date version APK that can be downloaded and installed?

All the Navionics cartography is licensed from the respective geographic IHO's millions of navionics users worldwide can contribute live to the charts as a community edit layer than can be switched on or off also there is active captain integration which brings another group of millions of users and brings another layer of detailed local information to the sailing area.

I am not saying Navionics is the answer to everything but with Android now working and stable on Rpi4 and BTW Android 10 on Rpi3 it opens up a world of apps on the big screen.

We run OpenCPN with official UK and Near Europe O-Charts. I have compared them side by side the base data is the same derived from the official ENC's.

Currently, we have a hybrid Raymarine Digital Yacht AIT 5K and RPI4 system. Ubuntu on the Rpi4 24" 12V TV at the chart table running OpenCPN with the official charts and we have another Rpi4 connected to the onboard 32" 12v TV that is running Android and Navionics and taking the AIS and GPS feed from the main RPI4 OpenCPN over WIFI UDP.

Currently anyone on board with a mobile phone can connect to the boat cloud and connect the feed to OpenCPN on android or navionics or other boating apps we have iregatta also that takes the feed over WIFI UDP.

It's a different kind of charting I guess that brings in the dimension of connectivity to a dynamic community and allows you to both consume and contribute your knowledge and experience of your local sailing grounds and observations and recommendations and share that simply and easily.

OpenCPN could become a recognised Chartplotter potentially. Anyone can see the navionics carts via their live web viewer and can plan route and export it etc.

Still working on an easy method to exchange gpx files between navionics and opencpn that is simple and maybe automatable.
Old 18-06-2022, 06:12   #3300
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The OCPN version of Android you are mentioning is a fork from the very first steps - not maintained nor supported. Does not know about plug-ins for example and as the version number says based on OpenCPN 4.2.
The actual one, maintained and in sync with OCPN 5.6.2 is this one from Dave:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pencpn.opencpn

o-charts is one answer of OpenCPN to the oligopol of closed chart formats at the mercy of Garmin/Navionics or Navico/C-Map. Wärtsila/Transas (iSailor) is the third one, but at quite a distance.

If Garmin, the owner of the Navionics brand, wishes to offer their charts for OpenCPN, they are free to develop the corresponding plug-in.

The UK o-charts oeSENC are updated quarterly, following the frequency of UKHO for our channel. Other Hydrographical Offices update weekly. In this cases we are doing the same.

With reference to crowd sourced navigational charts - especially soundings - we are sceptical. And not only us.
POI are different animals.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote