Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 07:19   #1591

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Example please use early twilight with the screen!
early twilight Nowhere in ECS!

ENC on maps I do not see any action early twilight.
The main problem is the Night mode that prevents frame not completely darkening OS interface
I get different effects with ENC and RNC charts. I'm not sure that the ENC/Night Mode/Button bar is bright enough to ruin my night vision, but it's brighter than the RNC version.

The other thing I noticed is that the second step is different between ENC and RNC. The RNC dims noticeably and colors darken but don't reverse, and the ENC goes to the reversed color scheme where deep sea areas are dark blue and shallow areas are lighter blue. Kind of like what Garmin does automatically at sunset.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:19   #1592
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Support GLONASS receivers
FS#1356
AFAIK there are no GLONASS specific NMEA 0183 sentences.
At least GNSS devices that support GPS, GLONASS, the Chinese variant and perhaps in some distant day GALILEO do not output different sentences, even when they get their information from the different satellite systems.

In the flyspray entry you refer to a $GL header, which comes in play for the GNS message when GPS and GLONASS or just GLONASS is used.
Then the mode field for GLONASS will have some (reasonable) content.
GNS is not implemented.

Quote:
GNS message fields
Field Meaning
0 Message ID $--GNS
Talker ID can be:
GP: To provide information specific to the GPS constellation when more than one constellation is used for the differential position fix
GL: To provide information specific to the GLONASS constellation when more than one constellation is used for the differential position fix
GN: GNSS position fix from more than one constellation (eg. GPS + GLONASS)

1 UTC of position fix
2 Latitude
3 Direction of latitude:
N: North
S: South
4 Longitude
5 Direction of longitude:
E: East
W: West
6 Mode indicator:
Variable character field with one character for each supported constellation.
First character is for GPS
Second character is for GLONASS
Subsequent characters will be added for new constellation
Each character will be one of the following:
N = No fix. Satellite system not used in position fix, or fix not valid
A = Autonomous. Satellite system used in non-differential mode in position fix
D = Differential (including all OmniSTAR services). Satellite system used in differential mode in position fix
P = Precise. Satellite system used in precision mode. Precision mode is defined as: no deliberate degradation (such as Selective Availability) and higher resolution code (P-code) is used to compute position fix
R = Real Time Kinematic. Satellite system used in RTK mode with fixed integers
F = Float RTK. Satellite system used in real time kinematic mode with floating integers
E = Estimated (dead reckoning) Mode
M = Manual Input Mode
S = Simulator Mode
7 Number of SVs in use, range 00–99
8 HDOP calculated using all the satellites (GPS, GLONASS, and any future satellites) used in computing the solution reported in each GNS sentence.
9 Orthometric height in meters (MSL reference)
10 Geoidal separation in meters - the difference between the earth ellipsoid surface and mean-sea-level (geoid) surface defined by the reference datum used in the position solution
“-” = mean-sea-level surface below ellipsoid.
11 Age of differential data - Null if talker ID is GN, additional GNS messages follow with GP and/or GL Age of differential data
12 Reference station ID1, range 0000-4095
- Null if talker ID is GN, additional GNS messages follow with GP and/or GL Reference station ID
13 The checksum data, always begins with *
Do you refer to this message type?
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:31   #1593

Quote:
Example please use early twilight with the screen!
"Early twilight" was my own terminology. I do not know what the developers call it.

The four separate brighness levels show up very clearly when viewing RNC raster charts:

Quote:
The main problem is the Night mode that prevents frame not completely darkening OS interface
I agree that this is the main problem. But the frame color is controlled by the OS, not O. Have you tried adjusting your frame color in your OS? In Windows 7, this is done here:

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 08:05   #1594

It turns out that this option is valid only on raster.
I think that the "Early twilight" for raster looks better than color because origenalny more contrasting color.
Still believe that the "Early twilight" with ENC imply that any glitch worked!

Of course I tried to change the settings to personalize the OS design
In our case it is necessary to apply a dark background. But how, then, then use computer-controlled. Customize every time is not an option!
This frame is all worthlessness!
I read that the Night mode CPN as Dimmer requires a lot of improvements!
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 10:14   #1595

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
"Early twilight" was my own terminology. I do not know what the developers call it.

The four separate brighness levels show up very clearly when viewing RNC raster charts:

I agree that this is the main problem. But the frame color is controlled by the OS, not O. Have you tried adjusting your frame color in your OS? In Windows 7, this is done here:

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance
The four levels are the default level, the daylight level (with stronger contrasts), dawn/dusk and night. These levels are available in NOAA:s raster charts, while for example the publisher of the Swedish raster charts includes just the default levels. This is when the dimming (F6) and the monochromatic colors (Ctrl + G ) are the only alternatives.
These two alternatives also works for vector charts of course.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 09:31   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I was wondering if a field for average daily cruising hours could be added to the route manager.
On a coastal trip one might just want to sail during daylight or on a holiday just for a few hours.
As it has been already pointed out, an average for daily hours underway translates by simple arithmetics into a (lower) average speed or - more commonly - an average for number of miles per day.

Here the route tool that Mike (Rasbats) started some time ago (converting routes and tracks with wpts set every N miles) would be handy. I hope it will be available one day...
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44   #1597

Hello!!

Is it posible to input MARK botun in toolbar
( I'am sport fisherman and I would like to quickly mark position when something interested is shown on my sounder )

and can it be programed to make tracking line change color depending on
bottom depth
it would be grat for finding good fishing spots

best regards
skroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 13:38   #1598

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroza View Post
Hello!!
( I'am sport fisherman and I would like to quickly mark position when something interested is shown on my sounder )

bottom depth
best regards
skroza...
The mark issue would be easy, you may found a useful existing hotkey:
Code:
Marks and Waypoints

• Ctrl + O Drops a Marker at current GPS position.
  • Ctrl + M and Enter Drops Marker at current cursor position.
  • Ctrl + Y Redo Mark/waypoint* create, move or delete.
  • Ctrl + Z Undo* Mark/waypoint create, move or delete.
(See the wiki for more keys. Use the help button or this link: OpenCPN User Manual)

The depth dependent tracking line colour could possible be programmed but has to be requested using the Tracker system. OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist Please read more about that system here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1327968
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:16   #1599

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroza View Post
Hello!!

bottom depth

best regards
The MOB button drops a mark, and can be used repeatedly. Of course some confusion may result if you have a real MOB.

You might want to use the right click to drop a waypoint. This requires 2 clicks but is easier to remember than shortcuts.

Coloring the track according to depth is interesting, esp if determined by NMEA data. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:55   #1600

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I think it would be more interesting to color the track based on speed.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 08:20   #1601
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Added entry in Flyspray:
FS#1392 - Color channel for routes and tracks

Add color channel to tracks and routes -
for instance depth, might also be speed, wind direction, wind speed.....
Depth would be handy for route planning.

Route instances are chart related, in the case of track actual data might be used.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 10:59   #1602

On the "Route Properties" pop-up it would be nice if it showed the estimated time for each leg of the route, as well as the cumulative total that it shows now.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 12:13   #1603

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
On the "Route Properties" pop-up it would be nice if it showed the estimated time for each leg of the route, as well as the cumulative total that it shows now.
Hi Denverd0n,

Did you try to activate a route ?, you will be able to get that kind of information for a segment or for the route;

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 08:06   #1604

How am I able to get that information? Even when I activate the route, the properties pop-up still only shows the cumulative ETE, and not the the ETE for each leg. Is there some setting that I'm missing?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:18   #1605

Thanks to the improvements made to O's rendering of ENC charts (especially rounding off depth soundings to integer feed), I am starting to use ENC instead of RNC raster.

It does bother me a bit, though, that buoys that are red, green, and yellow (for anchoring) are rendered in exactly the same color as the red, green, and yellow AIS targets. It would be nice for the user to be able to select a different hue or saturation for each, so you can quickly tell the difference between a buoy and ship. I would probably make buoys a little darker, and leave the AIS targets in their current attention-getting brightness.

If you don't want to clutter up the settings dialog with this, I would be fine adjusting this setting in the .ini file using RGB or HSL parameters (decimal or hex). It's something that I would set it once and leave it.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote