Hello all OpenCPN
Here we begin the formal Beta Test of OpenCPN
5.7.1. This Beta test series will result in the Production release of OpenCPN 5.8.0, in a few weeks.
This Release contains many upgrades. Most of the changes are behind the scenes, and contribute to improved overall code reliability
and maintainability. But there are many new features as well.
Here are some of the new visible features and functions to be offered in O580:
1. Integrated support of NMEA2000 device interfaces.
2. Improved comm port prioritization system.
3. Improved graphics drivers, providing better performance and platform compatibility.
4. Network client/server model to allow secure transfer of nav objects from one OCPN computer to another with simple UI.
The objective of these Beta tests is two-fold:
1. Verify existing functions perform as expected, searching for what we call "regression errors".
2. Test new functionality with all possible hardware
configurations, even some that might be non-sense in real life.
Plugins: Several plugins are available for this Beta releases from the OpenCPN master (default) catalog. More plugins may be found in the OpenCPN "Beta" plugin
catalog. As testing proceeds, beta plugins will be migrated to the master catalog as they are verified.
This basic code base has been extensively tested by a team of Alpha testers, who also participated in the resolution of bugs at the code level.
However, I expect the first wide exposure Beta test will surface a number of errors as the test base is expanded. This is normal, and should not be discouraging. We will just work
the issues as they surface, one by one.
Here are the MacOS and Windows installers.
: The linux
packages are available as usual in the OpenCPN Beta repository:
Beta build available now. Version identifier is: "5.7.1-1+a4e630b"
$ flatpak install --user https://flathub.org/beta-repo/appstr...CPN.flatpakref
$ flatpak run org.opencpn.OpenCPN//beta
For local builders, the source code is in github, on branch "master" at tag: "Beta_5.7.1_1"
Good Luck, thanks for your help