Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 05:10   #2341

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Feature Requests

Terry,

What do you want to see if the vessel is anchored?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:22   #2342

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Terry,

What do you want to see if the vessel is anchored?
The same as shown on OpenCPN. A black dot superimposed over the triangle.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:56   #2343
Marine Service Provider

About GRIB files download in OPENCPN, is there a development regarding the integration of weather data with a Great Circle / Squid subscription ?

Would be nice to have also this source of weather info in OPEN CPN

It is already integrated in qtVLM for instance (Adrena, Expedition & ScanNav)
mdelatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 17:45   #2344

Re: Chart orientation, display a compass rose

Is there a feature or perhaps a plugin that will display a "compass rose" on top of the chart...?

Similarly, is there a feature or a plugin that will display a "Scale" (ruler) on the chart indicating how far 1NM is? Presumably if we can put range rings around marks, then we know how far 1NM is, and a "linear scale" indicating 1/5/10/50 NM as appropriate for the current chart scale would be possible?
captpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 19:38   #2345

Boat: Valiant 42

When using OpenCPN for planning most people set the north up mode. When out on the water moving about with GPS connected you can turn on the dashboard compass and it will show as a digital compass almost like a rose. But it won't superimpose onto the chart.

Are you new to the program? If so, try some of the features like the measure tool. It takes just a second to measure off a distance and bearing from one point to another. It makes the use of a compass rose and ruler pretty much not needed.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 00:08   #2346

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpat View Post
.............. is there a feature or a plugin that will display a "Scale" (ruler) on the chart indicating how far 1NM is? ..............
Captpat....
Yes there is but you've to edit the config file and add a line to the "[Settings]" part of it:
UseSimplifiedScalebar=1
The screen shoots show the scale bar and a config file example.

If you're new to OCPN, BTW; very welcome, here are some hints to edit the config file:
The config file is named differently dependent on the used system. In Windows: opencpn.ini, in Linux opencpn.conf..... You'll find your config file name and location if you click the "?" icon in the OCPN Tools meny. Tab "About": "Config file location:...."
Open the config file in a text editor like Notepad. (Not a word processor!) Add the setting on a new row anywhere in the "[Settings]" section and save the file.

Here are some other hints for the config file:
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...uration_file&s[]=config

Good luck
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scalebar.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	155537   Click image for larger version

Name:	inihack.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	155538  

Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 00:25   #2347

Boat: Najad 34

captpat...
Just a late aforethought;
Before you add a new row to the config file make sure it's not already there!
Search for "UseSimplifiedScalebar". If a match change the setting to "=1".
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:00   #2348
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

And don't edit the config file while OpenCPN is running.
Else your changes will be overwritten at closing OpenCPN.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:46   #2349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Captpat....
Yes there is but you've to edit the config file and add a line to the "[Settings]" part of it:
UseSimplifiedScalebar=1
The screen shoots show the scale bar and a config file example.

If you're new to OCPN, BTW; very welcome, here are some hints to edit the config file:
The config file is named differently dependent on the used system. In Windows: opencpn.ini, in Linux opencpn.conf..... You'll find your config file name and location if you click the "?" icon in the OCPN Tools meny. Tab "About": "Config file location:...."
Open the config file in a text editor like Notepad. (Not a word processor!) Add the setting on a new row anywhere in the "[Settings]" section and save the file.

Here are some other hints for the config file:
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...uration_file&s[]=config

Good luck
Håkan
@hakan: Thanks! I added this line, it did not exist, in the .ini file and the simplified scaling bar appeared. I was NOT able to scale the FONT used for this element - apparently it's not in the list of fonts in the 4.8 tools/display dialogue for setting various UI element sizes/colors etc. Not sure if it's possible with another .ini setting? I'd like to make it larger and move it towards the center of the screen. Thanks, CaptPat
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05   #2350

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
When using OpenCPN for planning most people set the north up mode. When out on the water moving about with GPS connected you can turn on the dashboard compass and it will show as a digital compass almost like a rose. But it won't superimpose onto the chart.

Are you new to the program? If so, try some of the features like the measure tool. It takes just a second to measure off a distance and bearing from one point to another. It makes the use of a compass rose and ruler pretty much not needed.
I am new to OpenCPN - have used many other navigators/pilots over the years - I typically run about 24 knots in a 34 ft power cruiser - Raymarine ST6000+ AP, Raymarine 150G AP control computer with integrated gyro, ST100 remote control for course adjustment, and a Bennett auto-trim system on the tabs to aid the AP. At that speed it's important that minimal pilot inputs are needed to maintain situational awareness over fairly long distances (5-10NM since sea conditions may not allow direct manipulation of UI elements beyond a quick zoom in/out or re-center if needed) . I interface via SeaTalk to NMEA converter to a Windows 7 64-bit PC, with AIS Rcvr on Serial, 150G (output for AP sentences) on Serial Out, and NMEA IN from a Raymarine RL70CRC radar/chart that has integrated E85001 NMEA bridge device - limited, but it mostly works. Helm Display is an SVD XGA device at 1kx768 operating as a second monitor for the laptop, and input devices I've used have included touch screens, wireless mice and keyboards, "presenter" devices like handheld trackballs, and membrane wired keypads - I have never been able to use "measure" features while the boat is cruising as the motion is too great and the attention of the pilot is needed elsewhere.

I believe a semi-transparent compass rose overlay is an improvement over the GPS Course indicator window as it does not obscure the chart features and is integrated in a way that is consistent with existing paper charts.

Can a Compass Rose be implemented as a plugin?

Best, CaptPat
Old 07-09-2017, 11:20   #2351

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Can a Compass Rose be implemented as a plugin?
You have used the dashboard-plugin already? Is it not sufficient?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:36   #2352

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Hello CaptPat,

I second your idea.

I realize it's not quite (or maybe not at all..) what you are asking for, but I found something on this website

https://uelze.de/CSC/kompass_en.html

It is a freeware program that draws a transparent compass-rose on your screen.
Have a look at it...

Maybe a starting-point for some plugin?

Regards,
Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:10   #2353

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
You have used the dashboard-plugin already? Is it not sufficient?

Gerhard

I did try it, but was not able to find a number of data items...
I did find SOG, COG, and VMG - but not TTG (time to go to next waypoint), RTTG (full route time to go), DST (distance to next waypoint?), or Route DST - distance to last waypoint), or ETA (local time/date)...

I typically display 8 TXT variables in a "custom" panel when on AP so that i can quickly determine critical aspects of route progress - without touching the computer or display - I would like the dashboard itself to be semi-transparent with a configurable background color, border color and width, and a tranparency slide to control the blend on display... but not sure if that's even possible for a plugin...

Best, CaptPat
Old 07-09-2017, 16:01   #2354

Quote:
I did find SOG, COG, and VMG - but not TTG (time to go to next waypoint), RTTG (full route time to go), DST (distance to next waypoint?), or Route DST - distance to last waypoint), or ETA (local time/date)...

I typically display 8 TXT variables in a "custom" panel when on AP so that i can quickly determine critical aspects of route progress - without touching the computer or display - I would like the dashboard itself to be semi-transparent with a configurable background color, border color and width, and a tranparency slide to control the blend on display... but not sure if that's even possible for a plugin...

Best, CaptPat
Gerhard - I see that the 4 element Green/Black Active Route status window is able to show Time and Distance to next waypoint OR total for Route if toggled. It would be great if all of these variables could be accessed by the Dashboard plugin - and when a route became active the Active Route status box could be supressed (globally via route preference setting...)?
Best, CaptPat
Old 07-09-2017, 16:41   #2355

Quote:

Best, CaptPat
The attached Image is my current Dashboard... I would like to get the active route data displayed in this list or in another column in this same format. It would also be better if the Dashboard could be semi-transparent as well since it takes up valuable screen space from charts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	155626