Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 12:11   #136

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

What Fishbreath describes is "senile dementia", and it can be very, very hard to deal with someone thus afflicted.

However, we really know nothing about Mahi's skipper, and this little bit of thread drift has no application that we know of to his well being.

Really, the question in my mind is whether he followed through and headed back to Oz, as in did he tell them he would, but then decided to do something different?

Ann

Ann
Old 16-09-2015, 12:26   #137

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
What Fishbreath describes is "senile dementia", and it can be very, very hard to deal with someone thus afflicted.

However, we really know nothing about Mahi's skipper, and this little bit of thread drift has no application that we know of to his well being.

Really, the question in my mind is whether he followed through and headed back to Oz, as in did he tell them he would, but then decided to do something different?

Ann

Ann
Ann,

That's cruel but true. Scary, he only has 6 yrs. on me. Sometimes it comes do what is to be lost. Live life if you can, while you can, as you want.

I wish I had known how some of these young folks cruise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 12:28   #138

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC,

Maybe he turned off the Satphone to save its battery????? Or, do you think it was intentional so he could "hide?"

Ann
It could be the CG gave him the phone so he doesn't have to 'push the button' if he finds himself in trouble. In my optimistic view, not turning it on is a good sign.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 12:31   #139

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
What my post has to do w it is that Jim said the NZ was the only CG that will help an abandoned vessel, which simply wasn't accurate. Did you read the entire thread?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
What I said was that the Kiwi Navy was the only such group that I was aware of that routinely offers such services to a yacht in distress. In the case mentioned, they sent a diver who spent some hours under the boat cutting away the mess of rod rigging, spars and running rigging that encumbered the boat, completely fouling the prop and shaft and rudder. This in addition to performing emergency surgery on the skipper's wife who had a dreadful facial cut and fractured facial bones, helping clear up the mess below decks, sending a bunch of fuel in jerry cans and supplying a crew member to help motor the boat several days back to Auckland.

I have never heard of the USCG going to such extremes. They are competent and well equipped, and the few experiences we've had with them not unpleasant (but not emergency situations)... albeit long before 9/11 changed their role somewhat. But their mission as I understand it, is more oriented towards life saving than property saving. And nowadays, of course, a more police-like role as well. Great guys doing a hard job, but not so much into fixing up busted yachts.

If you know of instances where the USCG has performed similarly to the Kiwis, we'd all like to hear about them.

Jim
Old 16-09-2015, 12:32   #140

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yup, idiots come in all ages.. I've had two in the galley department.... once after heading out on a 14 day run found we only had 3 onions.....
The other time , 0600 about to depart on a 40 day run.... I notice we have no tomatoes..... I ask the question ..the answer from the one in charge of buying tomatoes ' the shop only had ugly ones.....'
Both mature age and well qualified in their professions but still dills......
I could live without the ugly tomatoes, but having no onions would be a cruise stopper for sure.
Old 16-09-2015, 18:40   #141

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I am thinking of writing a utility that measures thread drift. This thread will be perfect for testing some of the extreme ranges.

On the main subject, RC, you appear to have means of ascertaining progress for our missing man. Any updates, I'm feeling a little on edge.
Old 16-09-2015, 20:08   #142

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I am thinking of writing a utility that measures thread drift. This thread will be perfect for testing some of the extreme ranges.

On the main subject, RC, you appear to have means of ascertaining progress for our missing man. Any updates, I'm feeling a little on edge.
None I'm afraid. His family have not heard from him and neither have the Authorities. Been a week today that he was last heard from. The marina he's believed heading to has not heard nor seen of him either.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 23:11   #143

There's a lot of us out here in Internet land. Let us hold the skipper in our hearts, and hope that he makes the best decision for him and his loved ones.

Ann
Old 17-09-2015, 01:03   #144

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Those familiar with Brisbane area and VHF range, how far on the eastern side of Moreton island or North Stradbroke Island can VHF radio be picked up?

And is VHF available with all of Moreton Bay?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 03:18   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

This is really going to be heartbreaking if the situation ends up turning out badly...

Hopefully the skip will have the good sense to notify "somebody/anybody" upon positive progress...

Or heck... methinks he needs a computer and his likely first CF post...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:11   #146

After watching this unfold.. please post any info.. what is the weather looking like in the location.. thanks
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:06   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Those familiar with Brisbane area and VHF range, how far on the eastern side of Moreton island or North Stradbroke Island can VHF radio be picked up?

And is VHF available with all of Moreton Bay?
Rustic Charm:

It is unlikely that from Caboolture (where Monty's marina is located) you would have good coverage to North Stradbroke, it's a little far for VHF. Basically, there is excellent coverage throughout Moreton Bay.

However, VHF is line of sight, and antenna location (masthead vs. deck level) will have a lot of effect on who hears whom from various locations.

Keep in mind that usually on a boat, the smallest sail is the one in the best condition if all the sails are old. So, if he's reduced to using his storm jib to make progress, and the winds have been light over his course, he easily could take longer than my 80 n. mi. per day original estimate.

His safe arrival in Moreton Bay depends on how he's doing and how the boat is doing. And good luck to him. I hope he gets in soon, and safe and sound.

Ann
Old 17-09-2015, 13:50   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What I said was that the Kiwi Navy was the only such group that I was aware of that routinely offers such services to a yacht in distress. In the case mentioned, they sent a diver who spent some hours under the boat cutting away the mess of rod rigging, spars and running rigging that encumbered the boat, completely fouling the prop and shaft and rudder. This in addition to performing emergency surgery on the skipper's wife who had a dreadful facial cut and fractured facial bones, helping clear up the mess below decks, sending a bunch of fuel in jerry cans and supplying a crew member to help motor the boat several days back to Auckland.

I have never heard of the USCG going to such extremes. They are competent and well equipped, and the few experiences we've had with them not unpleasant (but not emergency situations)... albeit long before 9/11 changed their role somewhat. But their mission as I understand it, is more oriented towards life saving than property saving. And nowadays, of course, a more police-like role as well. Great guys doing a hard job, but not so much into fixing up busted yachts.

If you know of instances where the USCG has performed similarly to the Kiwis, we'd all like to hear about them.

Jim

Jim in the US if you did all of that, You'd probably get sued. I believe they had to pass "Good samaritan laws" years ago as Dr's etc. that stopped to render aid to accident victims were getting sued, but I may have that wrong. Your from California right? I read somewhere that the State of California has more Lawyers that the entire rest of the world, if you subtract the rest of the US. Probably another Urban myth though, those are rampant

Myself I'm pulling for the guy, I didn't think he would abandon his boat, and even if this turns out bad, I applaud the authorities for allowing him to decide his own fate.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:57   #149

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Myself I'm pulling for the guy, I didn't think he would abandon his boat, and even if this turns out bad, I applaud the authorities for allowing him to decide his own fate.

Ditto,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 14:15   #150

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

""I know from experience the problems with provisioning once one passes 65 years of age. Quiet often I look in the fridge, head to the supermarket and come back without the item I went for.""

Old folk are absent mindful and forgetful and if he is on a pension he may not have had the funds to lay in a decent stock of tucker.
One good thing about the memory issue is that your supplies can last longer if you forget to eat lunch...... I seldom forget two meals in a row though and still seem to have a spare tire around my beltline.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht