Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 12:43   #1186

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Have a little lie down, sounds like you need it...
Meditate.
Become a buddist and you may be lucky enough to be re-incarnated as a cockroach.......
after all it is cockroaches that will inherit the earth,not us humans....
it would appear that you have beat me to it,, even learned to type..
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52   #1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, that’s a ridiculous statement, when I grew up it was the duck and cover generation if you will, and I can assure you that the majority of kids were suffering anxiety thinking that today is the day I might get nuked. I abhor the possibility of nuclear proliferation myself, and I’m sure it’s because I grew up being told that were were the #3 target due to the huge SAC base in town.

US Kids suffered during the first Gulf War, in fact if you look back anxiety was wide spread, and huge numbers of people were addicted to CNN

Anything that makes the parents anxious and the population in general will make the kids anxious, and being militaristic in the protesting doesn’t help.
i think there the difference was that the parents enforced the government paranoia ,
, if you want to talk about kids suffering i suggest you look at ( your examle ) eg , the Gulf Wars,, can you even compare the anxiety of the anerican kid watching CNN and that of the hundreds of thousands of children who lost everything, their homes , their parents , their families , in many cases an arm and a leg , from an american bomb ,,that is real hardship ,, i know who my sympathy goes to .
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56   #1188
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
it would appear that you have beat me to it,, even learned to type..
I would probably beat you in most things
Old 02-12-2019, 13:00   #1189

and while i am here,,, another piece of nonsense from you know who ,,, new boats and their carbon foot print ( ok i am not familiar with his social status or what his mix is ) but in my marina out of the people i know there is only one new boat and all of the people that i know who would like a boat do not even consider a new boat ., i accept that many people would like a nice new boat , but that is not a problem apart for those who are stuck in a time warp,, nowadays it is perfectly possible to make plastic from recycled plastic, some places are already producing new plastic from old,, all that is needed is the much repeated phrase " new direction ",,lots of money , lots of jobs from new technologies ,, perhaps not easy for the "fossils " among us to comprehend.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:02   #1190

Quote:
I would probably beat you in most things
but that seems to be your problem,, you talk out of the wrong end ,, and it sound like ,, ****
Old 02-12-2019, 13:03   #1191

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I hope LaV has a video or two ready to upload when they are in cell range. It would be good business to strike while the iron is hot.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:18   #1192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
I hope LaV has a video or two ready to upload when they are in cell range. It would be good business to strike while the iron is hot.
on tuesday the news agencies will be falling over themselves to get an interview,no doubt paying big money to elayna's agents to be the first.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:20   #1193

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
but that seems to be your problem,, you talk out of the wrong end ,, and it sound like ,, ****
This is another reason why it's impossible to engage in civil discourse these days. All it takes is one "standout" in the crowd, regardless of where they "stand" on any particular issue.

Maybe it's worth repeating at this point what someone far wiser than me once said . . .

"The trouble with this world is that
the ignorant are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Old 02-12-2019, 13:22   #1194

Quote:
on tuesday the news agencies will be falling over themselves to get an interview,no doubt paying big money to elayna's agents to be the first.
I just saw Elayna on the B&G website while looking into some backup electronics for my boat. She must have some talented agents.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:23   #1195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Or, put another way, you've introduced a permanent shock exponentially increasing in magnitude to the system and you expect the pattern to continue?

Genuinely curious.

Is that unconscious hyperbole or do you actually understand the concepts of exponential growth and orders of magnitude?
Old 02-12-2019, 13:31   #1196
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I just saw Elayna on the B&G website while looking into some backup electronics for my boat. She must have some talented agents.
she might be a rubbish wannabbe pop singer,but she definitly knows how to extract every last dollar as an "Influencer"
Old 02-12-2019, 13:32   #1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Next time there is a hurricane coming...strap yourself to a pole and try to argue with it.

That reality.
Your alarmism -- as opposed to those who believe CC is real, is having an impact, but is not likely to be catastrophic -- is only supported by a minority of the scientific community, regardless of how it's reported in the media you choose to limit yourself to. I'd recommend re-reading the excerpt from the study Gord posted above.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:38   #1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
An amazing set of people (I love that group photo at the start. Youthful, optimistic, full of hope and on a mission. And invisible Dad keeping an eye on his little girl - does he even like sailing?) spreading the very simple message: let's find solutions to suit us all.

It should not be so difficult. Most of the things we do today and consider part of our human rights we have only been doing for a couple of decades: flying everywhere almost for free, driving huge cars, eating far too much meat, dumping half the food we produce, turning our oceans into plastic soups, etc. And then why is it that in terms of happiness, countries such as the US and those in Europe hit peak happiness in the 70's? It's been downhill ever since, even though we all got richer. Although, coming to think of it, I don't think the majority really got that much richer.
Finding "a solution to suit us all" is certainly a noble opening to an honest discussion with open minds. However, when one first collects bunches of convenient outrage items (racism, colonialism, pick your gripe...) and mixes them in with one's primary cause... well, it's simply a recipe for eye-rolling. Noise. The primary cause suffers as a result. The conversation stops.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:39   #1199

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeeler View Post
https://skepticalscience.com/climate-scientists-in-it-for-the-money.htm

I know this guy won’t read the links to real facts but his opinions are just that. Try reading a little about the science.

Anyone quoting SS as a source and talking about "real facts" immediately falls into the "blinkered alarmist with no scientific comprehension" bin.
Old 02-12-2019, 13:43   #1200

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
if any kids are suffering anxiety where are the parents ? somewhere in denial ???

One is sailing with his daughter and pandering to her anxiety
Closed Thread