Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 06:56   #436

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think tactics are somewhat being dictated by their shore based weather guru.. the clawing South the first few days was to get them clear of the worst of the fronts coming across, and they still copped for some heavy weather.. would have been much worse up North running E with the Stream as it (the wind) went from NW to N to NE..
Thank you , I suspected it might have been tactical
Old 22-11-2019, 07:03   #437

They had better get a move on or they will miss the breeze from that high altogether , does anyone have their phone number , I will give her a quick call !
Old 22-11-2019, 07:10   #438
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
They had better get a move on or they will miss the breeze from that high altogether , does anyone have their phone number , I will give her a quick call !
it better be quick sat phone calls are about $ 10 a minute.
whilst you are about it ask them for a photo of greta at the top of the mast
Old 22-11-2019, 07:25   #439

Boat: Beneteau First 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Who said it was well planned? Who said the boat was properly prepared for this passage? I genuinely ask. It seemed to happen very quickly. They have one professional crew this is a big plus.

As this thread has been debating (albeit from afar) the safety decisions made by the LaVag crew, here's a couple of small factual corrections to previous posts:

The LaVag team stated that they spent 7 days preparing the boat - i.e. not the 3 days being quoted throughout this thread. Even though she was already in good shape, agreed that everyone would want longer than this, but they worked long days - surprising how much you can get done with a deadline.

Secondly the little boy is 12 months old (or will be either days before or after landfall in Lisbon - 6th Dec), not the 5 months quoted throughout this thread. This doesn't hugely change the fundamentals of your debate, however he is neither a tiny baby nor is he thankfully yet fully able to toddle - so it improves the situation slightly.
Old 22-11-2019, 07:29   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it better be quick sat phone calls are about $ 10 a minute.
whilst you are about it ask them for a photo of greta at the top of the mast
I am sure for whatever reason you have you would love that , but I think I can almost guarantee you that they have more pressing and relative issues on hand , like playing their board game , or counting stars , in fact almost anything
Old 22-11-2019, 07:34   #441
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbiep View Post
As this thread has been debating (albeit from afar) the safety decisions made by the LaVag crew, here's a couple of small factual corrections to previous posts:

The LaVag team stated that they spent 7 days preparing the boat - i.e. not the 3 days being quoted throughout this thread. Even though she was already in good shape, agreed that everyone would want longer than this, but they worked long days - surprising how much you can get done with a deadline.

Secondly the little boy is 12 months old (or will be either days before or after landfall in Lisbon - 6th Dec), not the 5 months quoted throughout this thread. This doesn't hugely change the fundamentals of your debate, however he is neither a tiny baby nor is he thankfully yet fully able to toddle - so it improves the situation slightly.
thats good to know,that should double his life exprctantcy in a liferaft to about 18hours,is the mother able to breast feed?
Old 22-11-2019, 07:35   #442

Quote:

It might not change any fundamentals of any debate but it shows the desperation of certain characters/ types in their need to exaggerate anything which they can to try to desperage on this voyage , fortunately it reflects rather badly on them and their efforts and not LaVag et all .
Old 22-11-2019, 07:42   #443

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

My take is that their prep was reasonable for an actively cruising (so at least partially outfitted for offshore), newish boat. Plus they added pro crew. Seems reasonable at first glance.

I crewed on essentially the same crossing in May and we spent about 10 days in NYC prepping the boat (it was already well equipped and in good condition...I spent a lot of that time resolving issues with brand new electronics installation) and waiting on weather window (frontal passage). Probably no more than 7 days of actual prep work. I was confident we were well prepared...if not I would have elected to stay in NYC.

Taking the baby I still think is not the most prudent choice, regardless of months of age. Their ability to withstand infection/injury/exposure is far less than an adult just due to small body mass. Look back at how fast things went down hill for Rebel Heart due to baby health concerns. And of course adults can weigh the risk/reward for themselves...a baby cant.
Old 22-11-2019, 07:46   #444

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
It might not change any fundamentals of any debate but it shows the desperation of certain characters/ types in their need to exaggerate anything which they can to try to desperage on this voyage , fortunately it reflects rather badly on them and their efforts and not LaVag et all .
What rubbish, the fact is on rather short notice they undertook a passage into a active hurricane zone, on a schedule that's just a fact , sugarcoat it all you want. As mentioned several times in this thread Hurricanes are unpredictable, it turns out this particular storm is co operating for them BUT there was always a good chance it wouldnt.

Taking unnecessary risks like out of season passage making is not good seamanship regardless of the course, this was a unnecessary voyage. A nice happy ending and a good story dosent make it a wise decision.

Cats as well as monos have been lost before doing this route at this time and were labelled foolish, somehow this is different.

I admire them as a young couple, but that dosent cloud my judgement just to get a warm fuzzy feeling. It's not a good example they are setting for the thousands that follow them, the thousands that have no idea what passage making is about.

Are you saying sailing in a active hurricane zone on a schedule with a very small child and a not so small child is wise? answer the question honestly.
Old 22-11-2019, 07:49   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My take is that their prep was reasonable for an actively cruising (so at least partially outfitted for offshore), newish boat. Plus they added pro crew. Seems reasonable at first glance.

Taking the baby I still think is not the most prudent choice, regardless of months of age.
Their choices, their right... I see no point on keeping going on about what should have or not been done. The good news is that once you go out there you are all able to make your own "sensible" decisions.

Wishing best of luck to all and I am sure they will make it safe to Lisbon very soon.
Old 22-11-2019, 07:54   #446

Boat: Beneteau First 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
I agree. You forgot to mention their professional shore based weather routing assistant.
I'm pretty certain that the eminently qualified Christian Dumard (author of multiple racing / sailing books) is not assisting them with shore based based routing - despite Riley saying that he was in the pre-departure radio interview.

His company's fees are usually not cheap - maybe that's why. I believe that everyone else is assisting GT for free.

99% certain that all the routing and met is being done by Nikki and Riley onboard. Maybe they have him as backup but haven't needed to use him yet?
Old 22-11-2019, 08:14   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
What rubbish, the fact is on rather short notice they undertook a passage into a active hurricane zone, on a schedule that's just a fact , sugarcoat it all you want. As mentioned several times in this thread Hurricanes are unpredictable, it turns out this particular storm is co operating for them BUT there was always a good chance it wouldnt.

Taking unnecessary risks like out of season passage making is not good seamanship regardless of the course, this was a unnecessary voyage. A nice happy ending and a good story dosent make it a wise decision.

Cats as well as monos have been lost before doing this route at this time and were labelled foolish, somehow this is different.

I admire them as a young couple, but that dosent cloud my judgement just to get a warm fuzzy feeling. It's not a good example they are setting for the thousands that follow them, the thousands that have no idea what passage making is about.

Are you saying sailing in a active hurricane zone on a schedule with a very small child and a not so small child is wise? answer the question honestly.
Holy **** , if everyone took the feartie approach like you no one would ever do anything !! Was it a wise decision for the Portuguese fishermen to continue to push the envelope before they fell off the edge of the world , for Hillary to climb a mountain in the snow , omg , was it safe to go to the moon !!! Man up man
Old 22-11-2019, 08:16   #448

You like to keep harping on about some unfortunate couple and their baby ( whom I have tbh never heard of before ) despite the dissimilarity bing pointed out time and again ,,, have you ever heard of Rosie Swale ??
Old 22-11-2019, 08:20   #449
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Holy **** , if everyone took the feartie approach like you no one would ever do anything !! Was it a wise decision for the Portuguese fishermen to continue to push the envelope before they fell off the edge of the world , for Hillary to climb a mountain in the snow , omg , was it safe to go to the moon !!! Man up man
i don't believe any of them took 11 month old babies along for the ride,therefore i can only conclude that you are a troll from your comments to well reasoned out posts,
Old 22-11-2019, 08:29   #450

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
You like to keep harping on about some unfortunate couple and their baby ( whom I have tbh never heard of before ) despite the dissimilarity bing pointed out time and again ,,, have you ever heard of Rosie Swale ??
The last time the naysayers on CF got all het up was over an incident with Rebel Heart where a family set off across the Pacific and, because the baby got sick (and a bunch of mechanical stuff) they had to be rescued by the Navy and scuttled the boat. CF in general were pretty down on Eric (the captain and husband) in the first place and the incident provided ages of entertainment for the online crowd. Actually it provided ages of entertainment for the world in general as it became a pretty big news story with the more judgemental going nuts over the fat that anyone would dare endanger a baby on the ocean.

Personally I think taking your baby, infant, toddler etc. with you regardless of of the "danger" of life in general is still more admirable than stuffing them in a germ-infested daycare for 60% of their waking hours and then ignoring them when they get home.
Closed Thread