Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-05-2022, 12:38   #3271
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_bay View Post
As I said to nohal I will attempt to generate a list of suggested changes. A major advantage of open software is a conversation with other knowledgeable users and the developers rather than handing off a wish list. My wish is to have a hand in attempting to improve the interface, not whining because I don't like something.

Very welcome - for sure!
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 12:46   #3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I think you're overdoing this.
In Options->Charts->Vector charts select all but "Important text only".
Set the depth limits once to fit your boat.
In the per canvas menu, "Hamburger", to the right select "Display category" "All" if your PC can stand it. (Most will do today).
In the Hamburger select or not "Look ahead mode"
For day and night switch lights on/off by key "L".
That's it. How a narrow entrance can change that I don't understand. Maybe use two canvases and overview on one and details on the other for a full control.
... My simple view.
Thank you for your response and helpful suggestion. However I think you are both missing one of my main points yet helping make it at the same time. That is persons unfamiliar with OpenCPN when presented with a new area are going to struggle with the interface. Your familarity with OpenCPN's UI make it easy for you. Not all of the persons I might have for crew on a given voyage are familiar with OpenCPN or necessarily computer literate.

Regarding the narrow entrance. It is not the width of the channel that makes it challenging. The Columbia River is well know as a very hazardous entrance. The navigator needs to be able find all of the information / data they need without overload. Without struggling with the UI.

Simply put, the UI could be easier to use.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 06:03   #3273

Boat: Gemini 3200

A user unfamiliar with OpenCPN should not be trying to learn his way around it while trying to enter a difficult channel. A large crew unfamiliar with the program should not be tweaking it while under way.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 09:37   #3274

Re: Vector chart display. Improve interface

Back from non-boat responsibilities here are more thoughts on my feature request “Vector chart display options. Interface improvement” post #3261. As requested by nohal post #3266 I have specific suggestions on how to improve the interface. Having the various options and settings that affect vector charts in several places of the UI requires the user to memorize where those locations are. In a very real sense negating the usefulness of a GUI. I’m no longer requesting that the location of the options and settings for vector charts be moved. I am requesting a streamlined access to those settings. This can analogous to the way hot keys work but without additional hot keys. The options and settings remain where they are, we simply have easier, faster ways to access those options and settings. These suggestions will not adversely affect experienced users of OpenCPN.

This could be implemented as follows.

In Chart Panel Options (The hamburger menu) / Vector Charts we could have new selections / icons located beneath the Display Category drop box. These selections / icons would open the current UI’s relevant dialogs.

The first and most important new selection / icon would take the user to the
Options/Charts/Vector Chart Display dialogs where the majority of vector chart settings are located.

The next two are not as important and might be under a new heading in the hamburger menu All Chart Display because they affect both vector and raster charts.

A selection / icon to take the user to the
Options/Display/Units dialogs. This will give the user access to options and settings that affect both vector and raster charts with depth being the most important setting here with respect to vector charts

Finally consider a selection / icon to take the user to the
Options/User Interface/General Options dialogs. The reason for this one is to give easy access to font settings. It may not be considered important enough to place access in the hamburger menu.

The new Chart Panel Options menu might look something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New hamburger menu.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	258518  
Old 28-05-2022, 09:57   #3275

Yes you are correct under ideal circumstances.

However from personal experience I can tell you it's not always possible. One story to illustrate. A crew of 2 working 24x7 standing 6 and 6. In heavy weather when the electric over hydraulic steering quits due generator problems. I'm the only one intimately familiar with the boat. The mate, an excellent mariner, has only been aboard 2 days. He's navigating and having to steer by manual hydraulic in following seas by himself while I try to get the gen running again. At my orders he's making for the Columbia River. Had we been using vector charts he very well may have had to do more than simply zoom in and out to set up the approach. Combine his work load with the thrashing we were taking a streamlined interface would have been very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
A user unfamiliar with OpenCPN should not be trying to learn his way around it while trying to enter a difficult channel. A large crew unfamiliar with the program should not be tweaking it while under way.
Old 28-05-2022, 11:47   #3276

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_bay View Post
Yes you are correct under ideal circumstances.

However from personal experience I can tell you it's not always possible. One story to illustrate. A crew of 2 working 24x7 standing 6 and 6. In heavy weather when the electric over hydraulic steering quits due generator problems. I'm the only one intimately familiar with the boat. The mate, an excellent mariner, has only been aboard 2 days. He's navigating and having to steer by manual hydraulic in following seas by himself while I try to get the gen running again. At my orders he's making for the Columbia River. Had we been using vector charts he very well may have had to do more than simply zoom in and out to set up the approach. Combine his work load with the thrashing we were taking a streamlined interface would have been very welcome.

You were the skipper who chose to rely on OpenCPN but you didn't (1) teach your crew how to use it or (2) set it up so the necessary information was displayed on the charts. Had you taken the time to set up OpenCPN to display the information you wanted and/or spent some time with your crew teaching how to use OpenCPN before you left on your voyage you would have been prepared for the emergency.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 12:27   #3277

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
You were the skipper who chose to rely on OpenCPN but you didn't (1) teach your crew how to use it or (2) set it up so the necessary information was displayed on the charts. Had you taken the time to set up OpenCPN to display the information you wanted and/or spent some time with your crew teaching how to use OpenCPN before you left on your voyage you would have been prepared for the emergency.
Well we've certainly gone sideways here. I share the responsibility for that. I want to get it back on track to discussing the merits of an improved vector chart display interface as well as my proposed changes.
Old 29-05-2022, 07:22   #3278
Marine Service Provider

Portage_Bay...
Yes, let us get back on track.
I'm listening for your ideas that would be consistent with the essential functionality of OCPN.

It occurs to me that we may want to consider some "non-expert" UI mode, for lack of a better term. This mode could empower inexperienced operators to get the info they need, without potentially scrambling the system and requiring "expert" help to re-configure.
Thoughts?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 08:54   #3279

Boat: Najad 34

I may be quiet here since years of experience but even though OCPN is the best navigational tool maintaining settings is often easier than comparable programs like e.g. Transas and TimeZero to mention a few.
Of course no objections if we can simplify more still keeping most features.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 09:04   #3280
Marine Service Provider

Hakan....

For sure, we will not remove features that "experts" are using today. What I see is a switchable simplified UI for truly new users, or users with no electronic nav experience at all.

Ideas (some may be extreme...):
1. No multi-window.
2. For ENCs: Simple on-screen buttons for text, depths, ??
3. Limited access to Settings.
4. Routes locked?
5. Toolbar hidden?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 09:15   #3281

Boat: Amel Sharki

You forgot number 6.: A context sensitive help switchable for experts or non-experts.
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 10:07   #3282

Dave..
I'm not arguing just forwarding quick one-time thoughts now.
If you'd like to spend efforts on a light-O switch it would of course be nicely performed. No doubts.
But there are a lot lightweight "charts viewer" already out there. Some have mentioned AvNav as such an alternative. I haven't tested that myself so I may be unfair?
Old 31-05-2022, 12:44   #3283

Dave,

The short answer is don’t lock anyone out of any key functions of OCPN. The interface is well designed, simple to use and easy to understand for the most part.

When I started the feature request the main reason was to improve access to vector chart options and settings. I have yet to find a single setup that is a one size fits all for vector charts under various scenarios. Any navigator will want/need to adjust things at times. I had in mind experienced navigators as opposed to novice navigators but those not familiar with OCPN and perhaps not very computer literate. Or for that matter anyone trying to operate a computer or tablet in heavy weather. Too easy to make a mess of things. After reading the responses and your questions I suggested a way to improve said access on a Windows PC by adding a bit to the bottom of the hamburger menu. Post #3274 This would make it easier for novice OCPN users to find the key vector chart options and settings without changing anything for expert users.

It may be a good idea for the captain / primary navigator on a multi watch voyage be able to lock parts of the system down:
  • Options/Charts/Chart Files/Directories
  • Options/Charts/Chart Groups
  • Options/Connections - All options and settings here
  • Options/Ships – All options and settings here
  • Options/Plugins - All options and settings here

Another thing that would be helpful on a multi watch voyage is a “Panic” or “Reset” button. This could be tied to the template function. The capt/primary navigator will configure OCPN for the coming voyage or shorter term needs. An experienced navigator unfamiliar with OCPN or a bit computer literate may start trying to adjust the various options and setting with good intent and get the system wrinkled up. He/she only need to hit the “Reset” button to get back to a usable and stable state. If the navigator requires refinement of the system for a given task then they can call the capt/primary navigator to make said changes.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:28   #3284

Boat: Marie Jeanne 43
Re: AIS nuisance alarms when target is on parallel course

About "AIS nuisance alarms when target is on parallel course"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Hi Dave
I don't have a good idea on how to fix this, besides a "suppress this target for xx minutes".
Dirk
An hysteresis is the usual solution in computer science (here on the CPA).
But this would not be sufficient considering that, in your situation, you switch between "there is no CPA at all" and "CPA very close".
Consider also navigating close to a fisherman, an army boat, surveyor, tug and many other boats which are always changing direction but never come closer to you.

Thus I propose :

When you aknowledge an alarm, this alarm will be silenced until this boat is significantly closer to you than it was when you aknowledged it (say half the distance).
PiAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:07   #3285

PiAn.. Dirk..

The function "suppress this target for xx minutes" we already have by Options->Ships->AIS Targets->"Enable Target Alert Acknowledge timeout (min)"

To suppress CPA alerts for a (constant) parallel target is possible by Options->Ships->MMSI Properties and make the target a "Follower"

The suggestion to make it possible to suppress further CPA alerts for an acknowledged target until it becomes closer than e.g. half the distance set in "No alert if target range is greater than (NM)" is worth to consider though.