Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2023, 12:14   #1

Boat: Lidwall
Connecting to NMEA 2000 Network

From what I can see in the patch notes OpenCPN 5.8.* support NMEA 2000 but there does not seem to be much documentation about it. What I'm trying to figure out is how I can connect my computer to my NMEA 2000 network so that OpenCPN can red the NMEA data. Specifically I want to use my Ray63 VHF as a GPS source.

Does anyone have any recommendations how I should connect my computer?
HaNaK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 13:27   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Connecting to NMEA 2000 Network

Does your boat have a working NMEA2000 network with the VHF connected to it?
If yes, by far the easiest way is with a wireless gateway such as the Yacht Devices YDWG-02 or the Actisence W2k-1.

Both of these would actually convert the NMEA2000 to NMEA0183. NMEA2000 doesn't work via wifi
Old 20-09-2023, 04:29   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Or if you don't have a wifi router on the boat you can connect to a N2k bus via a USB connection on the PC:
Two solid and easy to handle devices: YDNU-02 or Actisense NGT-1-USB

Lycka till
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 07:08   #4

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNaK0 View Post
From what I can see in the patch notes OpenCPN 5.8.* support NMEA 2000 but there does not seem to be much documentation about it. What I'm trying to figure out is how I can connect my computer to my NMEA 2000 network so that OpenCPN can red the NMEA data. Specifically I want to use my Ray63 VHF as a GPS source.

Does anyone have any recommendations how I should connect my computer?
You need some sort of CAN adapter to USB. However, that can be complicated. I also recommend the YDNU-02. Makes getting data into a PC easy and they are much less expensive than the Antisense products.

Even better, use the YDWG-02. It essentially creates a WiFi access point on your N2K network. You connect to if wirelessly and the interface is much easier to use than the one on the USB version, which requires a terminal connection. There is also the YDEN-02, which connects via and ethernet connection. All are great products and will really change the way you navigate.

https://yachtdevicesus.com/collectio...ys-and-routers
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 09:01   #5

Maybe "old fashioned" but for essential connections like GNSS, heading and maybe AIS I prefer a physical wire instead of a not so robust wifi connection. So: YDNU-02 (USB)
Old 26-09-2023, 10:02   #6

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Maybe "old fashioned" but for essential connections like GNSS, heading and maybe AIS I prefer a physical wire instead of a not so robust wifi connection. So: YDNU-02 (USB)

Never had any issues with mine, however I u destined your concern. The YDEN-02 has a built-in router, so you can have multiple Ethernet device by adding an inexpensive network switch.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 10:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I switched the other way, from USB to wifi for the same reason. USB connectors are cheap tin plated steel. Within a year offshore, the USB connector on my antisense, as will as the USB port on my laptop both rusted and stopped working. I now use dielectric grease, but the damage was done. If it wasn't USB I would agree with you, but USB is a crappy connection for use on a boat.

I have 10's of thousands of miles with wifi. It is rock solid. It also works with my phones and tablets. Not ever going back to USB.
Old 26-09-2023, 10:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarns View Post
You need some sort of CAN adapter to USB. However, that can be complicated. I also recommend the YDNU-02. Makes getting data into a PC easy and they are much less expensive than the Antisense products.

Even better, use the YDWG-02. It essentially creates a WiFi access point on your N2K network. You connect to if wirelessly and the interface is much easier to use than the one on the USB version, which requires a terminal connection. There is also the YDEN-02, which connects via and ethernet connection. All are great products and will really change the way you navigate.

https://yachtdevicesus.com/collectio...ys-and-routers
It is worth noting that if you use any wireless gateway (which is what I recommend) then you can't use NMEA2000. You need the gateway to convert it to NMEA0183.

OpenCPN only supports NMEA2000 over a few wired devices, and no ethernet or wifi devices.
Old 26-09-2023, 10:25   #9

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
OpenCPN only supports NMEA2000 over a few wired devices, and no ethernet or wifi devices.

Is there a list of these somewhere ?
Old 26-09-2023, 10:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdempsey View Post
Not that I have seen. I think the 0183 support is much more functional right now. There isn't really any reason I can think of to you N2k until they get it a bit more sorted.
Old 26-09-2023, 11:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdempsey View Post
You may look back in this thread. YDNU-02 and Actisense are well tested. There are a few more I've tested like ShipModule, Maritron, Quark.
I'd say the price and availability may guide.
Most does also convert from N2k to N0183 if so desired but all devices are not supporting the same sentences.

BTW: If you happens to run SignalK these cheap one are also working. (Will probably be direct supported by OCPN on next release) TwoCan plugin can also extend the list.
Old 26-09-2023, 11:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
the USB port on my laptop both rusted and stopped working. I now use dielectric grease, but the damage was done. If it wasn't USB I would agree with you, but USB is a crappy connection for use on a boat.
It's crappy and neither electronics like salt water mist. I do agree. Enclosed connections and/or dielectric grease or pure petroleum jelly will extend survival. I use the latter for each and every electrical joint.
Old 26-09-2023, 12:35   #13

Documentation is not one of OpenCPN's strong points.

Even the original announcement of the beta release of OpenCPN 5.7.1 failed to mention what NMEA 2000 network adapters were supported.
Quote:
Integrated support of NMEA2000 device interfaces
For a direct connection to a NMEA 2000 Network, OpenCPN supports the following adapters on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux):
  • Actisense NGT-1
  • Yacht Devices YDNU-02
Additionally on Linux, any CAN Bus adapter that supports the SocketCAN interface is also supported.

There is no support for NMEA 2000 over Wi-Fi or Ethernet as there is no recognized standard .for transmitting NMEA 2000 binary data over TCP/IP.

As others have mentioned, there are many gateways that connect directly to a NMEA 2000 network, convert the data from NMEA 2000 to NMEA 183 and retransmit over Wi-Fi or Ethernet using TCP or UDP. A benefit of this approach is that many other devices such as PC's & Tablets, running a variety of software such as OpenCPN, Navionics, connected to the gateway's WiFi network, can consume the converted NMEA 183 data.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 17:15   #14

You can build your own USB wired NMEA 2000 gateway equivalent of NGT using

https://github.com/bareboat-necessit...-usb-gw-m5atom
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 11:29   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Documentation is not one of OpenCPN's strong points.

Even the original announcement of the beta release of OpenCPN 5.7.1 failed to mention what NMEA 2000 network adapters were supported.

For a direct connection to a NMEA 2000 Network, OpenCPN supports the following adapters on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux):
  • Actisense NGT-1
  • Yacht Devices YDNU-02
Additionally on Linux, any CAN Bus adapter that supports the SocketCAN interface is also supported.

There is no support for NMEA 2000 over Wi-Fi or Ethernet as there is no recognized standard .for transmitting NMEA 2000 binary data over TCP/IP.

As others have mentioned, there are many gateways that connect directly to a NMEA 2000 network, convert the data from NMEA 2000 to NMEA 183 and retransmit over Wi-Fi or Ethernet using TCP or UDP. A benefit of this approach is that many other devices such as PC's & Tablets, running a variety of software such as OpenCPN, Navionics, connected to the gateway's WiFi network, can consume the converted NMEA 183 data.

Agreed, there is not much documentation for N2k with Opencpn. Since the manual has been generally created and maintained by Users and Programmers, I think we should start this effort by writing what is known somewhere, anywhere. Right here in this thread is fine. Then someone needs to gather the tidbits, summarize and present a completed section for review.

After that it is quite easy to add it to the manual and provide some screenshots if needed. I don't see this information getting into the manual in any other way.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
network, nmea, nmea 2000, work