Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2024, 09:48   #1

Chesapeake - Recommendation for a marina for 62ft sailing catamaran

We are a Sunreef 62 catamaran, 60ft long, 30ft beam, 6ft draft.

We have pretty much circumnavigated having sailed her all the way from French Polynesia. We are currently in the Bahamas, planning to sail north within the next few weeks and aiming for somewhere in the Chesapeake.

We are looking for a suitable marina that can accommodate our beam and draft.

Any recommendation and general area intel that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
CaptainGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 10:03   #2

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Chesapeake - Recommendation for a marina for 62ft sailing catamaran

[Try Cape Charles Yacht Center located in Cape Charles Va. on the east side of the Bay as your enter.. Cape Charles is a great place to visit.. it has 3 marinas and shops and restaurants and beaches... It is near Norfolk and Virginia Beach (30 Min. Drive)

It also has a deep harbor that can accommodate large yachts your size...
Just a thought...
dunphyje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:59   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

If you are looking for a rural, out of the way place that is relatively inexpensive, you could check with Dennis Point Marina on the St. Mary's River off the Potomac River. It is well protected and has deep water. They have a 75 ton travel lift, but I don't know the maximum beam they can accommodate, although they haul many large catamarans. They have a good restaurant, but there is nothing else close by.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:28   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Cobb's or one of the other marinas on Little Creek might take you.

Cobb's says up to 60', and you are close.

Little Creek is at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay southern most side.

The Wind Farm Crew Catamaran docks there at times, and it's huge. (73' x 28') (22.3- by 8.65-metre),

I had my Bristol 27 hauled there recently, and it looked like a small canoe compared to some of the boats docked there.

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/work-b...ore-wind-farm/

https://cobbsmarina.com/location/

https://cobbsmarina.com/slips/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 06:39   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

30 Ft beam is an issue. Maybe a belly lifter at Zimmerman marine https://www.zimmermanmarine.com/mathews-va they go to 32 ft. If you really need a travel lift then the George Town Yacht basin up the Sassafras River has a wide lift, has been through a few management changes in last few years, used to be good. If you don't need a haul out there are many marinas with a T head that will accommodate you. We liked Solomons Is, Calvert Marina, it has long floating docks that will take your boat no problem, reasonably priced for longer stays.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:43   #6

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

We're currently hauled out at Zimmerman Marine in Mathews. They've hauled Lagoon 560's and I know they can do a 30' beam. Not 100 percent on 32' - but the bigger issue is even with the massive expansions they have done over the last 2 years they get full fast. I know we are expecting over 70 cats here this year so even if they could lift you I don't know if they'll have room. Certainly merits a call though!
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:52   #7

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

The Chesapeake is a very large area, do you prefer upper, mid or lower, they all have marinas that can accommodate your boat...hauling out is a different story
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 13:38   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

Hello 👋
If you are interested in the Annapolis area there are many docks that could accommodate. At least on the dock heads.
Liberty marina located in Edgewater Maryland I have used. Situated at the end of navigation on the South River, because of a bridge blocking the balance of the river with maybe 30’ clearance.
Many catamarans are docked in the area, I recalled noticing a 60+ lagoon docked across the river from Liberty.
There are many marinas in and surrounding Annapolis, I’ve docked at several and found it an enjoyable experience. Although anchoring was my preferred option due mainly to cost, the convenience and local attractions were too much to miss. Being in the center of town was nice, many good and often historic eateries were and are available I believe.
Last time I was there was 2015 so my information is a little dated, but I believe it was the first capital of what was to become the United States. Or something like that, anyway probably since it’s been there since then it still is.
Best to all !
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 16:16   #9

If you want to go the upper chesepeake. The sasafrass river is the cleanest on the chesepeake and it's beautifull too. Georgetown yacht haven is a really nice marina. They have big cat slips..
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, men, sail, sailing