Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 02:51   #2311

Boat: Valiant 42
Feature Requests

Ron,

You can create multiple groups of instruments and name each group within Dashboard. You can create as many of these as you like. You can display some or all of the instrument groups. But each group has to be either horizontal or vertical. So visually you can get what you want.

The configurations are all stored in the OpenCPN configuration file. In Windows it is OpenCPN.ini. In Linux it is opencpn.conf. So you could set up a cruising configuration and then save the configuration file in a safe place. Then create another configuration and save that as well. Then to switch configurations it is a simple matter to restore the desired configuration to whichever one is desired.

There is another way that is even simpler. Look up the portable option in the documentation. You can set up multiple portable configurations and then create a desktop icon for each one. Then just run the configuration you wish at any time. It takes a few minutes to set up each portable configuration but once done it is easy to start whichever one you like. Many people do it this way.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 10:51   #2312

Re: Feature Requests

Dan,
Great! that was the info I was looking for. I will have to read up on how to do this, but knowing it can be done is the first step.

As I mentioned elsewhere (disclaimer: I have no financial interest in KBOX), I have a Kbox on my boat that takes all my NMEA 0183 data , my AIS data from the radio (as well as any NMEA 2000 data - but I don't have any) and several sensors on the KBOX (temp, barometer, roll, pitch and yaw sensors, voltage monitoring) and pushes this out on a TCP/IP network (can be secured) which is read quite nicely by OpenCPN. Right now I am running OpenCPN on a laptop, but I hope to get it running on a Raspberry Pi or on an Android tablet (they are cheap) soon.

thanks again,
Ron
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 18:17   #2313

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
Dan,
Great! that was the info I was looking for. I will have to read up on how to do this, but knowing it can be done is the first step.

As I mentioned elsewhere (disclaimer: I have no financial interest in KBOX), I have a Kbox on my boat that takes all my NMEA 0183 data , my AIS data from the radio (as well as any NMEA 2000 data - but I don't have any) and several sensors on the KBOX (temp, barometer, roll, pitch and yaw sensors, voltage monitoring) and pushes this out on a TCP/IP network (can be secured) which is read quite nicely by OpenCPN. Right now I am running OpenCPN on a laptop, but I hope to get it running on a Raspberry Pi or on an Android tablet (they are cheap) soon.

thanks again,
Ron
I like the idea of the Kbox. A bit pricey but not bad considering all that it does. If it would translate Raymarine SeaTalk I data it would be a great addition to my boat.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 20:57   #2314

According to this page:
https://hackaday.io/project/11055-kbox

One of the NMEA inputs can be used to input Seatalk data.

Ron
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 04:13   #2315

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I believe kbox can accept a seatalk input see https://www.tindie.com/products/sarf...-boat-gateway/

Also vyacht is another one that does similar things http://vyacht.net/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 10:46   #2316

Does anyone remember how to change the appearance of the soundings on S57 Charts?
I have updated to version 4.6.2 of transmitterdan and need to adjust the soundings appearance.
Bye and thanks.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 18:22   #2317

I found the way to do it.
Bye
Old 23-07-2017, 07:36   #2318

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

P_Dub
Would be far more helpful to others who are new to explain WHAT you did.
Just a suggestion.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 11:00   #2319

Before there was a line in the (.ini) file, which was probably removed by inadvertance. Now if you chance the value of the :- Charts, vector display,
safety depth = to say 300 feet (or whatever if in meters) you will have the soundings numbers in darker figure. Unfortunately there seems to be no
other way in OpenCpn. This is one of the features I had ask a few times, without obtaining answer. Thank you if it does it.
Best regards and thank you for this great program.
P_Dub
Old 28-07-2017, 06:19   #2320

Hi. I don't know if I'm in the right forum as I am talking Android. I was hoping for the climatology plugin to be available in Android for history on hurricanes and wind for long distance voyages as I operate Worldwide Yacht Deliveries. Also the dAISy AIS dual channel unit now comes with a Bluetooth plug in. I have been unable to find out if OpenCPN Android will read this and if so how to configure the connection??? Lastly great charts are Transas for Android and IOS but their chartplotter app is lacking. One wonders if it were possible to strike a deal with them for OpenCPN to read their charts. Their app is for free so they are only interested in selling the charts. They have large areas well priced. For long distances their charts are way better than Navionics and don't take up too much sdcard space. Captain Ian Engelbrecht.
wwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 06:26   #2321
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwyd View Post
Lastly great charts are Transas for Android and IOS but their chartplotter app is lacking. One wonders if it were possible to strike a deal with them for OpenCPN to read their charts. Their app is for free so they are only interested in selling the charts. They have large areas well priced. For long distances their charts are way better than Navionics and don't take up too much sdcard space. Captain Ian Engelbrecht.
Ian,

we have been in contact with Transas and it seems that they just need some push to get on track. So push them - and aim high at their organization.
From OpenCPN we have the infrastructure at o-charts to deal with such a co-operation.
I have a question regarding ZA charts. Can you drop me a mail perhaps?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 06:33   #2322

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Ian,

we have been in contact with Transas and it seems that they just need some push to get on track. So push them - and aim high at their organization.
From OpenCPN we have the infrastructure at o-charts to deal with such a co-operation.
I have a question regarding ZA charts. Can you drop me a mail perhaps?

Hubert
Hi Hubert. Thank you for your response. I will be happy to mail you but I dunno how to find your address. You can mail me at ian@worldwideyachtdeliveries.co.za

I will mail Transas and push the issue.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:48   #2323

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwyd View Post

(...)

I have been unable to find out if OpenCPN Android will read this and if so how to configure the connection?

(...)
Just like any other BT connection on OpenCPN. There is a menu entry in OpenCPN named Connections (the spanner button / Connections / Add).

Mind the devices must be active and paired.

Frankly, I would steer clear away from BT devices (GPS, AIS, nav data) as pairing and activating seems to be a case of hit and miss, both on Android and other systems (Windows, in my case).

I have built and Android GPS sender and an Android AIS decoder/plotter and for my own use I made then available on wifi, not on BT.

Maybe different Androids and devices have more luck but to me fighting odd BT challenges is not what I want to do when a ship is approaching.

Short answer: OpenCPN handles BT devices like gps, ais, nav isntruments. Tried tested and found working.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 05:17   #2324

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just like any other BT connection on OpenCPN. There is a menu entry in OpenCPN named Connections (the spanner button / Connections / Add).

Frankly, I would steer clear away from BT devices (GPS, AIS, nav data) as pairing and activating seems to be a case of hit and miss, both on Android and other systems (Windows, in my case).

I have built and Android GPS sender and an Android AIS decoder/plotter and for my own use I made then available on wifi, not on BT.

Maybe different Androids and devices have more luck but to me fighting odd BT challenges is not what I want to do when a ship is approaching.

Short answer: OpenCPN handles BT devices like gps, ais, nav isntruments. Tried tested and found working.

Cheers,
b.
Okay. Thank you. I have had two questions answered so far. I know the status now of Transas charts and know I can have access to Bluetooth AIS. I would also rather do wifi but units are very costly. I can do Bluetooth very cheaply. Personally I have had no problems pairing on Windows or Android on BT. Maybe a problem some people have is you must ensure the devices are visible to each other before pairing. In settings to protect privacy your device may be visible, not or temporarily visible. Anyway I am still waiting for my hardware to arrive so will test it out. Once paired normally devices pair automatically after that even if visibility is off.

The only question left I have - hopefully someone of importance will read this - I hope to get the Climatology plugin to be Android compatible. I used that plugin extensively on Windows.
Old 30-07-2017, 04:25   #2325

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Cheers,
b.
Okay. See now what you are talking about with pairing and needing an app for managing BT. You are right. No Bluetooth for me. I have already ordered some wifi modules.