Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2017, 02:37   #1

Android Tablet - NMEA - BLUETOOTH

Firstly I would like to praise everyone who has been involved with OpenCPN. I think it's brilliant and the support is second to none! Excellent!

QUESTION!
Does anyone know of a low cost way to communicate with serial devices from an Android Tablet running OpenCPN, possibly using WIFI or BLUETOOTH?

BACKGROUND
I have been using OpenCPN successfully for a number of years on a small notebook running LINUX (Ubuntu) with NMEA AIS & GPS (from NASA AIS3 engine) through a serial to USB converter.
This has been my backup to an ageing Raymarine C80 classic with ST60's and ST6000 autopilot. The laptop is inside the boat, the C80 etc outside.

I now also have an Android tablet, running OpenCPN with CM93 charts loaded on SD using the built in GPS - seems to work fine. I would like to use this both inside and outside (portable).

I would be nice to be able to view AIS info on the tablet and/or possibly use the tablet to drive the autopilot. I know that AIS output is 38400 baud and the autopilot is 4800 baud (hence the and/or).

I know it may be possible to use USBOTG but this would not give the portability so would prefer bluetooth.

I have seen some low cost Arduino RS232-bluetooth converters - postage stamp priced! but I have no Arduino knowledge. I have a fair bit of electronics background and have done some work with PIC micro's.

Many thanks
Brian
silentwings39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea