Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 15:15   #2446

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Feature Requests

bcn wrote:
Quote:
But this [GPS position offsets in Own ship] will not offset the position of measurement points (as far as I know..)
I had forgotten or did not realize O now has this information available.
Is it necessary to have a new checkbox "Center MOB & Own Ship Markers on Own Ship"?
It would also be better if CPA calcs took ship GPS location and size into account when under say 1 nm.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 16:58   #2447

Boat: Valiant 42

We should not fall into the trap of thinking CPA computations are accurate enough that the size of either ship and GPS antenna location is significant.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 19:41   #2448

Autorouting like my Garmin only better for sailboats would be awesome.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 00:37   #2449
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Study and/or test the weather routing plug-in.
Is for this purpose.
Falling short recognizing complex shorelines or hazards as it does not contemplate the information from vector charts. Relies on the background map.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 18:17   #2450

Agreed, and I don't think the user should know anything about it, but I don't think there is a good reason the calculation should not be more accurate using the gps location for both boats at lesser distances, I think that if the information is available, it should be used at lesser distances.

Quote:
We should not fall into the trap of thinking CPA computations are accurate enough that the size of either ship and GPS antenna location is significant.
Old 09-11-2017, 18:22   #2451

Routing time interval setting is a significant factor when recognizing complex shorelines & islands. The experienced user understands this factor, and will often hone into a routing with smaller intervals or a adjustment of the finish point.

Suggest you post your suggestions in the weather_routing_pi tracker or in issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Study and/or test the weather routing plug-in.
Is for this purpose.
Falling short recognizing complex shorelines or hazards as it does not contemplate the information from vector charts. Relies on the background map.
Old 13-11-2017, 13:04   #2452
Moo

I'd like to able to change the COG and HDG predictor lines to alternate colours for use when navigating with satellite images. Say yellow and light green or something similar as these colours are known to show up well on satellite imagery. Preferably have it a user selectable colour.

It may be possible to do this already but I can find anything in the ships settings or in the INI file.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 13:23   #2453

Moo maybe you should enter this in tracker. Also say why you want to do this, not just what you want to do, what is the problem that this will fix?, and vote for it. Thanks.
Old 14-11-2017, 14:24   #2454
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Moo maybe you should enter this in tracker. Also say why you want to do this, not just what you want to do, what is the problem that this will fix?, and vote for it. Thanks.
I thought I did explain why. Because different colours show up better on satellite images. There is no need to discuss this it is know, ask any GIS person. The current dark red is virtually invisible over some satellite images especially when the light is strong or at the other end of the spectrum when you have everything dimmed down very low at night.

It would also help with accesibility for people with colour vision problems.

I'll try to enter it on the tracker
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 14:26   #2455

A feature or plugin to monitor crew smartphones connected to the same wifi router as the opencpn pc so that signal loss resulted in an alarm and mob waypoint? It would obviously require a small app but crew already has the hardware required.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 05:44   #2456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
A feature or plugin to monitor crew smartphones connected to the same wifi router as the opencpn pc so that signal loss resulted in an alarm and mob waypoint? It would obviously require a small app but crew already has the hardware required.

Good idea, I’ve been thinking of this for a while but don’t have the skills to write it. If you do that with Bluetooth rather than WiFi then you won’t need an app to be running on the phone and it will use considerably less power on the phone too. The phone will just have to be paired with the boats computer.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 06:47   #2457

This can probably be better done as a standalone app. For phones connected to wifi a simple ping test will tell an app if the device is on and connected to the wifi router. No app is needed on the phone. There are other network discovery tools that phones can respond to without a phone app running. But I don't see the value in adding this to OpenCPN. It would seem it can more easily be done as a standalone app. Have you checked if such an app is already available?
Old 15-11-2017, 07:20   #2458

Is there an external signal (eg a specific NMEA 0183 sentence) that can alert OoenCpn to a MOB situation, set off the alarms and mark a waypoint?
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 08:35   #2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
Is there an external signal (eg a specific NMEA 0183 sentence) that can alert OoenCpn to a MOB situation, set off the alarms and mark a waypoint?
it's not plain NMEA but Ocpn can use AIS messages for MOB.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 09:38   #2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post

There are NMEA messages for MOB. There are devices that send these by EAS or DSC systems. DSC uses VHF radios and EAS uses dedicated receivers. OpenCPN already handles these messages. There are personal devices on the market that can send the appropriate MOB message wirelessly to all nearby receivers.